Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah I know he is out injured. But he might have aggravated it somehow. But he clearly wasn't hobbled during the game and didn't go down injured at any point either. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/20/manchester-city-aston-villa-premier-league-match-report

The match report on the night of the game reported he was injured during the game. It doesn't always have to be a visual drama. 

This was enforced by a De Bruyne injury but the question was whether it might actually prove a blessing.

After the match, Guardiola added that he was unsure if De Bruyne and Walker’s injuries were serious.

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Because there is room for improvement. 

Slating is a harsh word. But we can be better and this is the key area. 

Room for improvement. 

We've gone from midtable championship to 8th in the prem in 2 years. I don't think there is a team in this country that has improved as much as us in that period. And you're gonna continue to get on him because of room for improvement. Jesus just enjoy it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

We'd be 5th on goal difference if he made a sub before we conceded the 2nd against Burnley. 

There is absolutely no proof of that. It's the same as saying we'd have been relegated if that goal against Sheff Utd was awarded by Hawkeye.

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We'd be 5th on goal difference if he made a sub before we conceded the 2nd against Burnley. 

We'd be 15th on goal difference with many other managers at the helm

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

It's not about Dean not trusting the players on the bench, it's that he's got trust in those on the pitch. 

It is such a finely poised situation and game that there's probably no real winning answer. 

There were arguments for sticking and mixing things up. 

The conclusion to me is that some people are being absolutely ridiculously harsh and have been waiting for an excuse to get their teeth stuck in again after such a great run. 

It's like the wife-beater looking for a slight mark on a plate to justify their over the top reaction. 

Sad. 

I do believe if we had better players on the bench that Smith would of made those subs.

However I do agree with you that despite the fact our players did amazing that there are those on here that will still try stick it to Smith or the lads and find something to bash them with.

What everyone needs to remember is tonight we won and it's as simple as that, we cant really say anything, they all did well. Southampton were playing amazing and you cant take that away from them. Yes Smith may trust his first eleven tonight to see the game to an end and put it to bed, yet I think if any of those subs were made I'm not sure we would of won, it was the right calm either way to not make any subs and I respect Dean's choice.

We won everyone, an important three points against a tough very tough team where we had to slog it out all game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

how bizarre. i'll be going to bed tonight buzzing that we won tonight. however that win came. it's a shame you can't do the same and instead pretend that we drew.

I'm happy we won.

But I'm not some hypocrite who is happy that just because we got **** over earlier in the season another team was also **** over.

They drew the lines from. The wrong place on ings. The Burnley kit has the lines already on it from where it is supposed to be measured. Opposite the armpit. 

It's just his management style. He mentioned over Christmas he doesn't believe tiredness from playing too much is a thing, he'll play what he thinks is his best XI every minute of every game unless his hand is forced.

Just now, MotoMkali said:

As if mcginn and barkley weren't. Barkley gave a away a free kick in the edge of the D because he couldn't be bothered to make a proper pass. 

I didn’t say they weren’t, but Nakamba needs hell of alot more time on the ball than the other midfielders, we where poor but we got our 3 points , At the end of the day Smith has us in 8th 3 points off 5th with a game in hand

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

I’ll get accused of moaning but our tired legs today were spared embarrassment from a combo of Danny Ings’ sleeve and a world class save from Emi.

The “but we won” crowd are outcome focused rather than process focused. In poker terms we went all in with a pair of 3’s. Just because we won doesn’t mean it was the best strategy.

no, the "but we won" crowd just believe that a sub would have made the 11 on the pitch worse and that a knackered barkley or mcginn are better than a fresh marvelous or trez

No subs tonight was almost Clough esq .....

But like I keep saying it's the fine margins of the prem. He has brought us from mid table championship to 8th in the prem - so perhaps he's right after all...

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Room for improvement. 

We've gone from midtable championship to 8th in the prem in 2 years. I don't think there is a team in this country that has improved as much as us in that period. And you're gonna continue to get on him because of room for improvement. Jesus just enjoy it. 

Not in this period but wolves went from championship to 7th in one season. And Leicester went from relegation fight to title in one season. Let's not act like it is impossible to be better. We have spent 200 million in that period as well. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

So you agree with those watkins decisions as well because they measured from the edge of his sleeve. Which is not what they are supposed to do. I'm glad we got the 3 points but we shouldn't have. 

This would be a very different table if based on accurate decisions across the board as somebody previously showed.  

I thought Ings was offside today and I accepted Watkins was. While different to the so called rule they have been consistent with that a number of times not just the two you mentioned.  The rule does need to be clarified though because the rulings consistently through VAR using the edge of the sleeve so maybe there is a clarification we have missed with all the rule changes recently because different VAR officials in different games are using sleeve as the standard.

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because you say so?

He's got us promoted, kept us up and now we're up to 8th and you have figured out his flaws? 

Sorry but this is an unfair and unreasonable comment IMO.

You are trying to nullify his point by hanging that on to it?

Its an observation a very large number of us have made, yeah we ain't managers and we have done well, but still.

Is it coincidence that other managers proactively make changes which have either nullified or turned us over in the past?

Burnley possibly the freshest example.

Its possible to both appreciate the players and manager, yet call them out for what we feel are weaknesses or flaws.

We were hanging on for dear life in that game with no respite, and were ultimately lucky to come out with any points.

We could call it a tactical masterclass, but that simply wouldn't be true in my view, it was ily risky,

I get defending our manager and players etc, but none should be beyond constructive criticism.

Especially when the premise is that by all accounts we overall love Deano.

Alot of the comments are out of genuine worry, not just people tryin to be pricks, for the most part anyway.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

no, the "but we won" crowd just believe that a sub would have made the 11 on the pitch worse and that a knackered barkley or mcginn are better than a fresh marvelous or trez

Which is false. Because a tired mcginn and barkley let players run without challenge it is like like 9 vs 11.

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i agree too. you also have to bear in mind that the players all have various monitors on them feeding data back to the coaches iPads. they have all the data they need to see if players are knackered or not. they clearly were fine to see the result out

There is that to yes, they have those black tight tops on under there shirts what my son calls ladys Bras lol

They do go all technical and we dont never see it apart from the iPads shown to a sub when they come on. I'd love to see all that side of it more to be fair, shame they cant somehow incorporate it during the game and show some of it off.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I very much imagine this is where the disagreement stems from the “two camps”.

• Like 1

Nah, there’s two separate arguments going. Some people reckon knackered McGinn is better than Marvo, and that’s fair enough. Not my view, but fair enough.

There’s another group arguing, in effect, that we can’t criticize the decisions if we end up winning the match. I don’t accept that argument at all.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

This would be a very different table if based on accurate decisions across the board as somebody previously showed.  

I thought Ings was offside today and I accepted Watkins was. While different to the so called rule they have been consistent with that a number of times not just the two you mentioned.  The rule does need to be clarified though because the rulings consistently through VAR using the edge of the sleeve so maybe there is a clarification we have missed with all the rule changes recently because different VAR officials in different games are using sleeve as the standard.

20201130_220948.jpg.5ad8b99dc09b85445f5ac4ebe73b345c.jpg

Ignoring the fact Watkins was being fouled...This line is being drawn from the wrong place. Its closer to his elbow than his shoulder.

I agree they are trying to be consistent, but they got this one very wrong for me.

• Like 2

Â