Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I have no idea how anyone can say players should have come on. Again, as though only positive things happen when you make a sub. 

I read your other comment about how we would be made significantly worse if Barkley comes off, but is that really the case?

It depends on the game state. We were winning, under pressure and every minute Barkley plays after 60 minutes he has less and less impact. There's absolutely no way on earth that Nakamba/Trez coming on sooner was not the logical decision here. It's why it happened - it just should've earlier. A knackered Barkley, who can't defend, is not better than a fit Trezeguet when you are 0-1 up away from home.

We won, I am not gonna cry about it, but constructive criticism is valid and I say it every week tbh.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They scored at the end, we were very very lucky it was offside!!

28 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Only because ings sleeve was offside, they were creating to many chances and we could all see what was coming. 

27 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

VAR bailed us out at the end. It should’ve finished 1-1 let’s not be blinded by it. 

Yep and if Ollie Watkins shaved his arm pits we'd probably be 6 points better off aswell. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Because it isn't the fact he made the subs fault we lose then. It is we were slightly worse or wait he waited for us to go down before making the change. Yep that is it. 

Maybe he could make 3 subs 5 mins in.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Haha 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Fine play trez then, or maybe el ghazi being a threat on the counter forces them to keep another player back and ease pressure. They created 5 goalscoring opportunities in the last half an hour an we were incredibly lucky that martinez is such a good keeper. 

Does it force them to do that? They were winning the ball so easily from us. Like I said in my OP. I can't with 100% confidence say he should have made this sub or that sub. I thought at various times he's got to change it but I cannot say who he should have brought in.

We were incredibly lucky. That is true. Just like Burnley were incredibly lucky on Wednesday. That's football. Sometimes you do everything right and lose.

I think you lot assume we want Smith out or unhappy with our play. We are happy with him but this is clearly his biggest flaw and we have been saying this all-season. How many times does Smith wait for us to concede before deigning to make a sub. You know what happened the last time we made a proactive sub? We had a player score 5 in 6.

Because you say so?

He's got us promoted, kept us up and now we're up to 8th and you have figured out his flaws? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Yep and if Ollie Watkins shaved his arm pits we'd probably be 6 points better off aswell. 

So we agree the goal was onside. And that the score was actually 1-1 if it wasn't for incompetent refereeing

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I read your other comment about how we would be made significantly worse if Barkley comes off, but is that really the case?

It depends on the game state. We were winning, under pressure and every minute Barkley plays after 60 minutes he has less and less impact. There's absolutely no way on earth that Nakamba/Trez coming on sooner was not the logical decision here. It's why it happened - it just should've earlier. A knackered Barkley, who can't defend, is not better than a fit Trezeguet when you are 0-1 up away from home.

We won, I am not gonna cry about it, but constructive criticism is valid and I say it every week tbh.

I think players with such limited technical ability as trez and nakamba would have made us worse, with the pressing they put on us tonight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Hmmm. You can't really use this argument at all. We should not have won, ignoring the handball.

I love Smith and he clearly favours continuity over anything, but he has to trust his squad more. Nakamba or Sanson should have come on after 70 mins. El Ghazi was blistering when he was starting and hasn't been given a sniff.

I imagine Villa is a pretty lonely place if you are on the periphery, especially when there is a pretty obvious case to be made to hold onto the lead and Barkley was again knackered and clearly is inferior defensively.

You can though because if we had lost it would’ve been used against him.

If he had made subs and then we conceded it would’ve been used against him.

He chose not to make subs and we won so he can use it.

I would’ve made subs and who knows if I would’ve been right.  Dean can prove he was right because we won.  Ifs and maybes don’t matter, we still won.  That was his decision and it worked out.

Dean got criticised for the defensive mistakes on Wednesday which I don’t think we’re his fault. This...subs...he has control of...I would’ve made a different decision but his decision worked out.  It’s hard to criticise a decision too much when it still worked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Because you say so?

He's got us promoted, kept us up and now we're up to 8th and you have figured out his flaws? 

Everyone has figured out his flaw. He is clearly a good manager. And I wouldn't want any other manager but I don't want us to lose games because he refuses to make the change even when it is obvious momentum has turned. 

Everyone has figured out his flaw. He is clearly a good manager. And I wouldn't want any other manager but I don't want us to lose games because he refuses to make the change even when it is obvious momentum has turned. 

You say things as though making subs always makes things better. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can see the argument at times, even if i do think this subs thing is just becoming a moan for moaning sake. 

But tonight I can completely see why he didn't trust his bench. That game was not for players like nakamba and trez. And it would have been massively unfair to throw sanson into that. 

Yeah I agree, none of those benches would of made a difference tonight i dont think, that was hardcore and our first eleven had to do the business and see it through. Southampton was a proper grind and I respect Smith for sticking to his guns and not make any changes.

Yes I also agree on Sanson, it would of been unfair to put him through that teeth grinding game, it was ruthless I'll five southampton there respect they are a tough team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I was wondering why Smith didnt make any subs sooner than last minutes, we could of done with fresh legs.

Though I do understand if he doesnt trust some of the bench lads as that's the only reason I can come up with as to why Smith didnt bring on subs to see the game out. Let's face it apart from Sanson we dont have anyone or at least I wouldn't bring any of those subs to see that game out, best to just stick with the guys on the pitch.

It's not about Dean not trusting the players on the bench, it's that he's got trust in those on the pitch. 

It is such a finely poised situation and game that there's probably no real winning answer. 

There were arguments for sticking and mixing things up. 

The conclusion to me is that some people are being absolutely ridiculously harsh and have been waiting for an excuse to get their teeth stuck in again after such a great run. 

It's like the wife-beater looking for a slight mark on a plate to justify their over the top reaction. 

Sad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I would’ve made subs and who knows if I would’ve been right.  Dean can prove he was right because we won.  Ifs and maybes don’t matter, we still won.  That was his decision and it worked out.

Dean got criticised for the defensive mistakes on Wednesday which I don’t think we’re his fault. This...subs...he has control of...I would’ve made a different decision but his decision worked out.  It’s hard to criticise a decision too much when it still worked.

Would have to agree to disagree that "because we won" nullifies any criticism. For me things are not this black and white, especially as we won because of some bizarre offside rule which we were all going nuts about earlier in the season.

You can't say "oh you would fully have the right to slate him if someone's arse was 2mm bigger" surely!

We’ve hit the half way point of the season

We’re 1 point off Europe, above arsenal and Chelsea with games in hand, have arguably the best player in the league, we have the 3rd best defence in the league, 2nd most clean sheets, on our day play some really good to watch football and have recorded one of the best wins in a generation of villa fans

incredible turn around, most enjoyable villa side since the MON years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

So we agree the goal was onside. And that the score was actually 1-1 if it wasn't for incompetent refereeing

Nope it was offside, the linesman said and the VAR said so.....two officials

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We are still saying his lack of subs is an issue even though we won. So they can't make that arguement because it is an issue. And they are sticking their heads in the sand. 

Just now, Dave-R said:

Yeah I agree, none of those benches would of made a difference tonight i dont think, that was hardcore and our first eleven had to do the business and see it through. Southampton was a proper grind and I respect Smith for sticking to his guns and not make any changes.

Yes I also agree on Sanson, it would of been unfair to put him through that teeth grinding game, it was ruthless I'll five southampton there respect they are a tough team.

Absolutely. There was no need to risk disrupting that blood and guts type defending for players like nakamba and trez. 

Â