Dean Smith

Demitri_C

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There are people wanting him gone. No denying that. But I think the majority feel it would be completely unjustified and he thoroughly deserves to continue as the head coach.

perhaps it would be pretty nifty not to include folk who have just raised a difference of opinion of parts of his set up...like some do, not you.

Wanting him gone and seeing a perceived flaw are 2 competely different things that some folk want to jump on....but hey ho.

I can only speak for myself, but I can honestly say, I have never wanted him gone and still don't.....but I refuse to be silenced, if I see something that I am at odds with.....if he wins every match, to prove me wrong, or wins that many it makes my point insignificant, in such circumstances I will yield.

I am still in favour of strengthening midfield, with a defensive General....despite calls to say we are done.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I must admit, I thought he should probably have gone after the Leicester game a couple of seasons back when we lost 4-0. I thought the only way we’d survive was by bringing a new manager in.

Luckily, Dean turned it around and has improved us. I think he’ll struggle a bit this season but who’s to know. I hope he absolutely smashes it. I think finishing 11th again should be seen as an achievement having lost Grealish. 

I'd say the majority wanted him gone at that point. I did too. We looked totally lost and that was *with* Grealish. Credit to him though he completely turned it around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If you see posts of folk who want him gone, challenge their reasoning, instead of belly aching that is miffs you.

challenge the post, not the poster.

I can't see any reason for Dean to have to go......so the next time you see a post, who wants him out, make me aware and I will challenge the reasoning for you, ok....there, deal?

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

perhaps it would be pretty nifty not include folk who have just raised a difference of opinion of parts of his set up.

Wanting him gone and seeing a perceived flaw are 2 competely different things that some folk want to jump on....but hey ho.

I can only speak for myself, but I can honestly say, I have never wanted him gone and still don't.....but I refuse to be silenced, if I see something that I am at odds with.....if he wins every match, to prove me wrong, or wins that many its makes my point insignificant, then I will yield.

I am still in favour of strengthening midfield, with a defensive General....despite calls to say we are done.

No one is stating YOU want him gone. I’d say the majority of the posters criticising Smith aren’t outright calling for his head.

But there have been calls wanting him gone. As recent as as the last third of last season (I won’t include the one “Smith Out” post that was posted after the Watford defeat I’ve seen).

Re the bold, I stated this in my earlier post but I will reiterate. I don’t much care that a few have called for his sacking. That’s up to them, that’s their opinion. What I have a problem with (my “belly aching”) is the idea people haven’t been calling for his dismissal. That’s what I’m calling out as wrong. It’s not an opinion that people have been posting saying he should be sacked. They have been.

On 25/04/2021 at 20:06, rodders0223 said:

Off you pop

On 25/04/2021 at 20:39, VillaFaninLondon said:

If we've got any ambition whatsoever we need to be looking to upgrade this manager.

On 25/04/2021 at 20:56, grobs said:

For us to move forward as a club he needs to go 

These are just a few.

Again, one more time -

I don’t much care these posters expressed this opinion. That’s up to them. But people stating these posts - “Smith Out” posts - don’t exist are wrong.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

I'm not basing this on any facts, just more of a vibe, but I feel like there's something in the way Smith manages and sets his teams up that leads many fans (myself included sometimes) to think that he's nowhere near as good as he actually is.

I think its more the fact he doesn't have a fancy name or accent and has very little media profile 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There are people wanting him gone. No denying that. But I think the majority feel it would be completely unjustified and he thoroughly deserves to continue as the head coach.

What I always find a little odd when some one is vehement that they want Dean out is that when you ask for suggestions of who they feel should replace him you quite often get a 'not my place to find an alternative'. It's like some people don't think in joined up writing.

Dean is in no way perfect, no manager is, but he has more than earned the right to try and take us further.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, picicata said:

What I always find a little odd when some one is vehement that they want Dean out is that when you ask for suggestions of who they feel should replace him you quite often get a 'not my place to find an alternative'. It's like some people don't think in joined up writing.

Dean is in no way perfect, no manager is, but he has more than earned the right to try and take us further.

Absolutely this. 

It should just be stuck on the top of this thread. Would save a lot of the same arguments. 

1 hour ago, picicata said:

I don't understand why this needs to be said tbh - should be patently obvious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Absolutely this. 

It should just be stuck on the top of this thread. Would save a lot of the same arguments. 

you could also stick on top of the thread, picking up on points, does not equate to wanting him out.....that would also save a lot of false reactions.

People underestimate the power of stability. Unless a coach has totally lost the dressing room or you want an immediate new-manager bounce, there is little point in rocking the boat.

Too many people thinking that life is like Football Manager, when actually (as much as I'm loathe to admit it) footballers are humans and need to be managed accordingly. 

• Like 1

I don't see why discussing a manager's potential ability to lead a team to its latest target is so emotive.

We all have our individual opinions on all things related to Villa, which is why we post on this iconic forum.

I honestly haven't seen any posts over the last couple of years saying "I hate Dean Smith" so the consensus of opinion is that he's a great guy, a Villa fan, one of us and responsible for getting us back to the Premier League.

He also managed to pull off a great escape on the last day of the 2019/20 season. We have a lot to be grateful to Dean for.

Going forward Smith faces new challenges in producing a "Life after Grealish" team. In my opinion and in the opinion of many other posters Dean's football developed into a "give the ball to Jack" scenario which was reasonably effective with a fit JG, but was proved to be a limiting factor by the poor performances and results when JG was injured and missed many games.

The challenge for Dean this season is to coach a system that will allow him to integrate and get the best out of our talented new signings. That's not going to be easy and may take him out of his comfort zone. The rumoured attempt to demote Richard O'Kelly to coach the U23's indicates an awareness higher up in the club that we need to upgrade our coaching (if true).

Time will tell if Dean Smith has the ability to take us up to a European qualification level of performance. We haven't seen it so far because he hasn't had a squad talented enough to make it possible, but if he's to succeed he has to develop a more ruthless streak and be prepared to abandon first eleven loyalties in favour of a more pragmatic squad use.

Dean has earned our support but it isn't something we should give blindly. Praise and criticism are both valid going forward as we judge with the evidence of our own eyes and ears. We will have many disagreements about opinion on here this season, but we needn't fall out over them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

No one is stating YOU want him gone. I’d say the majority of the posters criticising Smith aren’t outright calling for his head.

But there have been calls wanting him gone. As recent as as the last third of last season (I won’t include the one “Smith Out” post that was posted after the Watford defeat I’ve seen).

Re the bold, I stated this in my earlier post but I will reiterate. I don’t much care that a few have called for his sacking. That’s up to them, that’s their opinion. What I have a problem with (my “belly aching”) is the idea people haven’t been calling for his dismissal. That’s what I’m calling out as wrong. It’s not an opinion that people have been posting saying he should be sacked. They have been.

These are just a few.

Again, one more time -

I don’t much care these posters expressed this opinion. That’s up to them. But people stating these posts - “Smith Out” posts - don’t exist are wrong.

If thats so precious to you fine...I agree you have found examples...and as you might now glean, after boring the pants off other posters with this.....I disagree with them.

seen as its its such a pertinent point for you to follow, why don't you ask them why they are at odds with your view.....you seem to be good at that.

I have to be honest, I didn't even notice their stance.

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't understand why this needs to be said tbh - should be patently obvious. 

It doesn't need to be said.....and it is patently obvious to me.

but maybe those that are saying it need to be called out too for over reaction.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

It doesn't need to be said.....and it is patently obvious to me.

but maybe those that are saying it need to be called out too for over reaction.

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean by overreacting? 

11 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

People underestimate the power of stability. Unless a coach has totally lost the dressing room or you want an immediate new-manager bounce, there is little point in rocking the boat.

Too many people thinking that life is like Football Manager, when actually (as much as I'm loathe to admit it) footballers are humans and need to be managed accordingly. 

I think many of us do value stability and a calm demeanor, continuity in football management is precious.

I am not in favour of constantly changing managers, but I am equally as concious, that a club cannot run with losing matches every week , like we have seen in the past( that is nothing to do with Dean, for those doubting Thomas's)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Smith deserves a good crack at this season. The only situation where he goes is if we’re looking like a relegation side around Xmas. I think the board will be asking questions then. 

I agree. 

And I just don't see why someone who deserves a good crack at something isn't given that when it comes to criticism and negativity.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree. 

And I just don't see why someone who deserves a good crack at something isn't given that when it comes to criticism and negativity.

He has given you a reason why and you have chosen to ignore it.....you are very selective in what you read.

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Madness, TRO, is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

can you clarify.....so its ok for others to keep repeating the same thing, but not me.

Edited by TRO

Â