Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

We’ve hit the half way point of the season

We’re 1 point off Europe, above arsenal and Chelsea with games in hand, have arguably the best player in the league, we have the 3rd best defence in the league, 2nd most clean sheets, on our day play some really good to watch football and have recorded one of the best wins in a generation of villa fans

incredible turn around, most enjoyable villa side since the MON years

We'd be top of the league if he'd make a sub

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Yeah I agree, none of those benches would of made a difference tonight i dont think, that was hardcore and our first eleven had to do the business and see it through. Southampton was a proper grind and I respect Smith for sticking to his guns and not make any changes.

Yes I also agree on Sanson, it would of been unfair to put him through that teeth grinding game, it was ruthless I'll five southampton there respect they are a tough team.

i agree too. you also have to bear in mind that the players all have various monitors on them feeding data back to the coaches iPads. they have all the data they need to see if players are knackered or not. they clearly were fine to see the result out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Everyone has figured out his flaw. He is clearly a good manager. And I wouldn't want any other manager but I don't want us to lose games because he refuses to make the change even when it is obvious momentum has turned. 

It's not a flaw, if we had a much better bench then he would bring subs on, everyone knows that his bench is not much. Everyone knows if we had of made subs we would of draw or even lost the game.

It was so tough that Mutton is easier to chew through that's if you dont slow cook it that is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Nope it was offside, the linesman said and the VAR said so.....two officials

So you agree with those watkins decisions as well because they measured from the edge of his sleeve. Which is not what they are supposed to do. I'm glad we got the 3 points but we shouldn't have. 

2 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Would have to agree to disagree that "because we won" nullifies any criticism. For me things are not this black and white, especially as we won because of some bizarre offside rule which we were all going nuts about earlier in the season.

You can't say "oh you would fully have the right to slate him if someone's arse was 2mm bigger" surely!

Why would anyone want to slate him after what he's done so far? Even if we'd lost. 

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

It's not a flaw, if we had a much better bench then he would bring subs on, everyone knows that his bench is not much. Everyone knows if we had of made subs we would of draw or even lost the game.

It was so tough that Mutton is easier to chew through that's if you dont slow cook it that is.

Exactly. We are in the process of building a squad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

So you agree with those watkins decisions as well because they measured from the edge of his sleeve. Which is not what they are supposed to do. I'm glad we got the 3 points but we shouldn't have. 

If they'd measured Watkins from the same place they measured today's he'd have been given onside for his goals. This one was measured from closer to the shoulder than Watkins'

Edited by MrBlack

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think players with such limited technical ability as trez and nakamba would have made us worse, with the pressing they put on us tonight. 

Exactly they would have lost the ball in a tight areas , probably the best team we have played this year right up there with City

2 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Would have to agree to disagree that "because we won" nullifies any criticism. For me things are not this black and white, especially as we won because of some bizarre offside rule which we were all going nuts about earlier in the season.

You can't say "oh you would fully have the right to slate him if someone's arse was 2mm bigger" surely!

No, I’m saying he made a decision that you and I would’ve done different ie making subs, his way worked out.  Just because we disagree with his way doesn’t negate that his way worked.  We can criticise him but his decision still worked.

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

So we agree the goal was onside. And that the score was actually 1-1 if it wasn't for incompetent refereeing

how bizarre. i'll be going to bed tonight buzzing that we won tonight. however that win came. it's a shame you can't do the same and instead pretend that we drew.

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly they would have lost the ball in a tight areas , probably the best team we have played this year right up there with City

As if mcginn and barkley weren't. Barkley gave a away a free kick in the edge of the D because he couldn't be bothered to make a proper pass. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Because there is room for improvement. 

Slating is a harsh word. But we can be better and this is the key area. 

Any criticism is slating 😂 what classic hyperbolic rhetoric

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

We'd be 5th on goal difference if he made a sub before we conceded the 2nd against Burnley. 

I agree he should have made a change earlier against Burnley. I agree he should have made a change earlier tonight. There is zero guarantee we'd have won against Burnley if he'd made that change. 

• Like 2

Â