Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Can't we just all agree that people calling for Smith out are idiots(and yes, they do exist) and also that there can be valid criticisms of Dean Smith and his management?

The reason some of us are annoyed with this thread is that it feels like you really can't criticize the guy at all before someone from the Dean Smith fan club calls us entitled for expecting better and shutting down any criticism. Then they proceed to categorize us as people who want Smith out when the majority of us do not want that all. 

As for you @DCJonah, I don't think there was ever a scenario that could reasonably happen this season that would make you turn against Smith. Last season, you blamed every failing of the team on seemingly everyone but the manager and insisted on Smith the entire way. When everyone and their mother thought we were relegated last season, you changed your tune from "Smith is the best chance to keep us up" to "Smith is the best chance to get us up from the Championship again". They're not necessarily wrong opinions by themselves, but it does make me ask how unbiased you are regarding Dean Smith. Because it seems like it really didn't matter what happened last season, you were solidly behind Dean Smith no matter what and were willing to use whatever arguments to justify supporting him. You claim this season that he has done very well for us and I don't disagree, but I get the feeling you would be just as fervent a Smith supporter had we finished in top 4 this season or if we finished dead last. Just my 2 cents.

To some extent, you have to believe the on field results should matter in some respect no? If you're always going to be blindly supporting him, what''s the point of arguing?

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Smith has likely managed himself into a position where he'll have a large transfer budget that could really balloon if we sell Grealish. If Villa go through a prolonged stretch of poor form and bad losses next season, he might find his job under threat. But until then, we should back the manager to get it right because he's spent the last three years getting things right most of the time. I love the fact that he's a Villan. Go Dean!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Didnt say no one wants him gone and I didn't mention the match thread though.

Oh ok, I thought you were intimating that no one wanted him out. 

I mentioned the match thread as that’s seemingly where posters like to suggest a management change is in order. Now that thread is somewhat more reactionary admittedly. But the sheer vociferous tone in a number of those posts, to me, suggests that some are keen to see a replacement.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Can't we just all agree that people calling for Smith out are idiots(and yes, they do exist) and also that there can be valid criticisms of Dean Smith and his management?

The reason some of us are annoyed with this thread is that it feels like you really can't criticize the guy at all before someone from the Dean Smith fan club calls us entitled for expecting better and shutting down any criticism. Then they proceed to categorize us as people who want Smith out when the majority of us do not want that all. 

As for you @DCJonah, I don't think there was ever a scenario that could reasonably happen this season that would make you turn against Smith. Last season, you blamed every failing of the team on seemingly everyone but the manager and insisted on Smith the entire way. When everyone and their mother thought we were relegated last season, you changed your tune from "Smith is the best chance to keep us up" to "Smith is the best chance to get us up from the Championship again". They're not necessarily wrong opinions by themselves, but it does make me ask how unbiased you are regarding Dean Smith. Because it seems like it really didn't matter what happened last season, you were solidly behind Dean Smith no matter what and were willing to use whatever arguments to justify supporting him. You claim this season that he has done very well for us and I don't disagree, but I get the feeling you would be just as fervent a Smith supporter had we finished in top 4 this season or if we finished dead last. Just my 2 cents.

To some extent, you have to believe the on field results should matter in some respect no? If you're always going to be blindly supporting him, what''s the point of arguing?

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Odd that a fan who hoped his team would be a midtable team, isn't that concerned when his team is midtable. 

Why?

Your so right @Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The progress is thanks to our fantastic owners.

Sure, Smith has done good but it's not as if he's not had the funds to do it with either.

This is why people say football is broken. If the progress a football team makes in winning matches and gaining promotion is mainly down to how much an owners spend then it's no longer a sport.

It's just a rich person 🍆 measuring contest that happens to involve a rectangular pitch and a leathery round ball. 

20 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Well that's horseshit. 

I said before we kicked a ball in the Premier league that 17th was all that mattered and that it would be a struggle. I also said, when many wanted him sacked, that whilst I didn't know if he'd keep us up, he deserved the chance to see if he could. Oh and guess what he did?

And I actually said that I could understand if the club wanted to change because of relegation but I felt having no disruption would be our best bet at bouncing back. Check Norwich out this year. 

I have to believe that on field results should matter? Are you being serious? 

Thats the reason I'm such a fan of what he's done. Name me a team in English football who have improved on field results as much as us? 

You're acting like we're still in the championship and I'm saying nothing matters. It's this kind of nonsense I find so funny. You can't even see the facts clearly about how much progress the team you support has managed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

This is why people say football is broken. If the progress a football team makes in winning matches and gaining promotion is mainly down to how much an owners spend then it's no longer a sport.

It's just a rich person 🍆 measuring contest that happens to involve a rectangular pitch and a leathery round ball. 

Your right, but it don't bother Man City fans too much, an I doubt it would bother us, if NSWE throw £250.000.000 on our squad next season.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Football has not been a sport for a long time then if we go by that logic.

Abramovich first at Chelsea, Now the Man City owners have taken over.

Without our owners, we would probably still be in the Championship, or maybe even worse.

39 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

Best manager since MON, and if you think Smith is one-dimensional, you don't remember MON's glory years.

Incredible results year on year. Poor form of late, but 25% of the season without our best player. At the start of the season, teams gave us no respect, so we ran riot. We've been figured out and are now limited by the playing staff, who are either mid-table quality, or relatively young. 

Luiz is 22. Konsa, Wes, Cash, all under 25. The squad will improve through maturity without a single signing. 

Add the youth and a few quid spent in the summer and 21/22 is gonna be great fun.

Villa fan captain, villa fan manager... this is what we've been dreaming of. It's a journey. We're not even halfway there.

The only manager I'd consider over Dean, is Pep.

Here, here. Wonderful post. I hope it gets right up the nose of some.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

The problem I had with your post is you are awarding the owner the lion share of praise.  If I walked in your office and gave the CEO the praise for your hard work I bet you would have something to say about that. 

The owners deserve their credit but last I checked the check signing pen doesn't make the match day 18. 

Hear, hear

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

The problem I had with your post is you are awarding the owner the lion share of praise.  If I walked in your office and gave the CEO the praise for your hard work I bet you would have something to say about that. 

The owners deserve their credit but last I checked the check signing pen doesn't make the match day 18. 

I am not saying it's been all down to them. 

Surely you must admit that without their financial backing of our manager, do you think we would be where we are now or even in the league we are in?

Probably not would be my guess.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Surely you must admit that without their financial backing of our manager, do you think we would be where we are now or even in the league we are in?

Probably not would be my guess.

As others asked. Why get rid of Bruce then? If all we needed was the owners to get to where we currently are?

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

If some posters have that opinion, then let them do so, you don't have to agree but there's no need to call them idiots. 

I'm not a Smith out person btw before anyone jumps on my post, but certainly have a lot of criticism for Deano based on recent performances.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Probably not would be my guess

Few managers could have pulled us out of the mess we were in without investment. It's also not irrelevant to point out that two of the clubs promoted so far were in the prem last year and the other one is fourth. Where we were when Smith took over...we weren't even a competent championship team. We were a languishing mess. The Championship is a hard league and even then it is miles behind the level of the PL.

Smith has done wonders taking us from 15th to stabilising us in the league in two and a half years while also completely rebuilding the squad. The owners have been great too. Let's hope they can continue to progress and build together like they have done year on year in a very competitive league. Even the shit teams have star players...we don't get to have everything our own way in games just because some fans feel we are somehow entitled. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

The way I see it is that there are pros and cons on both sides of the spectrum. You cannot deny what Deano has done for us, heck you have to admire it, based on where we were. So it's fair that some think he deserves a crack at next season.

I also see n understand the criticism of Deano as of late. Unfortunately performances have been poor and seem to be continuing.

Also have to accept we just don't know if he has hit his ceiling without giving him a chance, lot has to do with patience. Not all us supporters have it, I certainly don't n happy to admit that I was in the Smith out camp last year (humble pie for sure). All down to different opinions, but the ones that matter most are probably Purslow, Wes and Nassef, whether they have that patience and given their investment if they are happy to continue. Had we lost to West Brom I think Deano would really have felt the pressure.

For my own two cents, despite my recent criticism for Dean, he has proven that he can learn from mistakes and I wouldn't mind at all if he stayed n tried to push us on. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, supermon said:

The way I see it is that there are pros and cons on both sides of the spectrum. You cannot deny what Deano has done for us, heck you have to admire it, based on where we were. So it's fair that some think he deserves a crack at next season.

I also see n understand the criticism of Deano as of late. Unfortunately performances have been poor and seem to be continuing.

Also have to accept we just don't know if he has hit his ceiling without giving him a chance, lot has to do with patience. Not all us supporters have it, I certainly don't n happy to admit that I was in the Smith out camp last year (humble pie for sure). All down to different opinions, but the ones that matter most are probably Purslow, Wes and Nassef, whether they have that patience and given their investment if they are happy to continue. Had we lost to West Brom I think Deano would really have felt the pressure.

For my own two cents, despite my recent criticism for Dean, he has proven that he can learn from mistakes and I wouldn't mind at all if he stayed n tried to push us on. 

Poor results could be down to the amount of games we have had to play so quickly one after the other. Some are saying it could of truly knackered us as we have a lesser numbered squad than most if not all the rest in this league. There fresh legs and swapping compared to our same kgs on the pitch must be taking its toll.

I do also think Smith could of changed things better. As I said before I think we were fast, very aggressive, went after opponents not by sending one player but everyone covered someone and closes the gaps and blocked ball routes, we have stopped that and became to passive, Smith could of had us back doing that. I think Smith wants to cut the cards we gain out yet if that's true it hasn't worked one bit, making us passive should cut the yellow and red card gain out but all it's done is made us more easier to be had or gotten at. Opposing teams find it easy to come from there end of the pitch to our box all in one play, that should not be happening. In fact in first half of the season when opposing players tried carrying the ball from there box to ours they were quickly and often cut out and denied before they hit the half way line or just after. We have become slow, tactically stupid and retarded at responding, interupting, intercepting, retaining, carrying, passing, creating you name it we are looking nothing like the smart, fantastic, swift, responsive, fearless team we were earlier in the season.

I'm not blaming Smith, I'm not blaming players I think it's a mixture of both and I think we need better players coming in, with a better depth to us and let have the fearless side back.

• Like 1

I see some people want to replace Dean I see the reasoning that we could get a world famous manager now and we could improve....

I will not be calling for him to be replaced as we are progressing year on year and I see next year as better than this with some more players coming in.

I also think his sub usage has become better throughout the season also, it should get even better with more good options off the bench.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

As others asked. Why get rid of Bruce then? If all we needed was the owners to get to where we currently are?

I don't know their exact reasons why, but if I was to hazard a guess then maybe they wanted to bring in their own man? Maybe they thought Bruce was shit? Perhaps they wanted someone who was a Villa fan?

It's a question they would be able to answer better than I can in all fairness. 

But no matter what the reason was, our current manager has been backed to the hills financially - as would have any manager that had been given the job.

Â