Dean Smith

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

P*ssed me off that O'Hare is overlooked and they bring on their top youngster and he scores in minutes.

Starting Whelan this game was the wrong call, we needed possession and composure.

That's exactly what Whelan gave us today.

But it's Glenn Whelan so he gets stick.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I love Smith and how he has gotten us to play.

But today was probably one of those games where a bit more caution and game management when we went 2-0 up might have seen out a victory.

It'll happen with the style we're playing, and our style will win us more points than we lose. But I think we are going to have frustrating days like today where we give away a victory in that manner.

Some defensive reinforcements in January should definitely help

At 2-0 up a SB mindset ironically would've been enough, he'd have put  Jedinak and BB on the hour and we'd have scraped our way to a 2-1 win or something as we frequently did last season.

Still I've enjoyed watching us much more in last two and a half months under DS than last 2 and a half years under SB so will let him off this one.

I am expecting a reponse next 10 games though. We have as good a run as you could wish for at this level.

20 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

P*ssed me off that O'Hare is overlooked and they bring on their top youngster and he scores in minutes.

Starting Whelan this game was the wrong call, we needed possession and composure.

Yes beside Grealish, O Hare seemed the only central midfielder with composure / that can keep possession/ circulate ball intelligently. 

Sometimes you do have to see the game out and that's what we needed today. Going goung ho with the defence exposed is a dangerous gamble. However pathetic league two mistakes from so called championship defenders for me I am sick of it. The same culprits week in and out.

He hasn't been here. long and has to work totally with someones squad.  That said I don't get the blind faith in him  - a few posts back someone said "we will steamroller the league next season"  and "Sure DS will take us to our highest league position in 20 years"  - 

Why do people think this ?  - his best finish is 9th with Brentford - and he doesn't have a promotion to his name - to me he just seems like a reasonable lower league manager

• Confused 1

Time to be ruthless now. Has got a tune out of some of these lads and we are back with a fighting chance of top 6 but enough is enough.

I am sure Hutton, Elmo, Jedi and Whelan are great professionals, and great guys, and great trainers. They need to go along with all those who cannot currently get a kick.
Not out the starting line up, out the club, off the wage bill.

January might not be the time for drastic changes but I personally would, seen enough of those old stagers to last a life time.
Thanks and goodbye.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Hutton didn't have a good game but it would have been even riskier to take him off and play Bree there imo. 

Here's a question, did the keeper and or Chester, give Elmohamady a call for that third goal? If so fair enough but if not, they should've done because Elmohamady could have ducked that ball and it goes for a goal kick. However, didn't excuse such a poor header. 

Smith did ok today and made the right decisions imo. My only question of him is, can he not see O'Hare as replacement for Jack whilst he's out injured? Especially now that we're going to be playing the less difficult teams in the league. 

Leaving the ball was too risky as Clarke was behind him. Should've just headed it out for a corner.

Heading it back into the box right where Roofe was standing was mind boggling.

• Like 1

Didn't even realise until know that Albert was actually on the bench.

Another who's lacking match fitness but tbh he's the only wide player at the club capable of tracking back and helping out the full back so once it got back to 2-2 he'd have made more sense to come on than El Ghazi so that's another change DS could have made.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't even realise until know that Albert was actually on the bench.

Another who's lacking match fitness but tbh he's the only wide player at the club capable of tracking back and helping out the full back so once it got back to 2-2 he'd have made more sense to come on than El Ghazi so that's another change DS could have made.

To be fair el Ghazi has prob been our best winger for tracking back in recent games.

46 minutes ago, hippo said:

He hasn't been here. long and has to work totally with someones squad.  That said I don't get the blind faith in him  - a few posts back someone said "we will steamroller the league next season"  and "Sure DS will take us to our highest league position in 20 years"  - 

Why do people think this ?  - his best finish is 9th with Brentford - and he doesn't have a promotion to his name - to me he just seems like a reasonable lower league manager

3-0 away to Boro, 3-0 away to Derby.....

Both those teams could easily be in the top 6.

We've git a sticky patch and need Grealish back a.s.a.p but think it's a bit knee jerk to start writing off the season at this point. Our next 10 games are as good as you could wish for at this level so I fully expect us established in the top 6 by start of February.

If we're not then I will be disappointed in DS.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair el Ghazi has prob been our best winger for tracking back in recent games.

He had a poor game last week and we had no momentum going forward at 2-2 so not the right time to put him on imo. Guess he just thought Albert didn't have the fitness needed to get into the game with Leeds dominating but none of our subs really changed things.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

That makes little sense. If it’s Bruce’s team, them surely he still takes credit for all the good things as well as the bad? The logic of what you're saying is that Dean Smith has no influence on the team at all. It’s Bruce’s team - everything is down  to Bruce. So the brilliant two goals as well as the defensive lapses 2nd half. All from Steve Bruce’s team - nowt to do with Dean Smith?

Have you checked with him that he is happy to be portrayed as having so little influence on events?

It's Bruce's squad that he amassed. A football managers role is more than bringing in players - smith has finally used them in the right way. Are you Alex Bruce in disguise?

1 win in 5, 12 goals conceded, terrible second half displays, throwing points away for fun. 

It's not good enough. I was hoping Smith's nativity would disappear after a few of these, but it seems not. 

Hopefully he starts to learn how to close games out before its too. Auto promotion is now good, could be playoffs before long at this rate too. 

We're so open and easy to run at its embarrassing. But oh well, we get the odd score draw now! 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

1 win in 5, 12 goals conceded, terrible second half displays, throwing points away for fun. 

It's not good enough. I was hoping Smith's nativity would disappear after a few of these, but it seems not. 

Hopefully he starts to learn how to close games out before its too. Auto promotion is now good, could be playoffs before long at this rate too. 

We're so open and easy to run at its embarrassing. But oh well, we get the odd score draw now! 

Blimey, it's a bit harsh to expect the guy not to have a Christmas just because we've had a bit of a lean spell. 😯

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

You can polish a turd, but a turd is still a turd regardless :)

(aka our defence)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

He gave a blinding press conference though :)

Â