Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

One thing I do know for sure is that Dean Smith knows more about football management then anyone one here.

Just because someone is a subject matter expert does not mean they can effectively do the job using their knowledge. It is normal that the people lower down the food chain know more about the technicalities of the job than the management do. But managers still sack people for underperforming, Effecting change and delivering material results are down to more than just knowledge

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

@VillaFaninLondon Yeah the Leicester game thing was reported in press he'd have been out if we'd lost to Chelsea.

I actually meant more over the xmas period when we lost 3-1 at home to Southampton and then 3-0 at Watford. Many prem owners would've sacked him then with half a season still to play. We also lost 6-1 to Man. City around that time. I remember us going to Burnley, playing well and winning 2-1 and Purslow coming on to the pitch to hug DS so with that type of reaction it was probably in their heads around that time but they wanted to give him the season if they could.

Favre actually flopped a bit at Dortmund so he won't be on radar of CL clubs....but did really good jobs at 'Gladbach and Nice in last decade so shown he can improve mid table teams significantly. He was supposed to be close to joining Crystal Palace in summer so certainly isn't some unrealistic shout. Think with what we have in squad now getting one of those pressing managers from Bundesliga would really suit us, Roger Schmidt might be another good shout.

Agree with the rest. DS done well for us but don't think he's quite good it in him to take us to the heights O'Neill did (and that was seen as underachieving at the time of course).

He finished second 2 seasons running, won a cup, and signed Haaland for a snip, but yes in his third season he fell short of expectations. But I think he would be an interesting choice for us if we were able to get someone like that here. 

O'Neill is used as a benchmark for us, but I want our goals to be loftier than that. O'Neill signings bar maybe 5 or 6 were largely a disaster and his control on football proceedings meant he got away with squandering a lot of money. Thankfully I think we have a much better structure now, but I don't want us to get into Europe for 2 or 3 seasons and then just disappear into obscurity again. I also actually want us to build a squad to try to win competitions like the Europa and not just field a reserve team like O'Neill did in Moscow.

It'll be up to the owners to show their hand. Smith will probably keep us midtable, but results like today show he probably will never really be a top manager. It's not just a one-off, he's made mistakes like that time and again since being our manager and there's only so many times you can keep saying he's still learning before you realise he's actually just limited. 

• Like 1

All our best performances since we were promoted have been about high pressing, counter attacking and having wide players who cause our opposition problems.

We've all wondered if we need better midfield players especially defensive ones, but rather than address that we seem to have decided to jettison the wingers, go three at the back and hope Ings and Ollie quickly form a partnership. This has often led to better possession football, at the expense of creating many chances.

I would genuinely rather we dropped Axel and Watkins and played Anwar and Bidace when at home playing against teams out of the Sky 6. I know Traore is injured but he could have come in before now, Buendia could have played wide also.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Can't speak for anyone else but if we'd have lost this game in the normal fashion I wouldn't be as downcast. To throw it away like we did today shows a severe mental weakness that I thought we'd stamped out.

I agree it was a shocking last 10 minutes or so and we have been pretty mentally tough recently. I can’t explain it really we just collapsed. Hopefully a one off and not the start of a new pattern. If we react well against Arsenal and get a good performance and hopefully a result too then we can put it down to just one of those things. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Just because someone is a subject matter expert does not mean they can effectively do the job using their knowledge. It is normal that the people lower down the food chain know more about the technicalities of the job than the management do. But managers still sack people for underperforming, Effecting change and delivering material results are down to more than just knowledge

Dean Smith is doing his job effectively though 😂 One shitty result from a dogshit 15 minutes and suddenly he needs to be put on performance review by the fans.

21 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No he’s not, you know that. But there wasn’t anything wrong with that statement. 

When has it ever been different? Name a season when our best players might not have left if we'd done poorly? 

He's said it multiple seasons. 

12 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

I think its more the worrying manor of the defeat more than just simply a defeat. Also not sure Purslow and the owners will be too keen to accept 12th after all the money spent tbf.

I don’t disagree that the last 10 minute collapse was a shocker but I’m pretty sure the board always take a more balanced and bigger picture view rather than one game. Good or bad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Dean Smith is doing his job effectively though 😂 One shitty result from a dogshit 15 minutes and suddenly he needs to be put on performance review by the fans.

He's always one bad result away from this. The claws are reluctantly retracted when we're doing well but spring back out with ruthless quickness once something bad happens.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t disagree that the last 10 minute collapse was a shocker but I’m pretty sure the board always take a more balanced and bigger picture view rather than one game. Good or bad. 

They definitely will which is why i said they wont likely accept 12th as comfortably as some fans would. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

I think its more the worrying manor of the defeat more than just simply a defeat. Also not sure Purslow and the owners will be too keen to accept 12th after all the money spent tbf.

The owners need to apply context to the spending

And need to spend more if they want to be better than 12th 

That's the PL, everyone spends, most of the teams above us have spent more and have higher record transfers

• Like 3

Just now, Keyblade said:

He's always one bad result away from this. The claws are reluctantly retracted when we're doing well but spring back out with ruthless quickness once something bad happens.

It amazes me when people will say “I’d be happy finishing 8th-10th as that would be progress” then every time we don’t win the in depth analysis about why our form will get us relegated breaks out as though teams that finish 8th-10th don’t lose a third of their games every season

• Like 2

Just now, a m ole said:

Every loss is shitty, it’s football. The teams that don’t lose win the **** league.

That's rubbish.

The loss to Chelsea was not shitty, it was a good performance. The loss today and to Watford were shitty because they should not have happened. We cannot keep doing this and it must be rectified. It is not about winning every game and teams that win the league also lose games. It is about delivering results and performances commensurate to the investment, support and resource that are available. We are not doing that. We must fix that and start doing that

• Like 1

Â