Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, a m ole said:

And we’re 12th, mid table. 3 points from 14th and 2 points from 7th. On goal difference which is an excellent indicator of a teams ability to score and prevent goals, we’re actually joint 10th.

So, around where we expected then?

Stop spouting facts! 😉👍

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

We have Billionaire owners, it's not like the old days under Lerner and Xia. The owners and the board are showing serious ambition and spending serious money, so I would think, expect progression and not to stand still. We are not a club like Southampton Burnley or Newcastle, who's owners just expect to stay in the Prem, we are being pushed and funded to reach European Football and soon enough I would think silverware.

Like I said before you need to apply context

We have spent serious money over a 3 year period trying to chase teams who have also spent serious money but every summer for 5 to 10 years

You can we spent more than spurs this summer but they spent it on one player to add to their already more expensive squad

In that context what they've spent isn't enough 

We aren't Burnley or Newcastle but we aren't spurs or Leicester or even west ham either 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

We have Billionaire owners, it's not like the old days under Lerner and Xia. The owners and the board are showing serious ambition and spending serious money, so I would think, expect progression and not to stand still. We are not a club like Southampton Burnley or Newcastle, who's owners just expect to stay in the Prem, we are being pushed and funded to reach European Football and soon enough I would think silverware.

Literally every club in the league except Norwich and Watford has billionaire owners. That means nothing if you're not an oil state who can skirt FFP laws at will. We're spending decent money, but you're blinded by £ signs. From where we came from (a depleted 5th place Championship team), that's midtable money.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There are obviously better managers out there, it's not exactly like he's Klopp or Guardiola. But I don't see the point in discussing replacing him when there's absolutely nothing to warrant it. Unless we can entice Conte or Pochettino to join us, what's the point? Even they can only take us so far with this squad. We're not finishing in the top 6 with or without Smith. 

I don't think it needs to be Klopp or Poch standard tbh to get us 7th or 8th in next two years. As I've said before Leicester is a very good template for us to follow for a few reasons. Rodgers certainly wasn't in top bracket of coaches when they got him but he's fitted them very well with what they needed at the time.

From the pool of players we have now we certainly need to be looking at one of those Bundesliga manic pressing managers if we need a new one at some point in next 12 months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Good post.

Yep, it's a concern for sure.

I'm certain Smith isn't happy with what we've been doing. Looking forward to Sanson and Bailey getting fully fit.

Big decision for the boss coming up because it looks for all the world like we need a tweak of system and it's his beautiful son Ollie Watkins who needs to be dropped.

Agree. He's got big calls to make for Arsenal and he's got to get them right.

Just read Smith post match interview, he said team “lose a little composure, they got the set pieces & score from them”. 
But he took off Luis/ Bhundia & brought in Ramsey / Nakamba( less technician gifted players ) & expect those 2 have the calmness to circulate the ball / do Ronda/ kill the games off.. 

I am sure as head coach he should know Nakamba /Ramsey are not the technical gifted type like the Latin players that has close ball control and can be task to have composure /do Ronda for 10 mins to see the game off. Samson would be more suitable than Ramsey for this role.

if he don’t have this foresight & just simply bring them on to replace tired legs & simply asked to them to just defend deep, than I am very disappointed and doubt his ability to take us forward. 

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

All of them yep.

So weird they don't.

Yeah, some people just fail to understand when the best time is to sell a player. They don't seem to be able to take into account, age, length of contract, years already amortised and the impact on the accounting profit and the P&S consequences of said. Buy hey, not everyone is able to see the big picture 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Think I'll trust Guardiola's assessment over yours thanks. 

Yep because Guardiola and other top managers don’t praise other managers all the time and at different points of the season.  Not like he’s going to say Potter is shit is he!

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't think it needs to be Klopp or Poch standard tbh to get us 7th or 8th in next two years. As I've said before Leicester is a very good template for us to follow for a few reasons. Rodgers certainly wasn't in top bracket of coaches when they got him but he's fitted them very well with what they needed at the time.

From the pool of players we have now we certainly need to be looking at one of those Bundesliga manic pressing managers if we need a new one at some point in next 12 months.

Funny thing is, if any club in the league were looking to do what you're suggesting, Dean Smith would be near the top if not at the top of their lists of becoming their Brendan Rodgers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

When did it happen before?

• 27 Jan 2021 Burnley 3 Villa 2
  • 3 Feb 2021   West Ham 3 Villa 1
  • 16 May 2021 Crystal Palace 3 Villa 2
  • 14 Aug 2021 Watford 3 Villa 2

How far back do you want me to go?, have a look back yourself, if you can't remember them.....Its not the first time.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The players are at fault for the loss to Wolves. Not Dean

It is important to have someone to blame, whether it be the players, Dean, the referee.
The universe is fundamentally chaotic.

Having said that I personally blame the Wolves players for the loss.

Edited by fruitvilla

Â