Dean Smith

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They have a German international, 2 Spanish internationals signed in the summer. 

We signed a Zimbabwe international and a Egyptian international and England 3rd choice goalkeeper 

Who signed them? 

48 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What are you on about? 

You said Leeds have a squad that makes them consistent. They lost 6-1 earlier in the season, they've had ups and downs just like us and are 1 pt ahead of us having played a game more. If they're consistent then how are we not?

2 wins in 10? 

We were getting battered by leicester 4-0 in our first season  we didnt even get in the top half.

Im no fan of leeds but take your claret and blue tints off, biesla has done better than smith has a premier league manager

Just now, Zatman said:

Suso 

Ah that old chestnut. Smith had no input and suso signed them all but then takes credit on the signings that were a success?

There is even quotes from smith saying he knew about engels and trez. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

2 wins in 10? 

We were getting battered by leicester 4-0 in our first season  we didnt even get in the top half.

Im no fan of leeds but take your claret and blue tints off, biesla has done better than smith has a premier league manager

Leeds were an excellent Championship team for two years before promotion under Bielsa. That isn't insignificant. Their foundations were clearly very solid. We were an excellent Championship team for about five months before promotion, and we then had to go on and rebuild the entire squad. These comparisons seem very black and white.

Bielsa was promoted after his second complete season with the club. Smith was promoted after five/six months or something. Bielsa didn't have to rebuild his team and squad—he had the opportunity to build on what he already had.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 4

Just now, Rolta said:

Leeds were an excellent Championship team for two years before promotion under Bielsa. That isn't insignificant. Their foundations were clearly very solid. We were an excellent Championship team for about five months before promotion, and we then had to go on and rebuild the entire 

But leeds regardless of having a settled squad had less pl experience than we did. We had mings grealish targett heaton

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

2 wins in 10? 

Haha what? You've just changed the argument completely. Which speaks volumes. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Haha what? You've just changed the argument completely. Which speaks volumes. 

No i havent. You just cant accept im making valid points as to why smith deserves criticism 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But leeds regardless of having a settled squad had less pl experience than we did. We had mings grealish targett heaton

There's always a 'but'. I appreciate that we had some experience in our CB, LB, GK (who was injured after a few months) and Jack, but so what? Does that count for more than having a settled team to build on for two years?

Do you know it might be possible that both Bielsa and Smith have both been doing good jobs at their respective clubs.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No i havent. You just cant accept im making valid points as to why smith deserves criticism 

Oh wow. OK let's slow things down. 

You complained that we aren't consistent enough and our squad should be. 

I asked you to look at the teams that have squads that allow them to be consistent and how many years they've been in the league and the constant investment they've had. Hinting at the top 4 or 5 teams. 

You replied with Leeds. 

It was then pointed out that Leeds have experienced highs and lows and are on 2 pts ahead with playing a game more. So how are they a model of consistency and we aren't 

You've then just jumped completely to how well Leeds are doing and how we weren't as good last season. 

Utter madness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You know when you come on to this site and just want to see what is happening so you click next unread topic and it keeps sending you to a thread over and over again? That's never good.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ah that old chestnut. Smith had no input and suso signed them all but then takes credit on the signings that were a success?

There is even quotes from smith saying he knew about engels and trez. 

It's the nonsense spewed by people who don't know what they're on about tbf. We've had a transfer 'team' for quite a while now but some just want to use transfers to push their narratives. 

I was delighted when we got Smith, but it was obviously impossible at that stage to have an opinion on how far he could take us. I must confess I am still unsure how far he can take us.

But I am certainly perturbed that he seems to be floundering at the moment, and appears to have no idea how to change things. He just persists with something that is clearly not working, and that looks rather inept from him.

He will be given time because of what he has achieved, so it is up to him to impress the owners in that time.

• Like 1

Dean Smith isn’t perfect, he makes mistakes like us all. But he’s open minded enough to want to learn from them, and I like that. Wherever we finish this season is progress over the last one, and Smith will be given another season to push on. Deservedly so in my opinion. 

This season was always going to be a difficult one, for all teams. Covid outbreaks, no fans, a condensed schedule etc... it would be madness to sack him in the midst of this, when we really need some stability. He’ll get more money to spend this summer and the target of improving us to challenge for Europe. This coming season is the one for where I’ll judge whether he’s the man to take us further. 

I don’t know what his ceiling is, and I’m annoyed with the way we’re playing now. But on the whole he’s been a big success for us so far. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I was delighted when we got Smith, but it was obviously impossible at that stage to have an opinion on how far he could take us. I must confess I am still unsure how far he can take us.

But I am certainly perturbed that he seems to be floundering at the moment, and appears to have no idea how to change things. He just persists with something that is clearly not working, and that looks rather inept from him.

He will be given time because of what he has achieved, so it is up to him to impress the owners in that time.

maybe he believes that persisting will further cement in the player's minds how they should be playing and that is why he isn't changing it. either way I agree that it isn't working right now, especially with Jack being injured. but if the plan is to buy players in the summer to fit the current system and us being safe, then maybe it makes sense to keep pushing the system instead of introducing changes? it's ok to have different philosophies on this though and I can't speak for DS and his team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

You see, I don't get this - I think there are perfectly valid reasons as to why we've struggled lately.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i do think whenever bielsa/leeds are dared to be mentioned it definitely hits a nerve. probably partly due to the media wankfest we've been subjected to, not to mention our resident leeds fan purring over them any chance he gets

but i'm gonna say it...bielsa has done a better job in his first season as a PL manager than smith did. and it's OK to say that...he's got 11 more years of management experience on smith with the majority of his management career being at either international or top european league level. so it's expected that he would do a better job...i don't know why there needs to be any comparison between the two.

a better comparison would be with say, scott parker who is also inexperienced at this level with a newly promoted side. deano kept his side up, parker (probably) didn't

so you're saying Parker wont do a villa

Sunglasses Deal With It GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â