Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I can't be arsed to get into Smith in or out, but the form of the team since January is effing awful. Can't beat the better teams, can't beat the lesser teams, can't defend, mostly boring to watch, even when we go in front we end up losing or at best drawing most of the time. Shambles. 

Everyone blames the players but Leeds have a team mostly of Championship players and are flying, plus they've fixed their defensive issues from earlier on in the season.

I said Smith could be up for manager of the year at Christmas, he'll be nowhere near that honour now. And if this continues into next season he'll also be the first to be sacked if he's not careful.

I hope they are not considering offering him a new contract. He doesnt deserved it for me.

Form has to improve massively 

• Like 1

To say he didn't use the subs very well today, what were the options, we desperately needed some physicality in the middle of the park to counter Eze and Zaha, but Marvellous is never good enough, and you could argue that wouldn't have improved it.

If next season we still have the same midfield, then i would agree with the DS detractors.

Just now, Zatman said:

wolves have Everton and United

United will rest their team for final so id rather have those games than ours.

Chelsea could do same if they ahve already qualified for cl

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not the fact that he took wolves in Europe in his 1st ywah no? Just his "exotic name"

Rode a wave of exciting players handed to Wolves on a plate by Mendes with zero injuries. 

As soon as any problem reared it's head like coping with injuries and losing a key player he's looked average. 

If we had the fortune of Jack being uninjured all season Smith would be miles ahead of him. 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nuno who is below Smith in the table? Nuno who hasnt scored a goal vs a Smith team this season?

All Nunos best players have been cherry picked each season if we are honest here.

It seems they are investing for the future, so ok with the stutter in the interim.

Not making an argument for or against, just some perspective.

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Rode a wave of exciting players handed to Wolves on a plate by Mendes with zero injuries. 

As soon as any problem reared it's head like coping with injuries and losing a key player he's looked average. 

If we had the fortune of Jack being uninjured all season Smith would be miles ahead of him. 

Wolves have had jimenez injured longer than we have jack.

You can make all the excuses for smith and excuses for nuno. But nuno for me is a better manager than smith.

Smith makes stupid mistakes and doesbt learn from them

Imagine what would of happened if we hadn't of had the form we had at beginning of the season, we simply would of been down the way we have played this second half of a season.

I'm not sure whether we had luck first half of the season or whether it's bad luck second half it's very tough to even see which is it.

I am concerned now how were going to be next season and I think if we don't drop this damn 4-3-3 we will struggle big time. What is the damn point having Wingers on the pitch if those wingers can't even get in the game at a reasonable amount of time or even make much of themselves. Sure Ghazi scored that's great but it's papering the cracks to the real problem. I would take two Wingers all day long who were in the game and fully supporting there team mates to a winger who scores. It just seems like we're always men down in this formation and it's a good job Watkins makes up for abit of it by making himself do the job of 2 players.

I just think there's slot wrong with the formation we play and Smith has to sort it out, he has to acknowledge that we shouldn't be losing games like this and that more should be done to maintain leads. Let's face it for the second half Smith should of had us change formation and tighten up more, he should of pulled the Wingers off and added them into the midfield. If Smith can't add more goals to the game then the best thing would of been to secure the win and play more defensive.

Seeing what we were capable of first half of the season to seeing what were capable of now is frustrating. It just feel like we're not giving it our all in games recently and that's after we've got ourselves up a goal or two.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We have spurs and chelsea left. We can't even beat crappy palace so the odds on them finishing above us are very realistic as we aint beating eithee of those teams

We'll stay 11th. Wolves got Spurs and Everton away and Man. United at home so think they'll do well to pick up more than two draws although very possible Man. United will put a similar line up to what they did v Leicester against them.

I'm hoping for a good performance v Chelsea at least with 10k in.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

All Nunos best players have been cherry picked each season if we are honest here.

It seems they are investing for the future, so ok with the stutter in the interim.

Not making an argument for or against, just some perspective.

of course but I dont think they have been cherry picked every season. They lost Doherty and Jota they are the only 2 they have really lost since promotion and have spent 80 million on replacements

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

With Grealish back now hopefully the results improve. The big worry was the signs were there of the decline since Jan when he was in the team before he got injured though.

He was miles off it today, just playing it safe which is understandable.

Pretty sobering looking back at this game which was four months ago and how near identical it was to today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55728233

Slightly goes against the narrative of DS is constantly learning and evolving line....

• Like 1

Needs to be more proactive rather than reactive. It’s been his biggest weakness since he started at Villa. It’s all well and good throwing 3 forwards on to try and rescue the game but why not try and influence the outcome when you’re in the lead but under pressure? Change it then? 

Hopefully we continue to improve with Smith in charge though. 

• Like 4

See yhe thing is id give smith a solid 9 out of 10 for 1st half season

The second half (jan onwards) i would give him a 2 out of 10

The majority of 2021 has been really awful from smith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

With Grealish back now hopefully the results improve. The big worry was the signs were there of the decline since Jan when he was in the team before he got injured though.

Probably not. Grealish looks miles from being fit. Fair play to Dean for giving him a chance to showcase before the Euros but he is probably not going to be the answer for our remaining fixtures. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

See yhe thing is id give smith a solid 9 out of 10 for 1st half season

The second half (jan onwards) i would give him a 2 out of 10

The majority of 2021 has been really awful from smith

Strange he is that good but never gets linked to other jobs.

• Like 1

Â