Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I am curious as to Smiths planning for trying to undo Leeds, a game I feel we have no  choice but to win if we are to close the gap and keep chasing the pack.

For Brentford I think he put numbers in the middle and stifled them. They struggled to break Brentford down who were able to counter attack well. They probably could have won that game. 

Whilst I don’t expect a defensive display I think you have to be very disciplined against a team like like Leeds.  One weak link and the will punish you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

While I wished it was my imagination, there have clearly been a number of posts that sound too negative towards Smith for this early on in his career at Aston Villa.

Some people do sound as though they are getting ready to jump on Smith's back if he drops the ball abit. One thing we need to be aware of is giving our utmost full support and at most see the difference in constructive criticising instead of jumping down Smith's throat. I feel that if we do not go up there are going to be plenty who will turn again, all because promotion wasn't achieved in one season. We shall see if fans are really willing to change there attitudes towards managers we get in that obviously deserve that time.

The owners have stated if this season isnt a promotion then it isn't a big demand that we do go up straight away under Smith. The owners have said it takes as long as it takes to get it rite and we as fans have to also take that into our hearts and minds that we may yet have a few more seasons or so before we are back in the top flight again. The main thing is we have a very excellent Coach, who can actually focus on many things at our club that will eventually bring us back to a level we have been failing to play at for around 2 decades.

Dean Smith I would say is a solution that this club needs so it's best we drum up all the support we can for as long as it takes. We will no doubt have some lows under Smith, let's give him the time he needs to get it rite, Dean has an excellent mind and we are fortunate to have him at villa. Where i am sure the past two decades of managers failed to bring success. I think Given time Dean can be that man for us,  he is sharp enough to adapt when faced with challenges.

I am curious as to Smiths planning for trying to undo Leeds, a game I feel we have no  choice but to win if we are to close the gap and keep chasing the pack.

Of all the fixtures we've had to play since Derby, Leeds is the game I think will provide our toughest challenge and I would be forgiving of Smith and the team if Pablo Hernandez and Bielsa cause us some serious problems. I agree it will be interesting to see how Smith approaches this one. No Grealish either.

In regards to Smith, criticism and promotion. I have not read or heard the direct quote so I will have to take your word for it that the content of your post is close enough to what was said by the owners. Which surprises me a little bit. I would have thought Smith has this season and next to gain promotion, perhaps a third if he has come up just shy of promotion the season before and the owners are feeling generous as well as the supporters being behind him.

I have taken some time to try and dig up some background and insight into Edens, especially in relation to the Milwaukee Bucks. He comes across as someone who likes to immerse himself in the project and is extremely ambitious. Appointing Smith wouldn't be the first time he has made an appointment that completely changed a club for the better and improved its standing exponentially within a year. I so hope Smith is that man for us but I get the impression from looking at Milwaukee's rise that there will be changes made when it becomes apparent to Edens that we are not on course to achieve the goals that the club has for itself.

I can see Smith being afforded a bedding-in period to establish himself which will be this season and even then Edens will want some evidence that he has placed his confidence in the right man. From the start we have made it would certainly seem like we could have the right man to take us forward for now.

Which brings me to criticism leveled at Smith. We have failed with a champions league winning manager and player, a manager of four promotions, numerous players from the Premier League and then add to that elite performers of the Championship. For all the accolades and performances prior to joining Villa that these men have, they couldn't manage to come together as a collective and put it together for promotion with our club. You're only as good as your last performance in sport. The saying that form is temporary but class is permanent is horseshit. It implies that some people are better than others regardless of whether or not they are worthy achievers based on merit. It is often the most dedicated and committed people who accomplish the most desirable results. Unfortunately Villa have had a near decade of leadership issues and men who didn't invest the time, resources and effort required to have us functioning at a level that this club is capable of.

Smith should not be immune from criticism just because he is in a new environment and you can't expect people to always be polite and considerate when addressing an issue that they think needs to change. No one is being abusive toward him. If he's the real deal he'll understand it comes with the territory, will take it on the chin and decide whether or not it is valid for himself. Though I do agree that any criticism leveled at Smith would be better accompanied by something constructive. Sometimes it's just about identifying the recurrence of an undesirable trait or habit. Preventative measures and alternative methods come with reflection and consideration. Whilst I respect anyone who refrains from speaking unless they have something good to say it is quite difficult to always be constructive when addressing problems because the answer or solution isn't always apparent.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/dean-smith-aston-villa-transfers-15579434

Interesting article, especially this for me:

But Smith wants to start building his own team and had this uplifting message when asked about transfers.

“We’ve got good loan players here at the moment but I would prefer to develop our own players rather than bringing in loans and improving them for other clubs,” he said.

“That’s just my opinion.

all i gotta say is HALLELUJAH!, developing our own players rather than other teams players, anyone would have thought it rocket science?!?!?!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave-R said:

While I wished it was my imagination, there have clearly been a number of posts that sound too negative towards Smith for this early on in his career at Aston Villa.

Some people do sound as though they are getting ready to jump on Smith's back if he drops the ball abit. One thing we need to be aware of is giving our utmost full support and at most see the difference in constructive criticising instead of jumping down Smith's throat. I feel that if we do not go up there are going to be plenty who will turn again, all because promotion wasn't achieved in one season. We shall see if fans are really willing to change there attitudes towards managers we get in that obviously deserve that time.

The owners have stated if this season isnt a promotion then it isn't a big demand that we do go up straight away under Smith. The owners have said it takes as long as it takes to get it rite and we as fans have to also take that into our hearts and minds that we may yet have a few more seasons or so before we are back in the top flight again. The main thing is we have a very excellent Coach, who can actually focus on many things at our club that will eventually bring us back to a level we have been failing to play at for around 2 decades.

Dean Smith I would say is a solution that this club needs so it's best we drum up all the support we can for as long as it takes. We will no doubt have some lows under Smith, let's give him the time he needs to get it rite, Dean has an excellent mind and we are fortunate to have him at villa. Where i am sure the past two decades of managers failed to bring success. I think Given time Dean can be that man for us,  he is sharp enough to adapt when faced with challenges.

I am all for supporting Dean Smith, as I would do for any Villa manager, who had recently arrived.

Dean has made a good start and i am looking forward to reinforcements in jan.

However, there is a distinction between directly criticising the manager.....and pointing out team weaknesses.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/dean-smith-aston-villa-transfers-15579434

all i gotta say is HALLELUJAH!, developing our own players rather than other teams players, anyone would have thought it rocket science?!?!?!

It is obvious.....but there has been a reason why we have gone down that road.

It seems we have a clearer handle on FFP now.....hoping so anyway.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Surely it's better to get the likes of tuanzabe and abraham in on loan than playing Davies or suliman just purely on the fact they belong to us. If we was loaning in shite and they was getting in ahead of our own I would understand but currently our loans, tuanzabe, el ghazi, abraham, bolasie are all a lot better than anything we have. Maybe now money is less of an issue we can buy these younger players to develop but sometimes in a division like this loans can be better than actually signing the player. 

Edited by holteend1982
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, holteend1982 said:

Surely it's better to get the likes of tuanzabe and abraham in on loan than playing Davies or suliman just purely on the fact they belong to us. If we was loaning in shite and they was getting in ahead of our own I would understand but currently our loans, tuanzabe, el ghazi, abraham, bolasie are all a lot better than anything we have. Maybe now money is less of an issue we can buy these younger players to develop but sometimes in a division like this loans can be better than actually signing the player. 

I understand the general message here and would agree that we have benefited from loan deals in the short term this season and last.

I would however suggest that Davis held his own for over half a season in which we finished 4th and made it to the POF.

Yes Abraham is the superior player but Davis really did show he is capable in the championship, despite not being a prolific goalscorer.

We didn't play over half the season with 10 men, Davis was on the pitch and was a presence and contributor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I understand the general message here and would agree that we have benefited from loan deals in the short term this season and last.

I would however suggest that Davis held his own for over half a season in which we finished 4th and made it to the POF.

Yes Abraham is the superior player but Davis really did show he is capable in the championship, despite not being a prolific goalscorer.

We didn't play over half the season with 10 men, Davis was on the pitch and was a presence and contributor.

He did do pretty well.

but... 1503 minutes, 2 goals, 1 assist.

Tammy managed 5 goals and an assist (in the PREMIER playing for a side that went down) in 1721 minutes.

I do wonder how Davis would do under the current system

• Like 1

I hope Davis gets his chance and DS tries to develop him, i really liked the look of him last season, and if he refines his game he could be a good player.

I thought his link play was really good, he just needs to really work on his finishing / getting in to scoring positions etc 😜

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thug said:

He did do pretty well.

but... 1503 minutes, 2 goals, 1 assist.

Tammy managed 5 goals and an assist (in the PREMIER playing for a side that went down) in 1721 minutes.

I do wonder how Davis would do under the current system

Torres managed to win the Champions League in a season where he scored 1 in every 5.

Which is preferable? The team achieving the highest of accolades with a striker who had a low goal tally.

Or a team being relegated with their striker being prolific throughout the season.

Benteke enjoyed by far his best football at a club that was flirting with relegation and so it's not necessarily any harder to produce for a team struggling.

19 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Obviously this is the ideal situation but I think you have to be realistic. Chelsea currently have 40 players out on loan so there’s 40 promising and talented young players we can’t develop as our “own” for starters.

FIFA are supposed to be taking action on the number of players a club can loan out but I will believe that when I see it. Until then, I think it’s inevitable that we will take some players on loan. We probably have too many at present though and it would be good to see a better flow through from the youth squad. Maybe Smith is good is picking talent from the lower leagues too?

Two big challenges there. We shall see.

Edited by briny_ear

18 hours ago, A'Villan said:

He was alright I suppose but if you have the option of having tammy on loan who would gaurentee you goals for a season you'd pick him every day. Davis not even close to his level. It's always nice for a youth player to come through and do well but quite often they are overrated. 

51 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

He was alright I suppose but if you have the option of having tammy on loan who would gaurentee you goals for a season you'd pick him every day. Davis not even close to his level. It's always nice for a youth player to come through and do well but quite often they are overrated. 

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Davis as overrated and I would actually suggest that he is not as far from Abraham as it might seem by looking at the goal tally.

Go back and watch some highlights of Davis last season, the Barnsley game in particular, and tell me he's not a striker ready for this division. And he's only 20.

Goals make everyone happy and even a little bit crazy and so it's no wonder that a players skill-set is judged to be greater or lesser by how many goals they score.

Abraham would be picked ahead of Davis every time as things are, that is true, though Davis is rubbing shoulders with Abraham and is a lot closer to his level than you suggest.

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Davis as overrated and I would actually suggest that he is not as far from Abraham as it might seem by looking at the goal tally.

Go back and watch some highlights of Davis last season, the Barnsley game in particular, and tell me he's not a striker ready for this division. And he's only 20.

Goals make everyone happy and even a little bit crazy and so it's no wonder that a players skill-set is judged to be greater or lesser by how many goals they score.

Abraham would be picked ahead of Davis every time as things are, that is true, though Davis is rubbing shoulders with Abraham and is a lot closer to his level than you suggest.

was that Barnsley home or away?

Â