Dean Smith

Demitri_C

After the Chelsea 1 - 1 last season Dean Smith said it takes about 3/4 seasons to mould a squad where you want it. 

If you excuse the first season where it was buy as many as you can, then he has another couple of seasons of moulding the squad to how he wants it. 

He also said that we're about 18 months away of being able to keep ol'shin splints. The transfer clause was "if Villa are not in the Champions League"..... I think selling him has probably put us back by about 12 months before challenging for a CL spot.

Attack sorted, Defence sorted, GK sorted. He'll sort the midfield next summer. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah. Too bad the damage was already done by then. At that point we were already 3-0 down 

I'm talking about being more pro active. Anticipating your team losing the control of a game and changing/correcting it quickly before the inevitable happens. 

No we weren’t, two of the subs happened at 2-0 down. He also changed the shape which improved our performance after the second goal went in. Unfortunately, a number of players were unprepared for the start of the season due to a lot of mitigating circumstances. 

Mystic Meg has some competition with you, clearly you can see things before anyone else. Can I have the lottery numbers for Tuesday’s Euromillions please. 

Dean Smith continues to improve each year. You don’t know anywhere near as much as you think you do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RadioTom said:

No we weren’t, two of the subs happened at 2-0 down. He also changed the shape which improved our performance after the second goal went in. Unfortunately, a number of players were unprepared for the start of the season due to a lot of mitigating circumstances. 

Mystic Meg has some competition with you, clearly you can see things before anyone else. Can I have the lottery numbers for Tuesday’s Euromillions please. 

Dean Smith continues to improve each year. You don’t know anywhere near as much as you think you do. 

You said it yourself "after" we were 2-0 down. That's being reactive.

At that point it was all too little too late. 

I saw Ralph today making a tactical change after half time when being 1-0 up. He obviously realized they struggled with defensive set pieces against Man Utds height and power. He brought a tall and strong player on to try and combat that. Possibly saved them a point. 

It's little tweaks like that can be the difference between a loss, draw and a win. But you have to be able to read the game and have enough guts and tactical nouse to make those those changes early. 

Would Smith ever make an early change for tactical reasons unless we were a goal or 2 down or an injury happened? Never in a million years. 

Edited by villalad21

I don’t think Smith is out of criticism, as much as we love him he has his own mistakes. Those mistakes he himself fixes it. But usually too late. He waited 6-8 games to realize that Barkley is losing us a lot of points. He then took him off. 
Against Watford he reacted quickly, but usually his late subs costs us some games. It’s not only about quality, as some of his favorite players are on the bench sometimes. But you can feel that he usually keeps faith on those who are in the pitch when it’s clearly looking as a waste of time. 
Even Klopp and Pep aren’t out of criticism, and Pep especially costed his teams a lot of times, lately the CL final. 
It’s as Bruce for example who’s whole management is a mistake itself. Smith is learning too so that’s fine. 
It’s not us that understand a lot, but some basic things which are clear for anyone. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You said it yourself "after" we were 2-0 down. That's being reactive.

At that point it was all too little too late. 

I saw Ralph today making a tactical change after half time when being 1-0 up. He obviously realized they struggled with defensive set pieces against Man Utds height and power. He brought a tall and strong player on to try and combat that. Possibly saved them a point. 

It's little tweaks like that can be the difference between a loss, draw and a win. But you have to be able to read the game and have enough guts and tactical nouse to make those those changes early. 

Would Smith ever make an early change for tactical reasons unless we were a goal or 2 down or an injury happened? Never in a million years. 

After half - time isn't an early substitution .  You actually think someone like Smith who possesses an analytical mind doesn't know how to read a football match?  How ridiculous. He's outsmarted many a manager.

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

After half - time isn't an early substitution .  You actually think someone like Smith who possesses an analytical mind doesn't know how to read a football match?  How ridiculous. He's outsmarted many a manager.

including the last 2 games vs  his boyos Bielsa and Hassnhuttl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think Smith is out of criticism, as much as we love him he has his own mistakes. Those mistakes he himself fixes it. But usually too late. He waited 6-8 games to realize that Barkley is losing us a lot of points. He then took him off. 
Against Watford he reacted quickly, but usually his late subs costs us some games. It’s not only about quality, as some of his favorite players are on the bench sometimes. But you can feel that he usually keeps faith on those who are in the pitch when it’s clearly looking as a waste of time. 
Even Klopp and Pep aren’t out of criticism, and Pep especially costed his teams a lot of times, lately the CL final. 
It’s as Bruce for example who’s whole management is a mistake itself. Smith is learning too so that’s fine. 
It’s not us that understand a lot, but some basic things which are clear for anyone. 

I've tried to make this point as well myself.

I'm sure there were angry Man City fans, I'm not even a Man City fan, and even I thought his lineup, tactics, were bizarre and a mistake, as was the consensus of the general footballing community..

That doesn't mean that Man City fans wanted Pep out, or don't acknowledge his accomplishments, or think he is a bad manager. lol

One could make the argument, that a different manager might have won them that final though? For example?

Anyway, I think most of us have accepted that Dean was also learning, along with the team etc. He even admits that himself. At board level, it's about getting the balance of stability, unity, morale, results, strategy and finances etc right. A long term Head Coach/Manager is probably crucial to that, and also enhances the image you are trying to put forward of the club.

The hiring of upgraded coaches, players etc will obviously help him. He also seems to be a bit more pro active this season, which is a positive.

It also depends on the boards long term vision, obviously.

I don't want us to be one of those clubs where we are chopping and changing all the time, where it's almost as if you have to start the " connection " again ( One of the reasons why Greaseband leaving was so frustrating, not just the playing side )

However again, it's the balance of ambition vs results vs timescale etc etc

If Dean were to get to the pinnacle with Aston Villa, it would be a hell of a love story.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Apologies if I got too worked up or offended anyone… wasn’t my intention, needed to vent…

Just…

…can we not criticise or pick out faults or weaknesses (areas for improvement)  without suggesting that the manager needs to go or that the job is too big for him? It’s all too common… why does every comment along those lines have to include that addition or tag line?

It’s worth keeping in mind and not overlooking the fact that we are constantly working on improving in all  areas, we can all see and hear that Dean is not satisfied and wants us to do better. He will do everything he can to take us as far as possible…

After yesterday’s result, many people may have got carried away and have raised expectations… but not Dean. He only called it an “ok” performance but a good result… he’s not satisfied, that is cause for encouragement… he is also desperate for success…

He is also unhappy and critical when we put in a poor performance or result…

He is honest and never makes excuses… again, something that could not be said for many of our previous managers…

• Like 4

I'm not basing this on any facts, just more of a vibe, but I feel like there's something in the way Smith manages and sets his teams up that leads many fans (myself included sometimes) to think that he's nowhere near as good as he actually is.

25 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Constructive criticism is fine, such as “we need to sort the midfield out” etc. but it’s so often followed with some kind of intimation that Dean should or will eventually be sacked or that the job is too big for him (hang on, he brought us to where we are now. The job wasn’t beyond him or other managers when he came in and we were struggling to get out of the bleeding Championship). He’s made the job “big” because he’s elevated us and taken us to higher levels, every season that he has been here! So if it’s such a “big job”… wouldn’t that mean he’s a “top manager” then?

Loved that entire post but just wanted to bring some extra emphasis to this part. 

The man made the job, how could it possibly be to big for him?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Loved that entire post but just wanted to bring some extra emphasis to this part. 

Sorry, I guess I didn’t explain properly.

What I meant was that before Dean came in, it wouldn’t have been viewed as such a big job, not as much as it is now…

We were stuck in the Championship and struggling on and off the field. Run by charlatans and nearly went into administration…

Dean, backed by our owners (who also deserve immense credit, they saved us off the field while Dean sorted us on the field) brought us back to our feet and has been a resounding success. He managed the team to a record breaking run of victories, he got us promoted, he kept us in the PL, established us in the league and has continually improved and progressed us… he has improved existing and new players… we’ve beaten big teams and achieved amazing results under his tenure…

So…

after all that…

if it’s now being seen as such a big job, that’s only because Dean took us to this level…

So hasn’t Dean achieved or warranted the kind of respect and status to be considered “worthy” of the job, doesn’t he deserve to continue to be our manager and lead us on to further success? He hasn’t let us down…

Again, why suddenly turn on or betray him after all he has achieved?

The notion that we should discard him now, after all he has accomplished, and somehow opt for better (who?) really does sicken and disappoint me.

Anyway…

We can even put Dean to one side…

What I’m actually getting at is, we finally have the good times back. We finally have pride restored to our wonderful club… 

So why risk undoing all of that? And what actual basis is there for wanting to make a change and risking going backwards? When all we have done is move forwards…

People usually say that the buck stops with the manager…

Ok, well doesn’t it go both ways? Positive and negative?

So therefore, who is responsible for our success and revival?

Answer:

Dean Smith 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Oh, I just realised that you weren’t actually asking a question… 🤦‍♂️

😆 I think i best get some sleep!

UTV!! UTDS!!

• Haha 1

Â