Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

That's rubbish.

The loss to Chelsea was not shitty, it was a good performance. The loss today and to Watford were shitty because they should not have happened. We cannot keep doing this and it must be rectified. It is not about winning every game and teams that win the league also lose games. It is about delivering results and performances commensurate to the investment, support and resource that are available. We are not doing that. We must fix that and start doing that

Haha yes we are, put the toys back in the pram. 

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's always one bad result away from this. The claws are reluctantly retracted when we're doing well but spring back out with ruthless quickness once something bad happens.

That's just modern football though. I mean Lampard was doing o.k for a spell but I had a look at one of their forums after we drew 1-1 there last xmas and most of them wanted him gone and he went a month later. Same happening with OGS now.

Average tenure of manager even a decade ago at prem level was probably two and a bit years, now it's pretty much 18 months if you don't have a Pep or Klopp guiding you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Every loss is shitty, it’s football. The teams that don’t lose win the **** league.

Its not just losing and you know it....Its the manner of the defeat....that has gnarked folk.

Brentford will lose to Chelsea, but the manner of it has dignity and pride for their fans.....Ours was capitulation, no other word for it...and its not the first time either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

It amazes me when people will say “I’d be happy finishing 8th-10th as that would be progress” then every time we don’t win the in depth analysis about why our form will get us relegated breaks out as though teams that finish 8th-10th don’t lose a third of their games every season

I think there's just so little recent experience of Villa being midtable. For the last 15 years we were either challenging for top 4, relegation candidates or challenging for promotion in the Championship. Midtable is basically 1 win, 1 loss, 1 draw for a whole season. Ask Everton fans.

There's that, and there's also the people who genuinely think we should be finishing top 6 which makes it a bit more understandable. 

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

Its not just losing and you know it....Its the manner of the defeat....that has gnarked folk.

Brentford will lose to Chelsea, but the manner of it has dignity and pride for their fans.....Ours was capitulation, no other word for it...and its not the first time either.

It was one game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Have some respect for other peoples posts then, even if you don't agree, keep it to yourself, but don't laugh, some would say say that's patronising.

But they're so funny. Cheers me right up after a loss this thread.

41 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It actually is progress from being in the Championship for 3 seasons after 4/5 seasons of finishing 15th,16th etc.

I don't mind us being a 9th-12th placed team for a few seasons after the dog shit I've seen us produce under Doug Ellis, Randy Lerner and Dr Xia.

If I enjoy watching us most weeks, I'm alright to be honest.

That may change at some point, perhaps soon, I dunno.

22 minutes ago, a m ole said:

One thing I do know for sure is that Dean Smith knows more about football management then anyone one here.

DEAN NEEDS TO MAKE SUBS.

DEAN'S SUBS COST US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The players are at fault for the loss to Wolves. Not Dean

Partially agree.

I turned the stream off when they equalised because you just knew what was going to happen.

I think the players and management are equally responsible

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I mean Lampard was doing o.k for a spell but I had a look at one of their forums after we drew 1-1 there last xmas and most of them wanted him gone and he went a month later

And in the intervening time Chelsea have won the Champions League and are now about 60 seconds (at the time of posting) away from going top of the Premier League

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

But they're so funny. Cheers me right up after a loss this thread.

If I enjoy watching us most weeks, I'm alright to be honest.

That may change at some point, perhaps soon, I dunno.

DEAN NEEDS TO MAKE SUBS.

DEAN'S SUBS COST US.

Thanks for that contribution, means a alot??

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Was actually going to say our 1-1 at home to Brentford is actually looking a very decent point now considering the midfield they put out. They've battered Chelsea this half.

There's certainly a difference between losing 3-0 at Chelsea but playing well and manner of how we lost today so yes not every defeat should be seen as a disaster but losing from 2-0 up should never be acceptable especially when we leading going into 80th minute.

We'll see at Arsenal how much it's impacted on the players and manager.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Bit like how we lost to Chelsea but were much the better team?

We aren't going to be the better side every game, sorry. I mean...we probably were here actually. But football isn't fair sometimes.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

That's just modern football though. I mean Lampard was doing o.k for a spell but I had a look at one of their forums after we drew 1-1 there last xmas and most of them wanted him gone and he went a month later. Same happening with OGS now.

Average tenure of manager even a decade ago at prem level was probably two and a bit years, now it's pretty much 18 months if you don't have a Pep or Klopp guiding you.

The thing with those 2 managers is that many of the fans were turning a blind eye to obvious red flags early on in their tenures because they were club legends. Everybody could see that both of those inexperienced managers had their teams playing with no particular patterns of play and relying on individual brilliance to bail them out. Given their world class players, that worked to a point. Eventually their shortcomings become evident even to their blinkered fans as we found out with Steve Bruce, that can only take you so far when you're competing for the top prizes.

It's completely different to Smith who genuinely revolutionized us and progressed us to heights we couldn't even imagine when he took us over. That surely buys him more time, especially after the upheaval of losing our generational talent and talisman and the stop/start preseason we had. Seriously, what do we want as Villa fans? United fans want trophies and they're not getting that, fair enough. What do we want? Unless we want European football this season, I don't see any legitimate reason for the claws to be out.

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It amazes me when people will say “I’d be happy finishing 8th-10th as that would be progress” then every time we don’t win the in depth analysis about why our form will get us relegated breaks out as though teams that finish 8th-10th don’t lose a third of their games every season

We've lost 4 games and played 8. We've lost half of our games not a third. If we'd lost a third of our games so far I'd be perfectly content. 

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It was one game.

but the traits of it are not resigned to one game...its happened before.

If it was a one off, no one would have concerns.

Its the sort of thing Burnley would do to us or Brighton.

The mentality was poor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

And in the intervening time Chelsea have won the Champions League and are now about 60 seconds (at the time of posting) away from going top of the Premier League

Chelsea should sell all their players and buy better, younger, cheaper ones.

Â