Dean Smith

Demitri_C

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Reads like if we'd beaten Sheffield utd and Burnley and baggies but then lost both games to arsenal, Liverpool, Leicester etc everything would be alright in the world 

We are a typical inconsistent mid table team with weird results 

If we'd achieved some sort of balance this year - beaten the teams we "should" be beating, lost to the teams that we "should" be losing to and done it in a fashion where we won a game every 3 weeks rather than winning them all at the start and we had the exact same points in the exact same position as we are right now then no one would care and would call it a good season 

My only worry though is for next season will we beat Liverpool ? Maybe but history tells us we don’t very often. Will we beat Leicester away? Maybe but not very often do we do that. Will we beat arsenal bad as they are twice ? Possible but highly unlikely so on that basis the likes of WBA Sheffield united, Newcastle, Burnley, Leeds , Brighton have to be beaten otherwise the start of the season looks like what it probably was which is an anomaly and we will be back fighting relegation again.

I think the is a huge amount of work to do over the summer player wise. I think early season results made us look further along the journey than we are but I feel our fall off since Christmas is more realistically our true level currently. I think we need a new midfield completely and a winger. That’s a big ask over one summer and given we have just bought Samson I’m not sure we will spend much more on midfielders which I think would be a huge mistake.

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't know their exact reasons why, but if I was to hazard a guess then maybe they wanted to bring in their own man? Maybe they thought Bruce was shit? Perhaps they wanted someone who was a Villa fan?

It's a question they would be able to answer better than I can in all fairness. 

But no matter what the reason was, our current manager has been backed to the hills financially - as would have any manager that had been given the job.

I'm not taking away credit from the owners. Like I said, I'm over the moon with the combination we have and the journey we're on. 

I don't think that any manager would have got us promoted that first season from the point Bruce left us. I think Dean deserves massive credit for that. If he hadn't got us up first time, whilst I'm sure we'd be up by now, this club would look very different. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Very well said!

If you had to ask me to give up the memory of beating Liverpool 7-2, a game no one expected us to win so we could have 3pts off say Burnley to placate the myth that there are teams we should beat. I would be inconsolable.

We are a mid table team.... We'll surprise with the results that we love and hate. That's football in a nutshell.

I think it's been so long since we've been a midtable prem team, that either younger fans haven't experienced or some have forgotten what it's like. 

This is it. Ups and downs, surprises and disappointments. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

My only worry though is for next season will we beat Liverpool ? Maybe but history tells us we don’t very often. Will we beat Leicester away? Maybe but not very often do we do that. Will we beat arsenal bad as they are twice ? Possible but highly unlikely so on that basis the likes of WBA Sheffield united, Newcastle, Burnley, Leeds , Brighton have to be beaten otherwise the start of the season looks like what it probably was which is an anomaly and we will be back fighting relegation again.

I think the is a huge amount of work to do over the summer player wise. I think early season results made us look further along the journey than we are but I feel our fall off since Christmas is more realistically our true level currently. I think we need a new midfield completely and a winger. That’s a big ask over one summer and given we have just bought Samson I’m not sure we will spend much more on midfielders which I think would be a huge mistake.

completely agree with the second bit

the first, honestly i dont know, i think it'll be another mixed bag, this time we'll have the fans back so who knows what will happen, i will continue my belief that you'd be a mad man to bet on villa games, i think that if you take the mini league that we're currently sat in with wolves, leeds, arsenal, then add maybe everton and west ham dropping back it'll be the same faces doing the same thing next season, our squad will get better but we'll be in and around the same teams

and im ok with that, we'll spend £100m+ hopefully on some great players...but so will everyone else...

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's been so long since we've been a midtable prem team, that either younger fans haven't experienced or some have forgotten what it's like. 

This is it. Ups and downs, surprises and disappointments. 

on one hand its good because the PL is plagued with nothing teams that are just happy to be there

on the other we need time and patience that too many fans haven't got, i think theres too much looking just at us, we've spent £200m our owners are rich we've got grealish so we have to be being doing this in order to be considered doing ok...have a look at the other teams too, they've spent money, they have rich owners, they've got good players...we cant all do it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ejvilla said:

Best manager since MON, and if you think Smith is one-dimensional, you don't remember MON's glory years.

Incredible results year on year. Poor form of late, but 25% of the season without our best player....

Great post. It's actually more than 25% mind. It's 9 matches so far. So assuming he's out for the reminder of the season it's 40%. But not the most important.

Great post.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's not really a case of defending it. You've picked a few poor results. On the flipside you can point to a few brilliant results, but of course you wouldn't do that. 

As so many keep trying to explain, it's what midtable teams tend to do. Great results, poor results and then pretty standard what you'd expect results. 

Not really these are the more recent results.

The 7-2 was so long ago. Epic win yes but thats gone. Its our recent form and all those games were this year.

Ita not good enough simple as that.

We are midtable but you cant seeiously be telling me a midtable team loses 1-0 to the worst team in the league that had 10 men?

You cant keep defending him bwcause he is dean smith. He is untitled to be criticised when he isnt performing like i feel he has since grealish got injured. 

I dont want to say sack him yet as i dont think he deserves it but i do have reservations how far he can take us. 

I think alot of his signings are questionable too. Engels hause traore samatta trez and the loans of barkley drinkwater.

I do note its not all been bad martinez konsa targett and ollie have been big successes.

Jury is still out for me with sanson and cash. Cash is aupgrade on what we had but he makes such rash and stupid decisions at times.  Hopefully he will learn from them and become much better next year 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Reads like if we'd beaten Sheffield utd and Burnley and baggies but then lost both games to arsenal, Liverpool, Leicester etc everything would be alright in the world 

We are a typical inconsistent mid table team with weird results 

If we'd achieved some sort of balance this year - beaten the teams we "should" be beating, lost to the teams that we "should" be losing to and done it in a fashion where we won a game every 3 weeks rather than winning them all at the start and we had the exact same points in the exact same position as we are right now then no one would care and would call it a good season 

But there has been no consistency without jack. Thats the issue.

We don't have players that are consistently performing so hard to expect consistant results. Under Dean we seem to have longer periods of various forms but ultimately we've been on an upwards trajectory over time. As long as that continues I have no reason not to support him. Could we be doing better? Potentially. Is it worth rolling that die all considered? Probably not unless someone like Pep says "sup mate I'm in".

To all the concerned, I see your points too and we're not the finished article at all. Is it a reason for panic? Wouldn't say so myself but we all see it differently. To those who want him gone, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Change for the sake of change isn't what we should be doing as a club anymore. Disrupts too much and our team, albeit underperforming, seems to gel great and there's evidence of togetherness. Even if we aren't seeing ideal results this team spirit is just as important imo.

Form doesn't lasts forever either direction. My two cents. UTV!

Edited by osmark86

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The 7-2 was so long ago. Epic win yes but thats gone. Its our recent form and all those games were this year.

We are midtable but you cant seeiously be telling me a midtable team loses 1-0 to the worst team in the league that had 10 men?

You cant keep defending him bwcause he is dean smith. He is untitled to be criticised when he isnt performing like i feel he has since grealish got injured. 

I dont want to say sack him yet as i dont think he deserves it but i do have reservations how far he can take us. 

I think alot of his signings are questionable too. Engels hause traore samatta trez and the loans of barkley drinkwater.

I do note its not all been bad martinez konsa targett and ollie have been big successes.

Jury is still out for me with sanson and cash. Cash is aupgrade on what we had but he makes such rash and stupid decisions at times.  Hopefully he will learn from them and become much better next year 

Man Utd did as well albeit not against 10 men.

Point being, no guarantees in football.

Edited by osmark86
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I just can't get my head around that. That 7-2 is our best result in Premier league history, arguably the best result in the entire Premier league season this year. I'll be watching highlights of that game for years to come and you are so eager to want to criticise the manager that you'd rather just act like it didn't happen this year or just dismiss it to one side. 

And I know we're going round in circles and you'll never change your mind, as I won't either. But how can the jury still be out. I doubt there is a single person in football outside our fans who could possibly hold that view. No other team in English football has progressed as quickly as we have. 

And as of writing this, the man has only had 1 full season with the club. Only 1 proper pre season with his squad. He's done everything asked of him and more. So how can the jury still be out on him? 

Promoted first time, done. Stay up, done. Move up the league, done. 

Oh and just a cup final to throw in the mix as well. 

I just don't get it. If what Smith has done here isn't good enough for you, then I'll be amazed if we get a manager that you'll believe in. 

• Like 3

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yes i do. Smith built this team so if the squad isnt good enough then smith is to blame. 

Well then Lange et al are to blame equally. I don't see all our players being good enough to be consistent but agree to disagree then.

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just can't get my head around that. That 7-2 is our best result in Premier league history, arguably the best result in the entire Premier league season this year. I'll be watching highlights of that game for years to come and you are so eager to want to criticise the manager that you'd rather just act like it didn't happen this year or just dismiss it to one side. 

And I know we're going round in circles and you'll never change your mind, as I won't either. But how can the jury still be out. I doubt there is a single person in football outside our fans who could possibly hold that view. No other team in English football has progressed as quickly as we have. 

And as of writing this, the man has only had 1 full season with the club. Only 1 proper pre season with his squad. He's done everything asked of him and more. So how can the jury still be out on him? 

Promoted first time, done. Stay up, done. Move up the league, done. 

Oh and just a cup final to throw in the mix as well. 

I just don't get it. If what Smith has done here isn't good enough for you, then I'll be amazed if we get a manager that you'll believe in. 

The same you cant get your head around the same why i cabt get my ahead around where people cabt accept any form of criticism directed towards dean smith!

Just now, osmark86 said:

Well then Lange et al are to blame equally. I don't see all our players being good enough to be consistent but agree to disagree then.

I agree but with smith was here for both seasons. You could argue this summers business was better than last seasons so why isnt the squad good enough to be consistent?

It ceetainly ha senough talent there to beating a couple of these sides

Â