Dean Smith

Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Smith has shown in the past he keeps learning and adapts.  Some people on here don’t agree with that but a lot do.

Agree with your appraisal of smith but they’ll come a point Smith will hit a ceiling and we will outgrow him. This is where we differ in opinion as I cannot see Smith being allowed to learn on the job for any longer & crunch time will come. The Toon x Saudi takeover brings added pressure on Smith now, and if the patchy form continues until the next international break we will see how ruthless NSWE & Co are. 

My big concern is how do we fit Bailey & Buendia  into 352 and nowhere near convinced about the back 3, let’s see when he has a fit squad to choose from. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The jury is still out at this level for Smith.

I’m sorry but that’s just not true!

I’m ok with fair criticism but I’ve heard we are getting relegated tonight and the jury is still out for Smith at this level.  Emotions are making some extreme comments tonight.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t agree with this, I don’t think his position is under threat if he got 12th.  We all want more but if he got 12th he’ll be around next season imo.

I think he would still be here if we finished 12th but he would be on very thin ice next season and unless we have a very good start he would be gone I think

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure what Smith did wrong today.  He set them up (I know a lot don’t like his current formation) and while a fairly even first half, he had a half time team talk, we came out took a comfortable 2-0 and made reasonable subs (two players asked to come off and Luiz you could see the jet lag effect).  But then in the space of ten minutes the on the pitch let us down.  How was that Smiths fault?  Seriously I don’t see how that was his fault? It was ten minutes of madness, not sure any manager could’ve been blamed for that.

I think the timewasting at 2-0 must have come from Smith and allowed Wolves to get back in the game rather than just slowing the game down and keeping the ball (which we have always been AWFUL at doing under Smith and it still angers me). 

Luiz was unfortunate, maybe he had to go off because of travelling, but the changes we made were very defensive. Sanson could have been one to get us up the pitch, maybe even AEG for Buendia if he did ask to come off, but Nakamba and Ramsey was always going to invite Wolves on to us. I also think Tuanzebe should have come off earlier as he had a poor game from the start and I'll be very disappointed if he starts the next game. 

I just think any game where you're 2-0 up as a manager and lose you have to take the blame. We had 10 minutes + stoppage time to go and managed to ship 3 goals against a team that didn't even have its danger marksman on until the end.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We have had 2 games from 8 (25%) in the league this season where the performance was unacceptable. That isn't even taking into account a very bad game against Spurs. That is too many imo

Really? 8 games you’re using that as your sample size!  Seriously!

In 2018 Wes Edens fired Milwaukee Bucks coach, Jason Kidd, mid season with a 23-22 record. Kidd had been with the Bucks four years and was popular with the players. Edens is not afraid to make decisions-he is a successful businessmen after all. He saw what we all saw today, it’s his money invested . 

• Like 4

Just now, nick76 said:

Really? 8 games you’re using that as your sample size!  Seriously!

I have no choice but to use 8 games as my sample size. That is the amount of games we have played. It is also the amount of games the other teams in our league have played and it is those teams that our results are measured against

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

In 2018 Wes Edens fired Milwaukee Bucks coach, Jason Kidd, mid season with a 23-22 record. Kidd had been with the Bucks four years and was popular with the players. Edens is not afraid to make decisions-he is a successful businessmen after all. He saw what we all saw today, it’s his money invested . 

Too be fair though, Jason Kidd was an awful coach for them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m ok with fair criticism but I’ve heard we are getting relegated tonight and the jury is still out for Smith at this level.  Emotions are making some extreme comments tonight.

One person suggested relegation and all comments in response where saying it was nonsense 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think the timewasting at 2-0 must have come from Smith and allowed Wolves to get back in the game rather than just slowing the game down and keeping the ball (which we have always been AWFUL at doing under Smith and it still angers me). 

Luiz was unfortunate, maybe he had to go off because of travelling, but the changes we made were very defensive. Sanson could have been one to get us up the pitch, maybe even AEG for Buendia if he did ask to come off, but Nakamba and Ramsey was always going to invite Wolves on to us. I also think Tuanzebe should have come off earlier as he had a poor game from the start and I'll be very disappointed if he starts the next game. 

I just think any game where you're 2-0 up as a manager and lose you have to take the blame. We had 10 minutes + stoppage time to go and managed to ship 3 goals against a team that didn't even have its danger marksman on until the end.  

So you view it as “the captain always goes down with the ship?”

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think the subs were the right ones.  AEG or Traore would’ve opened us up replacing either Buendia or Luiz, so Ramsey or Nakamba was right.  I agree about Tuanzebe poor game.  Sanson has been out for soooo long, had one or two games here or there whereas Ramsey and Nakamba have games under their belt this season and looked good, it made sense to bring on them on rather than risk Sanson who isn’t match fit and hasn’t played much.

Of course Smith will take the blame because he’s the manager, I just don’t see what he or any other manager could’ve done in that manic ten 10 minutes, I just don’t!  We were comfortable, he took off players that had to come off, replaced with reasonable subs but for some reason we imploded on the pitch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Good point. So if he gets sacked, you’re all correct. If not, you’re wrong. Let’s see.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Agree with your appraisal of smith but they’ll come a point Smith will hit a ceiling and we will outgrow him. This is where we differ in opinion as I cannot see Smith being allowed to learn on the job for any longer & crunch time will come. The Toon x Saudi takeover brings added pressure on Smith now, and if the patchy form continues until the next international break we will see how ruthless NSWE & Co are. 

My big concern is how do we fit Bailey & Buendia  into 352 and nowhere near convinced about the back 3, let’s see when he has a fit squad to choose from. 

If Smith hits his ceiling I will agree but I don’t see that he has and I still see a lot more potential in him. IMO his job isn’t at risk this season at all.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think the subs were the right ones.  AEG or Traore would’ve opened us up replacing either Buendia or Luiz, so Ramsey or Nakamba was right.  I agree about Tuanzebe poor game.  Sanson has been out for soooo long, had one or two games here or there whereas Ramsey and Nakamba have games under their belt this season and looked good, it made sense to bring on them on rather than risk Sanson who isn’t match fit and hasn’t played much.

Of course Smith will take the blame because he’s the manager, I just don’t see what he or any other manager could’ve done in that manic ten 10 minutes, I just don’t!  We were comfortable, he took off players that had to come off, replaced with reasonable subs but for some reason we imploded on the pitch.

We were 2-0 up, shoulda brought off a striker, Watkins maybe, shock horror.

Â