Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i can't believe i have to have this debate with one of our own fans...it was in the first half of our 28th match. seasons are not completed after 28.5 games. as i said, it's only trolls of other teams that bring hawkeye up and frankly they don't deserve the time of day. i've never heard it from our own before and i'm amazed that it's come from someone on here as a stick to beat smith with.

i wish to god that that goal had stood because i'm sick of hearing about it. i am 100% convinced we'd have stayed up still if it had. sheff utd were there for the taking that day and i'm convinced we'd have got the equaliser in the 2nd half.

yes it was lucky...but to say it was the reason we stayed up is ridiculous.

Well said. 

Hawkeye and doing a Fulham were two things, stupid rivals would use to mock us. They're now becoming something to use to criticise the manager. 

Clear agenda by some. 

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i can't believe i have to have this debate with one of our own fans...it was in the first half of our 28th match. seasons are not completed after 28.5 games. as i said, it's only trolls of other teams that bring hawkeye up and frankly they don't deserve the time of day. i've never heard it from our own before and i'm amazed that it's come from someone on here as a stick to beat smith with.

i wish to god that that goal had stood because i'm sick of hearing about it. i am 100% convinced we'd have stayed up still if it had. sheff utd were there for the taking that day and i'm convinced we'd have got the equaliser in the 2nd half.

yes it was lucky...but to say it was the reason we stayed up is ridiculous.

Sick from who? I dont think its been debated on here?

Its not as tiresome as some of these 'smith can do no wrong' yet you dare crtitise him your opinions hilarous or tar and feather them for daring to voice against smith

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not as tiresome as some of these 'smith can do no wrong' yet you dare crtitise him your opinions hilarous or tar and feather them for daring to voice against smith

I’ve no horse in this race.  But I’d argue reasonable criticism of Smiths management is generally responded to quite respectfully on here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve no horse in this race.  But I’d argue reasonable criticism of Smiths management is generally responded to quite respectfully on here. 

Well look at the post above 

"Agenda by some"

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

"Agenda by some"

Yes but the point is that your criticism isn't reasonable. I say this as someone who wasn't convinced by Smith when we first appointed him (the Brentford love in here at the time I felt was weird), thought despite our poor squad there were grounds for criticism of him pre lockdown last season and no doubt think there's very much reason to critique him during this dreadful run we're in at the moment: judging him based on a manager you've just plucked out of thin air performing better than him this season and our third choice goalkeeper making a howler last season that fortunately for us wasn't given as a goal is very much something someone with an agenda would do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

"Agenda by some"

Probably a bit harsh.  With all due respect it does sometimes feel like fans are trying their hardest to find faults with Smith though. I think we’ve got enough since covid to be unhappy about. Comparing him to other clubs and managers that have totally different circumstances or bringing up spend and Hawkeye is when it starts to feel like a bit of agenda. 

Just my opinion mate.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Probably a bit harsh.  With all due respect it does something feel like fans are trying their hardest to find faults with Smith though. I think we’ve got enough since covid to be unhappy about. Comparing him to other clubs and managers that have totally different circumstances or bringing up spend and Hawkeye is when it starts to feel like a bit of agenda. 

Just my opinion mate.

I have no issues with that mate. If people dont agree with me totally fine. But there is no agenda.

I have explained my reasons for criticising smiths recent form right or wrong thats my view.

Do i want smith to turn it around? Absolutely. I like smith as a manager and am grateful for keeping us. I dont want another sacking if it can be avoided. But at same time this shit form haa to improve.He needs to win fans like me back and by doing that getting more points on board  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

its not been debated on here because the only ones that bring up hawkeye are idiots on social media and until today, i thought that no reasonable villa fan would ever consider it a valid argument. i'm not really sure what point you were looking to make by bringing it up when you also gave smith credit for turning it around. what kept us up, was it smith or hawkeye?

i don't think anyone is saying you cant criticise smith. no one can be happy with the 2021 form. can we all just accept that fans will lay varying levels of blame at smith for that form, ranging from 0-100% ?

personally i am somewhere around the 30-40% mark. others will feel differently.

this same argument seems to happen on here every few days, and you're right....it's incredibly tiresome

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have no issues with that mate. If people dont agree with me totally fine. But there is no agenda.

I have explained my reasons for criticising smiths recent form right or wrong thats my view.

Do i want smith to turn it around? Absolutely. I like smith as a manager and am grateful for keeping us. I dont want another sacking if it can be avoided. But at same time this shit form haa to improve.He needs to win fans like me back and by doing that getting more points on board  

I don't think he does. 

13 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Yes but the point is that your criticism isn't reasonable. I say this as someone who wasn't convinced by Smith when we first appointed him (the Brentford love in here at the time I felt was weird), thought despite our poor squad there were grounds for criticism of him pre lockdown last season and no doubt think there's very much reason to critique him during this dreadful run we're in at the moment: judging him based on a manager you've just plucked out of thin air performing better than him this season and our third choice goalkeeper making a howler last season that fortunately for us wasn't given as a goal is very much something someone with an agenda would do.

Ran out of likes. But nail on head. 

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Most posters yes, but there are 3 or 4 who explode into unfathomable rage when someond makes an observation. Then there's multiple pages of back and forth and the cycle restarts

• Like 1

Reasonable criticism doesn't get picked up on. There's lots of reasonable points made that don't get people defensive. This is a myth. 

Posts like "I'd wish he'd brought Davis on earlier as we were struggling to really effect their defence. I'd like to see him use subs earlier" isn't going to get a strong defence because its a fair, valid point at times. 

Posts like "When will he learn to use subs? If he'd brought Davis on earlier we'd have won the game. He needs to learn quickly as this is costing us points. We should have beaten all the bottom 3 and European qualification was something that easily could have been achieved. Serious questions need to be asked."

And of course when it's posters who have done nothing but criticise the man since day 1, it's hard to think it's a valid concern. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't think he should be above criticism, but some criticism does seem to be just grumpy boys having a grump. 

Davis could have had a hat trick on Sunday, hit the post and one saved. Bringing him on 10 mins earlier wouldn't have changed that.

I've not even looked at the baggies thread cos I'm fairly certain most of the comments will be negative crap.

I personally think Dean and his staff are doing a great job, we are still a few players short of taking the next step and hopefully that will be sorted in the summer. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Reasonable criticism doesn't get picked up on. There's lots of reasonable points made that don't get people defensive. This is a myth. 

Posts like "I'd wish he'd brought Davis on earlier as we were struggling to really effect their defence. I'd like to see him use subs earlier" isn't going to get a strong defence because its a fair, valid point at times. 

Posts like "When will he learn to use subs? If he'd brought Davis on earlier we'd have won the game. He needs to learn quickly as this is costing us points. We should have beaten all the bottom 3 and European qualification was something that easily could have been achieved. Serious questions need to be asked."

And of course when it's posters who have done nothing but criticise the man since day 1, it's hard to think it's a valid concern. 

You described my post as 'utter bullshit' when i said we should try to finish as high as possible

51 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

You described my post as 'utter bullshit' when i said we should try to finish as high as possible

Are you telling the truth?

If you share your original post, I'll gladly point out the part that I thought was utter bullshit.

I highly doubt you just said we should try and finish as high as possible. 

In fact I seem to remember you sarcastically pointing out how bizarre it would be for people to not want to finish as high as possible, and when others asked you to prove where anyone had said this, you did a pathetic 180. 

But please share the original post and if I was out of line, I'll gladly apologise. But I have a feeling your post contained some other opinions that I did view as bullshit. 

Edited by DCJonah

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That wouldnt be me despite me criticising him 🙂

You still havent answered my response from a few pages back. Why has your opinion changed to so much anger from the 1st page on this thread

Maybe look at your posts on page 1 when we were bottom half of the Championship and Smith took over

What was your expectation of Villa in April 2021 back then? 

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Are you telling the truth?

If you share your original post, I'll gladly point out the part that I thought was utter bullshit.

I highly doubt you just said we should try and finish as high as possible. 

In fact I seem to remember you sarcastically pointing out how bizarre it would be for people to not want to finish as high as possible, and when others asked you to prove where anyone had said this, you did a pathetic 180. 

But please share the original post and if I was out of line, I'll gladly apologise. But I have a feeling your post contained some other opinions that I did view as bullshit. 

Yes.

Don't need to.

I did.

It would be bizarre. No 180, just backed up my claim that it would be bizarre, never claimed anyone did say that.

I dont need you to apologise, but thanks for the sentiment.

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Yes.

Don't need to.

I did.

It would be bizarre. No 180, just backed up my claim that it would be bizarre, never claimed anyone did say that.

I dont need you to apologise, but thanks for the sentiment.

Thanks for making me feel better. I was a little worried I may have responded harshly for no reason. No need to worry now. 

Â