Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Definite parallels.

Although Bruce throwing players under the bus is exaggerated on here. He was nowhere near as bad as Jose has been, particularly this season

I think Steve Bruce shoved the fans under the bus much more than he did the players at the end of his reign. Dean Smith has been very complimentary of the fans, I wonder if he was aware of the deteriorating relationship between fans & Bruce. (Given Cabbage-gate, I'm sure he was!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

I think Steve Bruce shoved the fans under the bus much more than he did the players at the end of his reign. Dean Smith has been very complimentary of the fans, I wonder if he was aware of the deteriorating relationship between fans & Bruce. (Given Cabbage-gate, I'm sure he was!)

I think that's exaggerated as well.

I think more of what happens is once a manager falls out of favour, every interview or press conference he gives is ripped apart by fans, especially forums like this. It didn't matter what bruce said by this season, everything he said was wrong.

That's not to say everything he said was good. Far from it. he said some stupid stuff. But it gets amplified on here.

Similarly with Smith, he's saying everything right because we all love him and want him to do well. Give it 2 years and if we're shit by then and Smith is struggling, he could be saying the exact same things in interviews and we'll still be ripping it apart 

(obviously I don't want or think that will happen, I think in 2 years we'll have done very well under Smith, but you get my point)

4 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Disagree. He questioned fans intelligence, accused of creating mass hysteria, among other things. 

Oh I agree he did. But from VT you'd think he did that in every interview he ever gave and explicitly said he hated each and every one of us.

In reality he said a couple of stupid things in a few interviews. If we'd been in the top 2 at the time I doubt people would have even noticed.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh I agree he did. But from VT you'd think he did that in every interview he ever gave and explicitly said he hated each and every one of us.

In reality he said a couple of stupid things in a few interviews. If we'd been in the top 2 at the time I doubt people would have even noticed.

Well he wouldn’t have to say those thing if we were in the top 2 as fans wouldn’t have turned on him. 

I personally don’t think there’s any excuse for a manager to ever have a dig at fans. Once he does that it means he can’t handle the pressure and his days at the club are numbered. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm sure he was aware.

In a press conference he said something like "They're an intelligent bunch, we know that" (On fans), followed with a wry smile.

Cheeky!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm not expecting anything....I am not criticising Dean Smith, you are right he has only been here a few weeks.

just making an observation.

You asked the question in a previous post that maybe you're expecting too much. Now you tell me you're not expecting anything. I'm confused.

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You tell em, Dave. You have my full support and more.

Well come on Sheepy, it's plain obvious why no one can't really get on the man's back yet. Not even had a transfer window being one, inherited a mockery of a defence from bruce being the other, can't slate Smith for that or anything yet, so I'll hear none of it lol.

In my eyes he's done more than good with what certainly everyone can see as plain as day. Smith has had to more than make do with a team that should never of been set up the way it had been, set-up by someone who looks in the end, despite his history to be a complete Noob of football, by his mistakes. Sorry but those mistakes I reckon were that of someone wanting to take us deeper down a dark hole and bury us or someone wanting the sack, which though I do not know.

Do not think Doctor Spock could of made sense of bruce this season.

I fully appreciate your support and I won't forget to repay it hahaaaa. 

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

You asked the question in a previous post that maybe you're expecting too much. Now you tell me you're not expecting anything. I'm confused.

I'll unravel it for you.

• when I said I was maybe expecting too much it was a tongue in cheek comment at expecting defenders to do what defenders do, tackle and get touch close enough to challenge.
  • When I said I am not expecting anything.....meaning I am not expecting anything from Dean Smith in relation to the players not defending, in such a short space of time.

slightly different context.....hope that explains....they were said in different contexts.

I am not happy with the conceding of what I think are quite defendable goals, irrespective of mitigating claims.....hope that explains.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Well come on Sheepy, it's plain obvious why no one can't really get on the man's back yet. Not even had a transfer window being one, inherited a mockery of a defence from bruce being the other, can't slate Smith for that or anything yet, so I'll hear none of it lol.

In my eyes he's done more than good with what certainly everyone can see as plain as day. Smith has had to more than make do with a team that should never of been set up the way it had been, set-up by someone who looks in the end, despite his history to be a complete Noob of football, by his mistakes. Sorry but those mistakes I reckon were that of someone wanting to take us deeper down a dark hole and bury us or someone wanting the sack, which though I do not know.

How can anyone not be thrilled with what this manager has brought to this wonderful club of ours. I firmly believe it's nothing less than an upward trajectory, such is the faith I have in the Messiah that is Dean Smith. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Not one of your better ones Dave.

The bit about folk getting on Deans back , must be a figment of the imagination.

However, if folk can't analytically highlight the rationale behind 3 draws out of 4 without being accused of doubting Dean Smith, I feel its a sad reflection on your interpretation of the comments.

I have not seen anyone on this site criticise Dean Smith.....get over your supposition.

10 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Disagree. He questioned fans intelligence, accused of creating mass hysteria, among other things. 

But, this is the Dean Smith thread, so Viva The Revolution!

Agree 100% with you Bruce was a master of deflection and also a media darling - I somehow get the feeling Smith will fall on his own sword should things not go to plan - I think he would leave with dignity and I would be very surprised should he resort to taking cheap shots at his own.

Under no circumstance can a manager publicly criticise his own fans -  not even one time.

Apart from the obvious biting the hand that feeds it also shows a lack of insight imo as well as rendering your days numbered irrespective of the position of the club - supporters don't take or forget these things lightly 

22 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Sorry to nitpick your post but you mentioned exaggerations from other posters. I see a massive one when you say that VT gives the impression that he explicitly said he hated each and every one of us. No one is implying or stating that as the case. That would be the biggest overstatement I have read about the way Bruce conducted himself on VT.

You mention him saying a few stupid things in a few interviews as the reality of the situation and that the perception of some fans is influenced by Bruce being out of favour.

As we have established in other posts, I personally found issue (however petty and inconsequential this may seem) with the way Bruce answered a lot of questions from the beginning. Even before I had time to assess him from a purely football perspective and when he had my full support and well wishes his commentary irked me. I made that very clear and said that he should focus on building what he wants rather than lamenting a history that was out of his control. I thought it revealed an internal dialogue that shifted responsibility and failed to acknowledge the sheer potential that he had at his feet in managing a club of our size, stature and the personnel afforded him. I don't want to tear into him further because we've done that to death, I think it's safe to say Bruce was not the manager we all wanted him to be for us and I'll leave it there. Bruce is only human but he did himself no favours in retaining any esteem from the supporters of our club.

I just want to be clear, I agree without doubt that the condemnation of Bruce is inflated because the football was not favourable but I disagree with the notion that if Smith falls out of favour he will be torn apart for saying the same things he is saying today. Smith has come in and his words reveal an internal dialogue that takes ownership for what transpires in his world. He is not concerned with the external problems that were ever present in Bruce's remarks about our club and the situations, both past and present, that we find ourselves in.

Smith has come out and said he has a plan for the way he wants to play football and he has specific goals in regards to that. There is a vision. Anyone who's ever achieved in their life knows that getting to the destination is a lot easier when the path is mapped out. Thankfully that seems to be his mentality and focus, developing and implementing a way of playing the game that is appropriate and effective and so it's no coincidence that his words are in line with the action taking place.

Your surprised by exaggerations and over statements ? Gosh I am not even in the very slightest.

Good post though 👍🏻

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Sorry to nitpick your post but you mentioned exaggerations from other posters. I see a massive one when you say that VT gives the impression that he explicitly said he hated each and every one of us. No one is implying or stating that as the case. That would be the biggest overstatement I have read about the way Bruce conducted himself on VT.

You mention him saying a few stupid things in a few interviews as the reality of the situation and that the perception of some fans is influenced by Bruce being out of favour.

As we have established in other posts, I personally found issue (however petty and inconsequential this may seem) with the way Bruce answered a lot of questions from the beginning. Even before I had time to assess him from a purely football perspective and when he had my full support and well wishes his commentary irked me. I made that very clear and said that he should focus on building what he wants rather than lamenting a history that was out of his control. I thought it revealed an internal dialogue that shifted responsibility and failed to acknowledge the sheer potential that he had at his feet in managing a club of our size, stature and the personnel afforded him. I don't want to tear into him further because we've done that to death, I think it's safe to say Bruce was not the manager we all wanted him to be for us and I'll leave it there. Bruce is only human but he did himself no favours in retaining any esteem from the supporters of our club.

I just want to be clear, I agree without doubt that the condemnation of Bruce is inflated because the football was not favourable but I disagree with the notion that if Smith falls out of favour he will be torn apart for saying the same things he is saying today. Smith has come in and his words reveal an internal dialogue that takes ownership for what transpires in his world. He is not concerned with the external problems that were ever present in Bruce's remarks about our club and the situations, both past and present, that we find ourselves in.

Smith has come out and said he has a plan for the way he wants to play football and he has specific goals in regards to that. There is a vision. Anyone who's ever achieved in their life knows that getting to the destination is a lot easier when the path is mapped out. Thankfully that seems to be his mentality and focus, developing and implementing a way of playing the game that is appropriate and effective and so it's no coincidence that his words are in line with the action taking place.

I don't disagree with any of this. And yes I was exaggerating for effect. I see the irony in that but that part of my post wasn't meant to be taken seriously :) 

Basically what I was saying was the part I've bolded in your post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

How can anyone not be thrilled with what this manager has brought to this wonderful club of ours. I firmly believe it's nothing less than an upward trajectory, such is the faith I have in the Messiah that is Dean Smith. 

Beautiful words, just Beautiful 😁

Â