Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Of course Smith has input, but the era of managers signing players is long gone.

I agree, but you said Lampard, like Smith, wouldn’t be signing the players. He’d have an input, and who knows, if Lampard could see that some of our expensive flops weren’t going to cut it in the premier league he could have vetoed them.

Edited by Genie

14 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Mental decision, the only reason we needed to offer a new contract was if someone was going to pinch him!

.....On the arse.lol

Just now, Genie said:

I agree, but you said Lampard, like Smith, wouldn’t be signing the players. He’d have an input, and who knows, if Lampard could see that some of our expensive flops weren’t going to cut it in the premier league who could have vetoed them.

Possibly, Lampard is really green as a manager. I bet he would have struggled to handle a record short pre-season/record short transfer window just like our guys did.

I'm not sure how much time we (Smith) had at extensively study the players presented to him from our recruitment team. I imagine it was pretty much "here is this guy, yay or nay?" OK Next!

I've no clue what his hit rate was at Derby with signings or what part he had with them there. He is not the one doing signings at Chelsea.

If either of Dean Smith or Sudo are still here when we kick off next season (almost certainly in the championship) it will be very hard to find the same motivation to watch next season

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, grobs said:

I liked sherwood at villa and feel like he was dealt a rough hand. Would be happy for us to give him another chance 

Not sure about giving him another chance now that we're down, but agree he was dealt a really rough hand. Benteke and Vlaar gone, and Snake leaving at the last minute. It was a mess on all levels.

Just now, AVTuco said:

Not sure about giving him another chance now that we're down, but agree he was dealt a really rough hand. Benteke and Vlaar gone, and Snake leaving at the last minute. It was a mess on all levels.

I  dont think we offered Vlaar a new deal and signed Richards instead

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I  dont think we offered Vlaar a new deal and signed Richards instead

Vlaar wanted to leave, didn't he?

Anyways, the whole spine of the team that just about survived, thanks to Sherwood, left. And Tim was very inexperienced at that point, and got a dozen games or so. To me, he's not nearly as bad as this board makes him out to be.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Vlaar wanted to leave, didn't he?

Anyways, the whole spine of the team that just about survived, thanks to Sherwood, left. And Tim was very inexperienced at that point, and got a dozen games or so. To me, he's not nearly as bad as this board makes him out to be.

Agree.

Everyone harps on about Smith getting us promoted,  but Sherwood’s achievement keeping us up when we were dead and buried is equally as good imo. Plus he got us to a cup final. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Then, we sack a manager for not getting us into too half. Then, sack a manager for not getting Europe. 

We have to walk before we can run, and in getting promoted, our legs were already moving too fast for our body.

Cant agree with this. When a manager performs poor he goes. It depends on the level of progress.

If wr finished 15th and 13th in next two seasons with smith he wouldnt be sacked. If he did be very harsh

8 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

So, just done some research on this from the 5 bottom teams average shots conceded since restart. Considering we are the only club that allows pot shot after pot shot. 

So, club, followed by average shots conceded per game:

Watford  - 14

Norwich - 13 (not including 37 shots against v man utd in the cup)

West ham - 12

Bournemouth - 11.25

Villa - 11.2

Look, criticise smith. I agree with alot of it. Don't make things up and pull things out thin air to criticise him with. That's not fair and it's a lie. I'm seeing a lot of these types of criticisms, like we've thrown away every single lead we've had this season. 

Some of this things Smith gets criticised for are spot on, some of them are just laughable. This one is laughable.

It's fine margins when you mix with the elite in the prem.

Last minute defeats to spurs and Liverpool - holding out against the champions for 70 minutes - coming close doesn't cut it at this level.

Rightly or wrongly the manager ( or head coach ) is held accountable. I think he's done for to be honest.

1 hour ago, ozvilla28 said:

100% spot on been saying that months ago reading all this crap there not his players etc it may be the case,but any manager atleast minimum should have his team organised not over the place, defending worse then school boys still going on even last week against Liverpool, poor tactically and as you say we look like not up for the fight been like that for months to that was the last straw.Should have gone before that Chelsea game before shutdown owners to slow to move.

Target , Heaton, Mings - 3 pretty solid prem players IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone advocating giving Sherwood another go here needs to get their head checked.

I'm serious. Lockdown has affected us all in different ways. It's hit a lot of people's mental health.

If you're having thoughts of giving Sherwood another job in football then please talk to someone, or call your GP and get an appointment.

This is the same guy who thinks Pogba, Bruno and Jack make a workable midfield. He isn't even a good pundit....

The guy is an absolute joke. I'd rather put a dog in charge of the team. Honestly don't know how anyone could live through Sherwood's reign and think "yeah I'd give him another go"

A total clown.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

If either of Dean Smith or Sudo are still here when we kick off next season (almost certainly in the championship) it will be very hard to find the same motivation to watch next season

Assuming COVID doesnt get a vaccine this year  and given the absence of coverage in the Championship chances are Villa fans wont be watching next season regardless of who is here.

Because AVTV is incompetently run and the EFL have a strict "no online revenue thanks, we are the Championship" policy.

If Smith gets sacked and we manage to stay up with a good manager than we will be able to watch Villa next season of course. But the chances of that seem close to zero right now.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I dont buy that the squad isnt good enough. Utter rubbish. Worse sides than us are comfortably safe.

Who has a worse squad?

Any group of players are capable of not getting relegated from the PL.

This is incorrect.

The buck stops with Smith. He hasnt created any kind of "niche" for us. We cant defend, we cant score, dont show fight, rubbish subs, changes (if they come) never work. He's been exposed badly this season.

Fair comment. A shade harsh perhaps, but we've been poor.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Do you think Lampard would have signed worse players than we ended up with? I don’t think it’s possible, especially with an outlay of £145m

Lampard wouldn't have signed any players. He'd had been given the shite Suso bought. And he'd have massively struggled.

2 hours ago, grobs said:

I liked sherwood at villa and feel like he was dealt a rough hand. Would be happy for us to give him another chance 

Grobby I don't know who you support, but you can stay as long as you keep up the entertainment value. Take notes from Screwdriver's finest stuff, there's some gold if you look hard enough.

Just please don't end up like the serious windup merchants that lose sight of the fun. 

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Lampard wouldn't have signed any players. He'd had been given the shite Suso bought. And he'd have massively struggled.

You’re of the opinion that the manager has no say in the players that come in, really?

Â