Dean Smith

Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

And we’re 12th, mid table. 3 points from 14th and 2 points from 7th. On goal difference which is an excellent indicator of a teams ability to score and prevent goals, we’re actually joint 10th.

So, around where we expected then?

Not from what purslow and the owners have stated in their ambitions - if villa finish 12th smith will certainly not survive as boss 

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Whenever we win Smith deserves the credit; whenever we lose it's always the players' fault.

The completely illogical mind of those who relentlessly defend Smith at every turn. 

I’m not sure what Smith did wrong today.  He set them up (I know a lot don’t like his current formation) and while a fairly even first half, he had a half time team talk, we came out took a comfortable 2-0 and made reasonable subs (two players asked to come off and Luiz you could see the jet lag effect).  But then in the space of ten minutes the on the pitch let us down.  How was that Smiths fault?  Seriously I don’t see how that was his fault? It was ten minutes of madness, not sure any manager could’ve been blamed for that.

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I didn’t watch the game so perhaps don’t have as much of a stake in the discussion but looking at it, we were cruising, had a 15 minute meltdown and lost the game, it happens.

Move on and do better.

Yep “it happens” but too regularly over the years. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Potter went abroad and got unknown Swedish club into europa knock outs so he does have that on his CV.

I don't see DS in conversation for those jobs really. Rightly or wrongly people will look at him having Grealish for large parts of his reign and also money he's spent and conclude he's had resources other similar standard managers haven't e.g. Sean Dyche.

Can certainly see him being in England contention though post Southgate as he conducts himself the way the FA like and generally appoint managers e.g. low key and not stirring things up. Plus he's managed a fair few already in England squad and would be respected.

I think you're doing him a disservice honestly. Any club looking at how much he's progressed us in a short space of time, and the football he's had us playing should be enticed. Hell, even some of the big clubs. If I were a Spurs or Arsenal fan during the summer I might have been casting an envious eye at Villa and Smith.

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If he's better than a midtable manager than surely he would be doing better with this midtable squad seeing as we're actually below the middle of the table?

too early in the season to make any assessment 

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree that Smith learns and improves. My comment was saying that it is unacceptable to simply move on, we must learn. However, Smith needs to up the speed of his learning. His position will become untenable if we have too many more performances like this

But we don’t have many like this, we have just as many if not more the opposite way from Man U performance and win and Chelsea performance as well.  This was an implosion I agree.  I don’t think his job is at any risk at all.

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

People that post this are such children. There are plenty of examples where Deans lack of subs or poor game management has deserved criticism but god forbid people argue that Dean shouldn’t be blamed for the collapse in this game.

Many are the same who mouthed off at posters when Grealish was said to be leaving and were proved to be wrong   Some people just like the sound of their own voice - it’s a results business , smith has had huge finances at this club - no, ifs buts or excuses - if we do not improve on last season he will 100% be gone 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, some people just fail to understand when the best time is to sell a player. They don't seem to be able to take into account, age, length of contract, years already amortised and the impact on the accounting profit and the P&S consequences of said. Buy hey, not everyone is able to see the big picture 

I know yeah, so many just live in a fantasy world where they think players can be moved on willy nilly and someone will come and give them the juicy price they want.

Tough to grasp reality sometimes I suppose.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

O.k Brendan Rodgers then.😉

Leicester were in this situation three years ago under Puel anyway and I think with our squad make up it's very similar to us.

Yes the writing was on the wall for Puel when he dropped Vardy. The jury is still out at this level for Smith. Grealish to a large extent made him look good. We have to stick with him but hopefully he will give up on this 3-5-2 when Bailey and Traore are fit again

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Oh ****, these dickheads are back :D

Our forum was so quiet :D 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Did Leeds win or something, why are these weirdos back?

No, we are looking pretty bad at the moment.

Injuries yes but we have some good youngsters barely getting a look in.

He keeps playing Tyler Roberts who really is stealing a living.

Then Adam Forshaw who has barely played for 2 years, almost permanently injured & not a prem player.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah that's true. When we beat man u, not one player got any credit on here. 

When we beat Everton no one posted one positive thing in the Bailey thread. 

Haha good one.

Gold isn't it. Absolute gold.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure what Smith did wrong today.  He set them up (I know a lot don’t like his current formation) and while a fairly even first half, he had a half time team talk, we came out took a comfortable 2-0 and made reasonable subs (two players asked to come off and Luiz you could see the jet lag effect).  But then in the space of ten minutes the on the pitch let us down.  How was that Smiths fault?  Seriously I don’t see how that was his fault? It was ten minutes of madness, not sure any manager could’ve been blamed for that.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not from what purslow and the owners have stated in their ambitions - if villa finish 12th smith will certainly not survive as boss 

I don’t agree with this, I don’t think his position is under threat if he got 12th.  We all want more but if he got 12th he’ll be around next season imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The players picked are capable of holding onto a 2 goal lead at home for 15 mins

I can point you in the direction of some evidence that suggests otherwise.!!!

But again if the calibre is there - wots the issue. ?  Preparation, coaching, application ?  ....

We've conceded quite a few goals this season. We have regular England CB and a top notch international keeper.  We have the personnel to shut sides out. Do we have the organisation and prep ?

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But we don’t have many like this, we have just as many if not more the opposite way from Man U performance and win and Chelsea performance as well.  This was an implosion I agree.  I don’t think his job is at any risk at all.

We have had 2 games from 8 (25%) in the league this season where the performance was unacceptable. That isn't even taking into account a very bad game against Spurs. That is too many imo

• Like 1

Â