Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Strange he is that good but never gets linked to other jobs.

Maybe because it’s commonly known that he’s managing his childhood club and therefore such links might seem unlikely?

Also, I don’t think Smith not being linked to Spurs or Chelsea is the right metric to use regarding his capability.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

Good point JV.

I always think that aswell when I see him doing his coaching clinics with Shakey, Terry and sometimes Cutler aswell. Camera pans on them all around 60th minute mark and 3-4 minutes later they're still talking. Then another five minutes and eventually a sub starts to be made or some other tactical shift.

It does seem to take an age. Likes of Mourinho and Klopp just decide to do tactical switches and changes as soon as they see things and deal with consequences after the match if result dosen't go the way they want so does seem to me DS lacks confidence at times to go with his gut instinct if he sees a game going away from our control.

There was 10 minutes between 2-2 and 3-2 today so a decent time period to do something. Davis came on as soon as it went to 3-2.

We will have many situations like this next season. And in the following season so would be a shame to keep throwing away points when we have 2-3 better players in our first 11 due to continual indecisive thoughts from the manager.

11 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Probably not. Grealish looks miles from being fit. Fair play to Dean for giving him a chance to showcase before the Euros but he is probably not going to be the answer for our remaining fixtures. 

Well then I think that's us done for the season as Smith has never proven he can get results without Jack in the team. 

• Like 1

We're in the bottom three based on the form guides for the last six, eight, ten and twelve games, only Fulham and Sheffield United have been in worse form. We have to be careful that form  doesn't carry into next season, otherwise we will find ourselves in a relegation battle.

Grealish must be seriously questioning things as well.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We're in the bottom three based on the form guides for the last six, eight, ten and twelve games, only Fulham and Sheffield United have been in worse form. We have to be careful that form  doesn't carry into next season, otherwise we will find ourselves in a relegation battle.

Grealish must be seriously questioning things as well.

If we're in a relegation battle next season after spending another c. £100m in the summer no way will Smith survive. 

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Strange he is that good but never gets linked to other jobs.

Has been 4 managers sacked all season, 2 of them from relegated clubs and Chelsea dont hire English managers. Spurs position is still open 

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Only job I think he’d leave Villa for is the England job.

Somehow I don't think he'll be leaving on his own accord chap!

Problem we will have soon will be like a O'Neil era if we are not careful. Spending and spending to justify the managers ability. We are already talking about spending 100 million next season, what if that don't move us up the league. 

I think we all know Smith was chosen by the board for his coaching abilities of bringing average players through and making them quality. This side seems to have stalled and now everyone is talking about giving him 100 mill to bring in quality. I can tell you, this was not the boards original plan with Smith. So lets see how it goes from here.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I’ve rarely criticised Dean. But when it’s merited I won’t stick my head in the sand, like some. Today was not good, tell it like it is.

No, I think it's fair to criticise. It's the calls about him maybe needing to be replaced. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

To say he didn't use the subs very well today, what were the options, we desperately needed some physicality in the middle of the park to counter Eze and Zaha, but Marvellous is never good enough, and you could argue that wouldn't have improved it.

If next season we still have the same midfield, then i would agree with the DS detractors.

Our midfield was clearly exhausted which is why the game bypassed them and they couldn't put a foot in. Mcginn especially. Smith needed to make the change so we regained some control. 

44 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

🤣🤣

Another poster happy with mediocrity. We are allowed to question the management.

Since January we have been bang average...I’m not buying the notion that covid derailed us, we were poor before that.

Smith is slow to make changes, we have been consistently poor second half of games, suspect he will be let go next season.

Our PPG since January is relegation form. Purslow et al won’t tolerate this

Why wouldn't I be happy with prem mediocrity right now? Have you forgotten the last decade?

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

Only job I think he’d leave Villa for is the England job.

Agreed, but be wary, some will struggle with this and assume you mean you think he SHOULD be the England manager.

Just now, DCJonah said:

No, I think it's fair to criticise. It's the calls about him maybe needing to be replaced. 

Yeah but definitely no one wants him gone. Definitely not.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

It'll be relative to the spend. If you spend big and invest, you'll expect better returns. That's not exclusive to football. That's any industry or business.

Agreed, but we won't be the only team to do it. We can ignore the competition and just claim we should be better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beachboys1 said:

smith will be gone this time next season good run bad run  to much inconsistence

Outside of the Manchester sides this year, every team in the PL is inconsistent for patches of the season. The league’s far too competitive for a fm/fifa type season from every team (especially for a non big 6 team) 

not to say that Dean’s above criticism, like after the game today but no team in any league has the right to not be inconsistent.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Why wouldn't I be happy with prem mediocrity right now? Have you forgotten the last decade?

From almost being wound up by HMRC as an institution to Premier League security in under 3 years. 

Amazing what short-term memory some have. 

Again, nobody is saying you cannot criticise, as we all do, the hyperbole is just trite. 

• Like 1

Â