Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i do think whenever bielsa/leeds are dared to be mentioned it definitely hits a nerve. probably partly due to the media wankfest we've been subjected to, not to mention our resident leeds fan purring over them any chance he gets

but i'm gonna say it...bielsa has done a better job in his first season as a PL manager than smith did. and it's OK to say that...he's got 11 more years of management experience on smith with the majority of his management career being at either international or top european league level. so it's expected that he would do a better job...i don't know why there needs to be any comparison between the two.

a better comparison would be with say, scott parker who is also inexperienced at this level with a newly promoted side. deano kept his side up, parker (probably) won't

Does that not imply that a more experienced manager than Dean Smith would do better with Villa?

Sorry, I'm just trying to read between the lines, if so.. do those calling for Smith's head feel justified? I'm just throwing it out there lol

6 minutes ago, supermon said:

Does that not imply that a more experienced manager than Dean Smith would do better with Villa?

Sorry, I'm just trying to read between the lines, if so.. do those calling for Smith's head feel justified? I'm just throwing it out there lol

A more experienced manager than Smith could also be Roy Hodgeson. Or Big Sam. Or Candleface...

Just tossing it out there. Like bait. mhmmm.

Edited by osmark86

6 minutes ago, supermon said:

potentially, of course. but teams don't tend to just 'upgrade' managers whilst the existing one is still meeting his targets.

i'm not sure many are actually calling for him to be sacked anyway. people jump to deanos defence when he's getting criticism and that escalates to people thinking that people are calling for him to be sacked. which i'm not sure is happening.

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

A more experienced manager than Smith could also be Roy Hodgeson. Or Big Sam. Or Candleface...

That's fine but the original post said Bielsa "that...he's got 11 more years of management experience on smith with the majority of his management career being at either international or top european league level"

can't compare that to the Roy hodgsons of the world...anyway just playing Devils Advocate

Just now, supermon said:

That's fine but the original post said Bielsa "that...he's got 11 more years of management experience on smith with the majority of his management career being at either international or top european league level"

can't compare that to the Roy hodgsons of the world...anyway just playing Devils Advocate

oh same here mate 😄. for what it's worth I stand more in line with what @tomav84 just wrote up there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

potentially, of course. but teams don't tend to just 'upgrade' managers whilst the existing one is still meeting his targets.

i'm not sure many are actually calling for him to be sacked anyway. people jump to deanos defence when he's getting criticism and that escalates to people thinking that people are calling for him to be sacked. which i'm not sure is happening.

I agree, not wanting Dean sacked either, yet I can't help but wonder where the next manager, whoever they are, whenever it is, can take us. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's incredible. You try and strike debate or dare even say one word wrong about Smith and you just get ousted.

The thread has became insane with a percentage of posters displaying tunnel vision.

I think there’s blame on both sides of the debate. Some are appalled when Dean Smith is criticised, others can’t speak his name without finding the slightest thing to complain about. 

The truth is somewhere in the middle. He’s done well overall, sometimes great and sometimes poor.

It must also be realised that the head coach is no longer as all encompassing as the old managers used to be. Their role in recruitment is considerable diminished and the coaching is shared by an army of various coaches with input  from everything from data analysis to psychologists with many different variations within each group. 

It’s hard to know where the buck stops these days. Probably NSWE but nobody is going to sack them anytime soon.

Ultimately they will make decisions on who runs to first team. I would say that Smith has done well and nothing that merits being sacked. However the decision for the short and medium term future is, can he take us to where the club plans to be or is someone available who may do the job better? I don’t know but I’m pretty sure that question won’t be being ignored at board level. Thankfully it won’t be decided at VT level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

a better comparison would be with say, scott parker who is also inexperienced at this level with a newly promoted side. deano kept his side up, parker (probably) won't

This is a really flawed argument because of how little Fulham spent compared to us.

Also Scott Parker doesn't have Jack Grealish at his disposal.

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It was. But I've only ever seen rival fans use it as a way to mock us by claiming its the reason we stayed up. Surprised you're resorting to it. 

I fail to see how you believe we got lucky and stayed up but at the same time claim to give Smith full credit. 

So you cant give smith credit to smith for the form that came us and say we were lucky at the same timw thanks to the sheff utd goal not being allowed? Says who?

We were lucky and we would have gone down had we lost that

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

mate. only trolls on social media bring that up. you're lowering yourself there. i could make a long list of reasons as to why that was not the reason we stayed up, but i don't think i should have to on here.

Huh? I dont get this.  How is that trolling saying we were lucky that goal didnt get allowed?

Was it not lucky?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

So you cant give smith credit to smith for the form that came us and say we were lucky at the same timw thanks to the sheff utd goal not being allowed? Says who?

I personally think it balanced out the point we should have got against Palace. That was one of the worst refereeing decision I’ve ever seen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think it balanced out the point we should have got against Palace. That was one of the worst refereeing decision I’ve ever seen.

Agree with that. Absymal decision.

But there is a big difference in my view from a pathetic referring decision from a pathetic ref to goal line technology failing.

We got out of jail there thankfully 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

The odd poster has wanted him sacked from day 1. At least he’s consistent. 

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Criticism where and when it’s warranted is fine and there’s been plenty of reasons of late that warrant it.

But in my opinion it’s got to be better criticism than “Look what Bielsa/Wilder/Hasenhüttl/A.N. Other Manager is doing.” It’s meaningless when people keep jumping from manager to manager to make their point because the first manager they tried to put Smith down with is now struggling and no longer fits the narrative. It weakens the argument. 

And this ****ing obsession with Leeds. It is not Dean Smith’s fault that some of you have decided that the be all and end all is finishing ahead of Leeds. Yes, they’re doing well and yes it’s their first season. Kudos to them. Sincerely. 

It’s also Sheffield United’s second season in the top flight, Wolves’ third, Newcastle’s fourth, Southampton’s ninth and about Arsenal’s hundred and second season back in the top flight. I guess they should all be light years of both Villa and Leeds too by that rational. 

Anyone who feels like they can’t post something without people replying and critiquing your post - you don’t have to reply to mean person if they disagree with you, you can turn the other cheek and ignore it. It’s quite easy really. And frankly if you don’t want your opinion being challenged, maybe it’s worth considering whether you should post it for everyone to see in the first place.

Last season it was look at Wilder and Nuno.  Why can’t Smith be more like them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Agree with that. Absymal decision.

But there is a big difference in my view from a pathetic referring decision from a pathetic ref to goal line technology failing.

We got out of jail there thankfully 

But how do you know we would have got the same amount of points afterwards? Maybe after losing that we went and won at Newcastle? Or after conceding we went and scored an equaliser or even won the game?

I get we were lucky. But it’s wrong to say that one incident over a whole season kept us up!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But how do you know we would have got the same amount of points afterwards? Maybe after losing that we went and won at Newcastle? Or after conceding we went and scored an equaliser or even won the game?

I get we were lucky. But it’s wrong to say that one incident over a whole season kept us up!

honestly this. too many hypotheticals to draw anything definitive from it.

that being said, yes we did get lucky tech failed. just as we were unlucky human brain failed against crystal palace (that decision is so bloody baffling you would get conspirical for way less XD).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i can't believe i have to have this debate with one of our own fans...it was in the first half of our 28th match. seasons are not completed after 28.5 games. as i said, it's only trolls of other teams that bring hawkeye up and frankly they don't deserve the time of day. i've never heard it from our own before and i'm amazed that it's come from someone on here as a stick to beat smith with.

i wish to god that that goal had stood because i'm sick of hearing about it. i am 100% convinced we'd have stayed up still if it had. sheff utd were there for the taking that day and i'm convinced we'd have got the equaliser in the 2nd half.

yes it was lucky...but to say it was the reason we stayed up is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bournemouth were lucky during project restart too. they should have lost vs spurs:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-news-penalty-bournemouth-three-wrong-var-calls-confirmed-a4494741.html

Premier League Match Centre admits Spurs should have been awarded spot-kick after a push on Harry Kane

Â