Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

2 wins in 10? 

It's not 2 wins in 10, it's 13 wins in 32.  If those early wins were spread out through the campaign, up until now, the majority of people would probably agree that Smith is doing what we all expected of him. We're a mid-table team, who are performing, averagely.  Even now over the past 6 games,  we've accumulated only 1 point less than West Ham (33 games played), Wolves (33 games) and Everton (32 games), all decent teams. If we gain a point or 3, from our game in hand, our form will be that of a team in midtable, without their arguably the best player in league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i do think whenever bielsa/leeds are dared to be mentioned it definitely hits a nerve. probably partly due to the media wankfest we've been subjected to, not to mention our resident leeds fan purring over them any chance he gets

but i'm gonna say it...bielsa has done a better job in his first season as a PL manager than smith did. and it's OK to say that...he's got 11 more years of management experience on smith with the majority of his management career being at either international or top european league level. so it's expected that he would do a better job...i don't know why there needs to be any comparison between the two.

a better comparison would be with say, scott parker who is also inexperienced at this level with a newly promoted side. deano kept his side up, parker (probably) didn't

Leeds also have played with a relatively settled squad in their first season, whereas our squad was ripped apart and patched back together. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This thread is a complete shitshow. The grass aint always greener. We're progressing as a football club at a rapid rate with a huge opportunity coming up in the summer to make even more ground on this league. Chill out, enjoy it and remember just a few years ago we were midtable in the Championship. 

I was going to write the same but ended up getting sucked in haha. 

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i do think whenever bielsa/leeds are dared to be mentioned it definitely hits a nerve. probably partly due to the media wankfest we've been subjected to, not to mention our resident leeds fan purring over them any chance he gets

but i'm gonna say it...bielsa has done a better job in his first season as a PL manager than smith did. and it's OK to say that...he's got 11 more years of management experience on smith with the majority of his management career being at either international or top european league level. so it's expected that he would do a better job...i don't know why there needs to be any comparison between the two.

a better comparison would be with say, scott parker who is also inexperienced at this level with a newly promoted side. deano kept his side up, parker (probably) won't

Dean Smith was 19 when Bielsa got his1st managerial job

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Oh wow. OK let's slow things down. 

You complained that we aren't consistent enough and our squad should be. 

I asked you to look at the teams that have squads that allow them to be consistent and how many years they've been in the league and the constant investment they've had. Hinting at the top 4 or 5 teams. 

You replied with Leeds. 

It was then pointed out that Leeds have experienced highs and lows and are on 2 pts ahead with playing a game more. So how are they a model of consistency and we aren't 

You've then just jumped completely to how well Leeds are doing and how we weren't as good last season. 

Utter madness.

It aint madness you asked a question i answered it then you gave some further excuses to protect smith but because leeds who had a stteled team with inteenationals its acceptable. More spin from you.

You give leeds absolutely zero credit but then try to tell me smith cabt be criticised 

Madness

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

a better comparison would be with say, scott parker who is also inexperienced at this level with a newly promoted side. deano kept his side up, parker (probably) won't

I agree. You think i get joy out of saying this? I dislike dirty leeds greatly. But i highly respect them. 1st season in and they above us. This never should have been the case as we were miles ahead of them at one point.

Yet people are giving excuses to why leeds are doing well and then give more excuses why we are not. 

They signed this player, we signed a Egyptian.  So what smith was involved in those transfers as well so im not buying that. 

Smith was doing what parker was until we got the covid lockdown. Make no mistake about it, if we didnt get the break and that lucky decison against sheff utd we would have gone down.

Smith was doing terribly in January last year.

I give him credit for turning it around that was great. And the start we made. But it really has gone to shit for a majority of 2021

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It aint madness you asked a question i answered it then you gave some further excuses to protect smith but because leeds who had a stteled team with inteenationals its acceptable. More spin from you.

You give leeds absolutely zero credit but then try to tell me smith cabt be criticised 

Madness

OK. It wasn't me who said about internationals being signed. Keep up. 

How have you possibly linked giving credit to Leeds and criticism to Dean smith together?

And you still haven't answered why Leeds are considered consistently good but we aren't. I've no idea why you keep banging on about Leeds last season. I didn't mention anything about it. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. You think i get joy out of saying this? I dislike dirty leeds greatly. But i highly respect them. 1st season in and they above us. This never should have been the case as we were miles ahead of them at one point.

Yet people are giving excuses to why leeds are doing well and then give more excuses why we are not. 

They signed this player, we signed a Egyptian.  So what smith was involved in those transfers as well so im not buying that. 

Smith was doing what parker was until we got the covid lockdown. Make no mistake about it, if we didnt get the break and that lucky decison against sheff utd we would have gone down.

Smith was doing terribly in January last year.

I give him credit for turning it around that was great. And the start we made. But it really has gone to shit for a majority of 2021

Credit for turning it round but you say a lucky decision against sheff u kept us up. How does that work then?

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

OK. It wasn't me who said about internationals being signed. Keep up. 

How have you possibly linked giving credit to Leeds and criticism to Dean smith together?

And you still haven't answered why Leeds are considered consistently good but we aren't. I've no idea why you keep banging on about Leeds last season. I didn't mention anything about it. 

You asked a club and I answered your question now your asking me why i am linking leeds and smith together 😂

Leeds 1st season up and lets brwak it down for you.

Last 6

Draw with united

Beat city (and had ten men)

Drew with liverpool

Beat sheff utd

Beat fulham

Drew with chelsea

And your trying to tell me smiths doing well and leeds are not. Laughable

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Credit for turning it round but you say a lucky decision against sheff u kept us up. How does that work then?

Was it not lucky against sheff utd?? I dont understand how that needs explaining as any person in the universe knows we got lucky there

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You asked a club and I answered your question now your asking me why i am linking leeds and smith together 😂

Leeds 1st season up and lets brwak it down for you.

Last 6

Draw with united

Beat city (and had ten men)

Drew with liverpool

Beat sheff utd

Beat fulham

Drew with chelsea

And your trying to tell me smiths doing well and leeds are not. Laughable

Where have I said Leeds are not doing  well? You're laughing about something you've just made up. Are you ok?

I keep forgetting you only pick a specific section of games. You said Leeds have a squad than enable them to be consistent. We win our game in hand and we're ahead of them. 

Yet one team is consistent and worthy of praise and the team you actually support is worthy of criticism and on the verge of wanting the manager sacked. 

Seems balanced. 

Edited by DCJonah

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Was it not lucky against sheff utd?? I dont understand how that needs explaining as any person in the universe knows we got lucky there

It was. But I've only ever seen rival fans use it as a way to mock us by claiming its the reason we stayed up. Surprised you're resorting to it. 

I fail to see how you believe we got lucky and stayed up but at the same time claim to give Smith full credit. 

Leeds are currently 4th in the form table at the same time we're in a rut. If you would have looked at the form table earlier in the season it was more the other way around. So they're kind of the mirror image of us atm. but over the whole season we've been pretty much on par and equally consistant (or inconsistant if you like).

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

mate. only trolls on social media bring that up. you're lowering yourself there. i could make a long list of reasons as to why that was not the reason we stayed up, but i don't think i should have to on here.

• Like 3

We've been averaging a point a game for the last 16 or 17 games. That's not comfortably midtable form at all, that's finishing 17th having had a relegation battle form. Looking at our remaining fixtures, I would put very good money on the fact that we'll get fewer than 6 points from our final 6 games, which would mean more than a half a season in relegation form.

1 minute ago, Risso said:

We've been averaging a point a game for the last 16 or 17 games. That's not comfortably midtable form at all, that's finishing 17th having had a relegation battle form. Looking at our remaining fixtures, I would put very good money on the fact that we'll get fewer than 6 points from our final 6 games, which would mean more than a half a season in relegation form.

which isn't great agreed. it's kinda shit.

how should we punish him? 

I'll get my belt :trollface:

• Haha 1

Lol, didn't Purslow himself, say that we were " a year ahead of schedule, " when we got promoted?

Then again, Football insider is a beacon of truth.

Aston Villa: When Smith was almost sacked | The Transfer Tavern (footballtransfertavern.com)

SMITH NEARLY GOT THE SACK IN 2019

Football Insider have recently reported about Smith, saying that the club would’ve sacked the Englishman if they had lost to Derby County in a Championship game back in March 2019. The defeat would’ve left them further behind in the race for promotion and chief executive Christian Purslow was reportedly ready to let go of Smith just five months into his tenure.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lol, didn't Purslow himself, say that we were " a year ahead of schedule, " when we got promoted?

Then again, Football insider is a beacon of truth.

Aston Villa: When Smith was almost sacked | The Transfer Tavern (footballtransfertavern.com)

He's been up against it twice really.

By the time that derby game came, we were reaching the point we were going to have to do something mad like win 10 in a row.

Plus last season before the covid break. We were absolutely going down without it. Lots of stories around he was going if we lost the next game against Chelsea I think it was.

If we hadn't had such an incredible start to the season, I think this would be the third time. I'd be shitting myself if we were just above the relegation zone.

I do think if we lose every game and don't play well in any of them something might happen. It would be a surprise if Purslow wasn't alarmed by form being quite this bad. Unless of course, there's issues he's aware of behind the scenes.

• Like 1

Â