Dean Smith

Demitri_C

His comments on Hogan were interesting. No idea why we kept trying to play it to his feet, kept giving the ball away stupidly doing that. Surely they know by now he's going to make a run beyond their defense for a through ball? So frustrating.

52 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Anyone who is criticizing smith needs to just **** right off. This is Bruce's team. Bruce's mess. Smith has got us playing brilliantly and is trying to sort the blatantly obvious problems asap I.e kalinic. Give your heads a wobble

That makes little sense. If it’s Bruce’s team, them surely he still takes credit for all the good things as well as the bad? The logic of what you're saying is that Dean Smith has no influence on the team at all. It’s Bruce’s team - everything is down  to Bruce. So the brilliant two goals as well as the defensive lapses 2nd half. All from Steve Bruce’s team - nowt to do with Dean Smith?

Have you checked with him that he is happy to be portrayed as having so little influence on events?

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

His comments on Hogan were interesting. No idea why we kept trying to play it to his feet, kept giving the ball away stupidly doing that. Surely they know by now he's going to make a run beyond their defense for a through ball? So frustrating.

For Hogan to be effective , we need creative & sharp midfielders who reads games well / quick release/slide weighted ball thru .. all our midfielders are accumulated by Bruce , the Whelans / Jedinak/ Hourihane etc don’t have such skill set, maybe only Grealish or even O Hare. Would like to see them given games & see what happens ..am sure DS knows what Hogan game strength is as he got him scoring regularly previously. 

The trouble we have is that McGinn aside everyone in the squad is absolutely guttless. Of course the defence is the priority but we need a couple of real hard bastards in the team, we are so weak. 

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That makes little sense. If it’s Bruce’s team, them surely he still takes credit for all the good things as well as the bad? The logic of what you're saying is that Dean Smith has no influence on the team at all. It’s Bruce’s team - everything is down  to Bruce. So the brilliant two goals as well as the defensive lapses 2nd half. All from Steve Bruce’s team - nowt to do with Dean Smith?

Have you checked with him that he is happy to be portrayed as having so little influence on events?

Dean Smith I’m sure is more than happy to take credit and criticism. However he hasn’t to date had any influence on the squad at his disposal, which is where he clearly isn’t to blame. The fact that he has done considerably better with the same inadequate set of players than the man that assembled them surely buys him some slack. 

The parts of our game that are poor are generally down to poor players, making mistakes, Steve Bruce’s squad. The parts of our game that are generally good are down to the way in which they are coached and set up, Dean Smith’s influence. 

• Like 1

It was quite a different style today from the usual with Smith. We didn't play it short to the Chester or Bree once and instead went long to Tammy, which was probably a good idea because it beats the Leeds press. Problem was we had such little control so Leeds were at us constantly. 

I love Smith and how he has gotten us to play.

But today was probably one of those games where a bit more caution and game management when we went 2-0 up might have seen out a victory.

It'll happen with the style we're playing, and our style will win us more points than we lose. But I think we are going to have frustrating days like today where we give away a victory in that manner.

Some defensive reinforcements in January should definitely help

• Like 1

Probably first game since Dean came in that he's worth criticism.

Thought his in game management was poor and just hearing him now saying he was worried at half time? So was I but I don't have the power to change tactics/personnel. We just played the same way which left our full backs majorly exposed and we know what happened with that.

Disappointing as I watched Brentford away to Leeds in what was DS last game there and they were excellent and outplayed Leeds so guess it shows what different styles of squad are capable of.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

First time I voted less than average for him in the post-match threads.

Just didnt show up in the 2nd half - deserved to lose

We had a good opening first 20 minutes but after that I thought Leeds took control and could easily have scored twice in the first half so the warning signs were there before HT.

I think it can be well said that we need half a team of new players at least,  so wished we wasn't playing off a Steve Bruce player build.

January can't come quick enough, I'm sure Dean knows who will be leaving Villa after today and they to themselves will know it's got to be coming there way.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Probably first game since Dean came in that he's worth criticism.

Thought his in game management was poor and just hearing him now saying he was worried at half time? So was I but I don't have the power to change tactics/personnel. We just played the same way which left our full backs majorly exposed and we know what happened with that.

Disappointing as I watched Brentford away to Leeds in what was DS last game there and they were excellent and outplayed Leeds so guess it shows what different styles of squad are capable of.

From what he said post match, as you say, he wasn’t happy at half time. It seems that he wasn’t pleased with how we were pressing and at the start of the second half we played higher up the pitch and looked initially better. However they scored and, to use a well worn cliche, goals change games. After that we were just poor until the last 5 or 10 mins when we looked a little more threatening before another stupid defensive error. 

Im not sure he could have set is up with a more controlled, defensive mindset given the players we currently have. Out score them seems to be the way round our lack of defence for now, we just came up against a very good side. For me we have some problems in midfield too and not just at the back, even though defence is the glaring weakness. Lots to do in January, but getting the right players in and settling them quickly mid season, especially if there are a lot of them, is a hard job. The play offs are still a very realistic target, automatic highly unlikely at the moment, minor miracle stuff really. Then again we have Christian as CEO and Jesus as sporting director so we have the right guys for miracles....

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

From what he said post match, as you say, he wasn’t happy at half time. It seems that he wasn’t pleased with how we were pressing and at the start of the second half we played higher up the pitch and looked initially better. However they scored and, to use a well worn cliche, goals change games. After that we were just poor until the last 5 or 10 mins when we looked a little more threatening before another stupid defensive error. 

Im not sure he could have set is up with a more controlled, defensive mindset given the players we currently have. Out score them seems to be the way round our lack of defence for now, we just came up against a very good side. For me we have some problems in midfield too and not just at the back, even though defence is the glaring weakness. Lots to do in January, but getting the right players in and settling them quickly mid season, especially if there are a lot of them, is a hard job. The play offs are still a very realistic target, automatic highly unlikely at the moment, minor miracle stuff really. Then again we have Christian as CEO and Jesus as sporting director so we have the right guys for miracles....

Easy to say now but I'd have got Bjarni on much earlier, ahead of El Ghazi. Played him out wide with instructions to help out either Hutton or AEM as both were struggling big time. He plays every game for Iceland out wide so knows what to do in that area.

At 2-2 I'd have put Jedinak on ahead of Hogan. Yes a negative move to protect a point but it's better than what eventually happened.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

P*ssed me off that O'Hare is overlooked and they bring on their top youngster and he scores in minutes.

Starting Whelan this game was the wrong call, we needed possession and composure.

They was always going to have more possession, starting Whelan was the correct choice and he had a good game. We lost because our back 4 that started aren't good enough, so many times they were out of position or giving the ball away 

• Like 1

I think the run of games over the last 6 weeks has caught up with the team. We looked tired as a squad last game and looked it again today. We also aren't the same team without Grealish, having someone to hold up the ball and allow the attacking players to get into position. Now that we are getting injuries, it's showing we don't have the quality of depth we thought we had.

Will be interesting to see who is brought in in January, we not only need the well publicised defenders but another ball playing central midfielder, someone who sits a little deeper, urgently to go on with it.

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Some.bad subs today. I would have brought on adomah instead of so ghazi. Taken hutton off and moved bree to th with revan at cb. Make a example of Elmo next game. Drop him from the squad completely and let green play at rb. Give revan his debut

Hutton didn't have a good game but it would have been even riskier to take him off and play Bree there imo. 

Here's a question, did the keeper and or Chester, give Elmohamady a call for that third goal? If so fair enough but if not, they should've done because Elmohamady could have ducked that ball and it goes for a goal kick. However, didn't excuse such a poor header. 

Smith did ok today and made the right decisions imo. My only question of him is, can he not see O'Hare as replacement for Jack whilst he's out injured? Especially now that we're going to be playing the less difficult teams in the league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Easy to say now but I'd have got Bjarni on much earlier, ahead of El Ghazi. Played him out wide with instructions to help out either Hutton or AEM as both were struggling big time. He plays every game for Iceland out wide so knows what to do in that area.

At 2-2 I'd have put Jedinak on ahead of Hogan. Yes a negative move to protect a point but it's better than what eventually happened.

I can’t argue with that Chris. El Ghazi seems to be a moment of brilliance, but then not a lot sort of player. He’s not alone either. 

Â