Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Personally, I don't see a clamber for players like Matteus Periera, to do this, (albeit I expect to be in the minority on here,) despite his eye catching moments in a game

I’m sure you remember the David Geddes FA Cup final performance when for 90 minutes he was world class. A performance he never repeated in a Villa shirt. However his hat trick against the Blues earned him a huge amount of credit in the bank to offset any criticism he received. 

Beware of the one off games!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I will be bitterly disappointed, if he is made to go, which I don't think he will.

But I do expect a behind the scenes, open debate from all concerned in to how to improve the consistency of the team.

Personally, I don't see a clamber for players like Matteus Periera, to do this, (albeit I expect to be in the minority on here,) despite his eye catching moments in a game.

The last thing we need is players that drift in and out of games. Pereira certainly looks the sort that can be brilliant one minute and terrible the next.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

The last thing we need is players that drift in and out of games. Pereira certainly looks the sort that can be brilliant one minute and terrible the next.

Sounds a perfect fit for Villa lol

I'm sure Pereira is a decent player but we made Joelinton look good too!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

My limited knowledge on him, suggests that.

Edited by TRO

Just read a quote from Dean I hadn't seen before. 

"I always said, the first year in the Premier League is a tough year. The second year, you can have a real strong starting XI. But in the third year you are looking to grow your squad depth, and improve on that starting XI."

Hopefully this might put some of those concerns to ease about subs and changing things. Especially with purslow also saying it would take 3 years of being a premier league team to have a strong squad. 

I have no doubt, the stronger squad depth the more we will see Dean adapt and change more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Thanks.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.....Dean has some undoubted redeeming features.....and a really likable fella....The villa fan is an optional extra, for me.

But we are in a slump and that is the centre of the debate.....If we was talking during the first 10 games, we would be waxing lyrical about all his redeeming features of management...but we are not.

We are all discerning Villa Fans, we should be able to debate, what we think is wrong with us, without defaulting to the manager being replaced.

He is paid to manage and that means good times and bad times.

Fo sho mate

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hopefully this might put some of those concerns to ease about subs and changing things. Especially with purslow also saying it would take 3 years of being a premier league team to have a strong squad. 

I have no doubt, the stronger squad depth the more we will see Dean adapt and change more. 

Agreed. Success rarely happens over night. Lets just enjoy the rest of the games after a pretty good second season in the top flight and hold higher hopes for next year.

Isn't it bloody nice with a "boring" mid table season for once just to breathe? XD

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think its the bit we are all hoping for.

I also think Dean needs more variety in his players in order to change things, its no good changing players for just a form upgrade, he needs to be able to change tactics as well.

Everyone will have their own idea, of what Strengthening is, I just hope we emulate the success of last season, in buying right.

28 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Agreed. Success rarely happens over night. Lets just enjoy the rest of the games after a pretty good second season in the top flight and hold higher hopes for next year.

Isn't it bloody nice with a "boring" mid table season for once just to breathe? XD

I'm not breathing too good after winning 5 in 18. Maybe cause I still want to win games and don't declare our current position as season over.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not breathing too good after winning 5 in 18. Maybe cause I still want to win games and don't declare our current position as season over.

Lay down with your back on the floor and count to 5 with each breath

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its the bit we are all hoping for.

I also think Dean needs more variety in his players in order to change things, its no good changing players for just a form upgrade, he needs to be able to change tactics as well.

Everyone will have their own idea, of what Strengthening is, I just hope we emulate the success of last season, in buying right.

What Smith needs to do is to work like Bielsa and get a lot out of very little. It's a trait of great coaches.

It's unlikely that we'll attract players anywhere near Jack's level, so unless we are able to find hidden gems it's highly realistic we'd be getting someone close to McGinn's level. Players who are similar in quality to what we already have.

Fergie somehow managed to make players like Brown, O'Shea and Cleverley look like top quality players. Bielsa is doing the same with the likes of Harrison, Ayling, Dallas. 

Yeah we could improve on our bench that's fine and good but we'll still be very much reliant on Grealish also next season in my view unless Dean really advances as a coach.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What Smith needs to do is to work like Bielsa and get a lot out of very little. It's a trait of great coaches.

It's unlikely that we'll attract players anywhere near Jack's level, so unless we are able to find hidden gems it's highly realistic we'd be getting someone close to McGinn's level. Players who are similar in quality to what we already have.

Fergie somehow managed to make players like Brown, O'Shea and Cleverley look like top quality players. Bielsa is doing the same with the likes of Harrison, Ayling, Dallas. 

Yeah we could improve on our bench that's fine and good but we'll still be very much reliant on Grealish also next season in my view unless Dean really advances as a coach.

I think we have to be careful here.....unless we are privvy to the workings of the training ground, we are just speculating.

Players have come on under Dean...Jack, Ezri, Emi, Tyrone, both Matts and the academy is still under his stewardship.

I don't think it will be lost on new recruits that John Terry, is still on the coaching staff and he wouldn't be working in an environment unless he was learning, surely that has to be an endorsement to Dean....Craig Shakespeare, was with Leicester during a successful spell, he wouldn't be with a dim wit.

I dare say, Dean is still learning, and probably learnt more through this slump.

I think constructive criticism/ Observation is fair, but we have to be careful not to jump on that bandwagon and accuse him of things thats just not accurate....unless we know of course.

I would not be happy with myself, if I speculated on a managers performance and it was inaccurate, that would be unfair....I think we have to admit, we just don't know enough of what goes on at BMH, so speculation can be dangerous, I have to remind myself of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think we have to be careful here.....unless we are privvy to the workings of the training ground, we are just speculating.

Players have come on under Dean...Jack, Ezri, Emi, Tyrone, both Matts and the academy is still under his stewardship.

I don't think it will be lost on new recruits that John Terry, is still on the coaching staff and he wouldn't be working in an environment unless he was learning, surely that has to be an endorsement to Dean....Craig Shakespeare, was with Leicester during a successful spell, he wouldn't be with a dim wit.

I dare say, Dean is still learning, and probably learnt more through this slump.

I think constructive criticism/ Observation is fair, but we have to be careful not to jump on that bandwagon and accuse him of things thats just not accurate....unless we know of course.

I would not be happy with myself, if I speculated on a managers performance and it was inaccurate, that would be unfair....I think we have to admit, we just don't know enough of what goes on at BMH, so speculation can be dangerous, I have to remind myself of that.

Proof is in the pudding.

We are showing relegation form without Jack and Emi is being overworked.

In my view Dean isn't getting enough out of his players. 

People won't like to hear it but we are a bottom 5 team without Grealish. You cannot hide behind it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Proof is in the pudding.

People won't like to hear it but we are a bottom 5 team without Grealish. You cannot hide behind it.

Our form is pants, but we can't jump to conclusions to spank the Manager....but we can debate things and share views. of suspicion....but thats all they are.

The problem is we can put 2 & 2 together and come up with 5.

They might be doing everything humanly possible to address this slump, we simply don't know.

We can talk about the frustration of the bad run, but we can't accuse him of not trying to address it, if we don't know.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Our form is pants, but we can't jump to conclusions to spank the Manager....but we can debate things and share views. of suspicion....buts all they are.

The problem is we can put 2 & 2 together and come up with 5.

They might be doing everything humanly possible to address this slump, we simply don't know.

We can talk about the frustration of the bad run, but we can't accuse him of not trying to address it, if we don't know.

I'm not spanking the manager.

I'm saying he need to improve and find ways to play without Grealish. 

This isn't just this season. In Championship we only won 2 in 13 or whatever it was when Jack was out.

I understand he is a great player and we're weaker without him but i don't think anyone thought we'd be showing relegation form without him. That's really poor and not good enough.

Edited by villalad21

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

In absolute full troll mode this evening.

Wants Dean to turn water into wine but can't even be bothered to write a half decent troll post. 

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Proof is in the pudding.

Peaka boo

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

In absolute full troll mode this evening.

Frustration has many ways of manifesting itself.

We are all different personalities, trying to get to the bottom of our teams woes....He is no troll, just has an opinion.

I think he may have at least one point in amongst all that, That it is unlikely Dean works the players like Biesla, reasonable suspicion IMV

Problem is, unless we are privvy to the training methods of both managers, we simply don't know, just suspect.

• Like 2

Â