Dean Smith

Demitri_C

36 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I have sympathy TRO but now we are recruiting from around the world it’s just not tenable for the manager to do all the recruitment 

There is an argument also that in this day and age, Managers should not be trusted with recruitment as they inevitably think short term whilst the club wants to look long term - not my idea TRO, just what is happening in the modern game.   

The problem as i see it is, we can't get the short term right, so the medium and long term can't be reached.

These blueprints and plans folk talk about only work when the short term is accomplished.....it sounds narrow minded, but its true......we are always fire fighting, we have been for years, its as far back as Lerner's later tenure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Ability to do what? Finish top 10? 15th?

Did you see a change in style last year from Bruce to Smith? I'd put that down to coaching.

I think it's a fair assumption that coaching has continued with these players.

But this time we're playing Liverpool and Man Utd, not Blackburn and Nottingham Forest.

Putting it all on Smith is wrong.

This really is the long and short of it. People are acting like this is Smith's first season ever with us, and last season never happened. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

This really is the long and short of it. People are acting like this is Smith's first season ever with us, and last season never happened. 

Instead of saying "I don't rate Smith, I want him out" they are saying "He's never improved any of our players and we've lost every game this season".

Nincompoopery.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What's that?

I think the physio is still at Villa actually.

If Jack leaves, let's put all our players on the strength plan. Then we'll have a squad of £75m players.

It was ollie stevenson an ex academy player, who was dedicated to Jack...not a physio.

We could do worse.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Instead of saying "I don't rate Smith, I want him out" they are saying "He's never improved any of our players and we've lost every game this season".

Nincompoopery.

The funniest one was "we threw away every lead we had this season", which could be dispelled by just thinking about that for 1 more second.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Nincompoopery.

No , improved the odd player and lost nearly all the games this season.....in the interests of accuracy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It was ollie stevenson an ex academy player, who was dedicated to Jack...not a physio.

We could do worse.

He's the strength and conditioning coach. And he worked with a player on...strength and conditioning.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's the strength and conditioning coach. And he worked with a player on...strength and conditioning

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Sadly that's pretty much bang on. We concede to easily under pressure and it's not improved all season. It might improve in the championship - although I have my doubts.

Durham as much as he can be a right tool at times is bang on...we never press...always retreat...allow the opposition to sroll through the middle of the pitch....centre halfs always on 6 yard line...there were 9 villa players in the box when liverpool scored...you look at most of our goals conceeded....this happens most...if not all of the time.

Bang on....smith has not addressed this all season

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

No , improved the odd player and lost nearly all the games this season.....in the interests of accuracy.

If he's acting as you've said which is to throw games so he keeps his job, I'm surprised you're not angrier to be honest. 

I'd be seething if someone was throwing games. I'd be calling the FA, calling the club. You should ring the papers with your story.

3 hours ago, VillaCas said:

- What the club say in public and think in private may be two different things. If you sincerely believed 14th would be our finishing position I can understand your disappointment - I just hoped for survival this season and it has gone pretty much as I expected

- It’s NOT the manager who governs football matters. The CEO sets the strategy (buy young, wages structures, no loanees etc etc), the DofF manages the scouting network and player acquisition. The manager is in the mix, he is responsible for tactics, coaching but  also but works in the structure.

- I won’t list the mistakes Smith has made as their are plenty of people ready to point them out. My opinion is that he will have learnt from many of those mistakes and it would be foolish to throw that learning away and start again with a new manager who has to learn for himself from scratch - UNLESS we are going to bring in a manager who is clearly of a top level which I doubt is in the plans

- I think if we stay up we will sign a different type of player in the close season - a couple of Cahill-type signings would have made all the difference. Drinkwater was a gamble that didn’t come off but that type of signing is what was missing this year

- If we go down and lose two or three I think we could recruit for the Championship but with an eye on the PL

I’m of the opinion that our problems were , a “bad” squad built by Bruce, an unexpected promotion and too many ‘projects’ and not enough experience in the transfer window

If we keep changing managers every 18 months it will breed the short term attitude that resulted in the Bruce squad - signIng loanees and almost-over-the-hill one season wonders, rinse and repeat

Many may not agree but I want somebody to be given the chance of building something over a longer period - Smith knows the club, did great last season, will have learnt a lot this season and despite difficulties seems to still have the players on his side

Come on TRO, come over from the dark side!!

I'm generally in agreement with you here but I hope they don't spend too much to get promotion, firstly as it shouldn't need fortunes and secondly when we do get back( assuming we are relegated) a shed load of cash from Grealish would help buy some real quality next time round. I hope we can keep Luiz, Mings and McGinn, who along with Heaton can form the nucleus of a good side.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

TRO, you'll know I said this about Bruce, who I didn't think would get us to where we wanted to be (promoted). The thing with your comment there is that it's right, but then people keep wanting to cut the short term, er, short. So back to the argument I made about Bruce. I didn't think he'd get us up, I didn't rate him as a manager, BUT I kept saying (despite my personal view on him) he has to be given time - he has to have the chance to do his job in that Fulham play-off season. First season (not quite a full one) he improved the weaknesses we had but finished mid-table. Get rid? No. Give him the chance to do his work. Second season - play-offs, and again "Give him the chance". His last season, into his third year, that's when you start looking around if things aren't going the way they should be.

Now Dean Smith - came in, made an immediate, massive improvement, then there was a slump, then a great run and promotion. Clearly he's got something good going for him. Then we lost a large part of the squad and had to rebuild, in a rush, while finding ourselves in a much harder division. We started promisingly, but with clear weaknesses. We've since lost the spine of the side  - 'Keeper, McGinn and Wesley. So again, quickly bring in more unfamiliar faces, then all of a sudden these new people, not used to England, not used to their life here are put into isolation. It's a quite extraordinary set of circumstances to deal with. And it's only Villa has had to cope with all of that. No one else got promoted through the play-offs, not knowing if they'd be in the Prem, or lost so many players...And all with new owners also unfamiliar to the league and country.

Dean Smith is not the problem here. He might not be the solution to where we want to get to, or he might. Like you say get the short term right. That means giving him a decent chance to sort things out. It's a team thing - it's not just the manager or the coaches - it's recruiting staff, scouts, owners, all of them. He's not had a full season at the club either in the EFL or the Prem, and people are wanting rid. Each to their own, but that's complete short termism at its very worst IMO. No chance of a medium or long term if you don't give the short term a chance. You're right there.

All these points have been made numerous times, but to avail. This is an excellent post summing up exactly how I feel!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

TRO, you'll know I said this about Bruce, who I didn't think would get us to where we wanted to be (promoted). The thing with your comment there is that it's right, but then people keep wanting to cut the short term, er, short. So back to the argument I made about Bruce. I didn't think he'd get us up, I didn't rate him as a manager, BUT I kept saying (despite my personal view on him) he has to be given time - he has to have the chance to do his job in that Fulham play-off season. First season (not quite a full one) he improved the weaknesses we had but finished mid-table. Get rid? No. Give him the chance to do his work. Second season - play-offs, and again "Give him the chance". His last season, into his third year, that's when you start looking around if things aren't going the way they should be.

Now Dean Smith - came in, made an immediate, massive improvement, then there was a slump, then a great run and promotion. Clearly he's got something good going for him. Then we lost a large part of the squad and had to rebuild, in a rush, while finding ourselves in a much harder division. We started promisingly, but with clear weaknesses. We've since lost the spine of the side  - 'Keeper, McGinn and Wesley. So again, quickly bring in more unfamiliar faces, then all of a sudden these new people, not used to England, not used to their life here are put into isolation. It's a quite extraordinary set of circumstances to deal with. And it's only Villa has had to cope with all of that. No one else got promoted through the play-offs, not knowing if they'd be in the Prem, or lost so many players...And all with new owners also unfamiliar to the league and country.

Dean Smith is not the problem here. He might not be the solution to where we want to get to, or he might. Like you say get the short term right. That means giving him a decent chance to sort things out. It's a team thing - it's not just the manager or the coaches - it's recruiting staff, scouts, owners, all of them. He's not had a full season at the club either in the EFL or the Prem, and people are wanting rid. Each to their own, but that's complete short termism at its very worst IMO. No chance of a medium or long term if you don't give the short term a chance. You're right there.

Bruce was rightfully sacked for not getting us promoted and Smith should be sacked for failing to keep us in this league. We will lose key players who are vital for our progression as a club.

I don't want us to have a manager who only can do a job in the Championship. I want us to have a manager who can do both

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Bruce was rightfully sacked for not getting us promoted and Smith should be sacked for failing to keep us in this league. We will lose key players who are vital for our progression as a club.

I don't want us to have a manager who only can do a job in the Championship. I want us to have a manager who can do both

Then, we sack a manager for not getting us into too half. Then, sack a manager for not getting Europe. 

We have to walk before we can run, and in getting promoted, our legs were already moving too fast for our body.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Then, we sack a manager for not getting us into too half. Then, sack a manager for not getting Europe. 

We have to walk before we can run, and in getting promoted, our legs were already moving too fast for our body.

Absolute non sense.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Durham as much as he can be a right tool at times is bang on...we never press...always retreat...allow the opposition to sroll through the middle of the pitch....centre halfs always on 6 yard line...there were 9 villa players in the box when liverpool scored...you look at most of our goals conceeded....this happens most...if not all of the time.

Bang on....smith has not addressed this all season

Yep and the much marvelled stat about Mings' amount of blocks, it's because we continually just stand off and let people take pot shot after pot shot. No other club does that. Chelsea was an absolute shooting gallery.

• Like 2

Â