Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Good point. So if he gets sacked, you’re all correct. If not, you’re wrong. Let’s see.

He will not get villa into Europe that’s for sure , it’s just a matter of how long he gets before they sack him 

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

In 2018 Wes Edens fired Milwaukee Bucks coach, Jason Kidd, mid season with a 23-22 record. Kidd had been with the Bucks four years and was popular with the players. Edens is not afraid to make decisions-he is a successful businessmen after all. He saw what we all saw today, it’s his money invested . 

I am not looking for Dean Smith to lose his job after that, but he needs to address some serious questions relating to his team.

Anyone leaving the stadium today, must know before Wolves scored and we was 2-0 up, things were not right.....any discerning fan could see, things that made you uneasy in our play. If you left thinking everything is ok, you need a wake up call.

I never foreseen a 2-3 defeat, but well before the 80th minute, i had concerns, concerns I have had before in previous games. I knew, if Wolves applied themselves, we could be in trouble....The result was a travesty, the performance was downright sloppy and lacked any kind of resilience.

I hope Dean regrets saying " Every team mirrors the manager" because I don't think he would want to be associated by that last half hour as a reflection of him.

That result was in the bag, we allowed Wolves back in to the game...that much should be clear.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

We were 2-0 up, shoulda brought off a striker, Watkins maybe, shock horror.

Couldn’t because Luiz was done and both Buendia and Cash asked to come off.  I agree with your point aside from that but he didn’t have a choice.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

He will not get villa into Europe that’s for sure , it’s just a matter of how long he gets before they sack him 

That’s every manager though, in fact it’s everyone in every job.

And no it’s not ‘for sure’ unless you’re Nostradamus.

Edited by a m ole

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He could get us into Europe likely next season.  He won’t get sacked if he doesn’t get Europe this season.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think the subs were the right ones.  AEG or Traore would’ve opened us up replacing either Buendia or Luiz, so Ramsey or Nakamba was right.  I agree about Tuanzebe poor game.  Sanson has been out for soooo long, had one or two games here or there whereas Ramsey and Nakamba have games under their belt this season and looked good, it made sense to bring on them on rather than risk Sanson who isn’t match fit and hasn’t played much.

Of course Smith will take the blame because he’s the manager, I just don’t see what he or any other manager could’ve done in that manic ten 10 minutes, I just don’t!  We were comfortable, he took off players that had to come off, replaced with reasonable subs but for some reason we imploded on the pitch.

Sanson hasn't had many minutes but he was fit to make the bench so you would expect he could have played the last 15 minutes, he also played a really good game at Chelsea in the cup and is technically superior to either Nakamba or Ramsey so would have helped us retain the ball better. 

I mean he's damned if he makes subs and he's damned if he doesn't, but rather than the subs themselves which I agree with you were probably not as bad as made out (especially if Buendia and Cash did genuinely ask to come off), it is more the tactics at 2-0 up. Hoofing the ball all the time, allowing Wolves to take control. We barely did anything of note attacking wise after we scored the second goal, that tells me the management of the game is all wrong and the decision to believe the game was won at 2-0 was an appalling one. 

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure what Smith did wrong today.  He set them up (I know a lot don’t like his current formation) and while a fairly even first half, he had a half time team talk, we came out took a comfortable 2-0 and made reasonable subs (two players asked to come off and Luiz you could see the jet lag effect).  But then in the space of ten minutes the on the pitch let us down.  How was that Smiths fault?  Seriously I don’t see how that was his fault? It was ten minutes of madness, not sure any manager could’ve been blamed for that.

Its not his fault - but he is accountable for results.

I also don't think you look at a 10 minute window in isolation. DS and the players will have been on the training ground all week. Practising defending , put strategies in place  assessing the opposition.

They will have practiced closing a game out.

Was the prep good enough ? As a one off not a problem - but if it keeps happening ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Sanson hasn't had many minutes but he was fit to make the bench so you would expect he could have played the last 15 minutes, he also played a really good game at Chelsea in the cup and is technically superior to either Nakamba or Ramsey so would have helped us retain the ball better. 

I mean he's damned if he makes subs and he's damned if he doesn't, but rather than the subs themselves which I agree with you were probably not as bad as made out (especially if Buendia and Cash did genuinely ask to come off), it is more the tactics at 2-0 up. Hoofing the ball all the time, allowing Wolves to take control. We barely did anything of note attacking wise after we scored the second goal, that tells me the management of the game is all wrong and the decision to believe the game was won at 2-0 was an appalling one. 

We just don’t know on Sanson so I’ll leave that one.  I don’t think his subs were bad or at least those players should have helped not concede 3 goals in ten minutes as they are far better than that.

As for your last sentence, I can’t agree.  For me the players just imploded, it was 10 minutes of madness on the pitch.  That wasn’t game management for me that was just implosion. We just have to agree to disagree whose fault it was.

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

We need to upgrade on Mings, preferably in January. 

I am reluctantly easing my way in to this kind of thinking.....his errors, slip ups etc are happening too often.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Bit like how we lost to Chelsea but were much the better team?

We aren't going to be the better side every game, sorry. I mean...we probably were here actually. But football isn't fair sometimes.

yes, you might have noticed, the lack of concern in that game, despite the stupid errors.

No fairness in love or war.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

We need to upgrade on Mings, preferably in January. 

Genuine question

Is that sarcasm to me because I have got a hard time on here for saying Mings should be replaced or do I now have someone else that feels the same? 😀

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am easing my way in to this kind of thinking.....his errors, slip ups etc are happening too often.

Think he is not the right choice as captain , I’d have given it to mcginn - mings makes a lot of errors and needs to concentrate on his own game 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Many are the same who mouthed off at posters when Grealish was said to be leaving and were proved to be wrong   Some people just like the sound of their own voice - it’s a results business , smith has had huge finances at this club - no, ifs buts or excuses - if we do not improve on last season he will 100% be gone 

Like the ones who mouthed off that Smith should have been sacked because he wouldn't keep us up? Remember those lads?

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Think he is not the right choice as captain , I’d have given it to mcginn - mings makes a lot of errors and needs to concentrate on his own game 

you dont think McGinn makes loads of errors?

McGinn is the poster boy for brilliant one week, could hit a barn door the second.

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Partially agree.

I turned the stream off when they equalised because you just knew what was going to happen.

I think the players and management are equally responsible

Stop talking sense and being rational please.

Â