Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, supermon said:

There was time to bring another on

I don't know when they got a whiff that there were going to be 6 minutes added as that probably had an effect on when the token time-wasting sub would come on.  I have no idea where 6 mins came from tbh.  I thought we were the worse team across 96 minutes regardless of subs but Hassenhuttl is probably the manager I'd most want to take over from Dean if he ever left (which I hope he never does).

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Because it is the proven formula for success. Did De Bruyne play the full 90 vs us even when they weren't winning? No he didn't he came of at 0-0 and then they won. 

He was injured! Didn't play today, out for 6 weeks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sums some people up on here. Madness at the moment. 

We had traore being slagged off before he kicked a ball. Someone wanted barkley sent back to Chelsea and the same people keep focusing on any negative they can find about the manager. 

I think you'll find I have been nothing but positive about Villa on here except in regards to this and playing clearly unfit players in mcginn and barkley. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Make the subs at 60. Like guardiola would do, or klopp would do. Like any great manager would do. 

Pep barely makes subs in games. Maybe less than Smith! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Because it is the proven formula for success. Did De Bruyne play the full 90 vs us even when they weren't winning? No he didn't he came of at 0-0 and then they won. 

Proven formula for who? This is utterly bullshit and its laughable that you believe it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Pathetic is doing nothing when we are being dominated, 

Just digging your head in the sand hoping for the best

The problem is the assumption that Nakamba coming on for mcginn would mean that we would no longer be dominated 

• Like 4

I do get both sides of the argument to be fair, bit it isn't just this game, I've felt a while now Dean hasn't been great at making subs. We do have to think about the next game, fatigue and squad rotation.

Anyway interesting debate lads

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

But they don't... 

Pep made 1 sub today, in the 90th minute

And how many players that are regularly in the first team was on the pitch? No stones, cancelo or sterling. Rotation is the same as subs as it means your players are fresher for other games. 

• Like 1

I love listening to Smith’s post match interviews. So nice to hear a manager who says how he sees the game and gives a little tactical insight into the game. What a difference from the “roll up our sleeves” nonsense that a lot of managers come out with. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Pathetic is doing nothing when we are being dominated, 

Just digging your head in the sand hoping for the best

What was the score?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Make the subs at 60. Like guardiola would do, or klopp would do. Like any great manager would do. 

Hmm...let's see if there is a bit of difference between us. 

I wonder if pep would be always making subs if he had nakamba and trezeguet on his bench. 

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We were the worst team in the league for conceding goals in the last 15 minutes of games last season. Pretty clear evidence of not making the subs at the right time. 

Clear evidence of a completely naive team, one that is thankfully much different this season.

Smith appears to be no different this season regarding subs (or lack of)

Yet we've only let in 7 in the last half hour, of which 4 were in the last 15. Only Chelsea and Man City are any better.

Btw, i still agree Smith can be much better at using his bench

• Like 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

And how many players that are regularly in the first team was on the pitch? No stones, cancelo or sterling. Rotation is the same as subs as it means your players are fresher for other games. 

That's something different

Same with the match thread, the shouts to sub Barkley off in the first half I didn't agree with them, the shout to not start Barkley I did agree with 

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes we won 4 in 6 with el ghazi at left wing. Evidently the team can play that way. Traore wasn't tracking back for 20 minutes bring trez on. I'd prefer a change in midfield but anything would have been better so we keep the ball. 

It wasn't a game for El Ghazi IMO. It wasn't West Brom sitting back and letting us have the ball. It was Southampton and they were all over us like a rash. Granted the last 10 minutes were a bit helter skelter but at that stage I thought leave it and hope for the best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The problem is the assumption that Nakamba coming on for mcginn would mean that we would no longer be dominated 

Its not an assumption. It is fact. You make subs you automatically become a better team and instantly see out the game in far more comfort. Don't you know anything?! :D 

• Haha 2

Â