Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

What a changed man you are from Bruce to Smith. Wonder which column the next manager will be in. I hope for his sake he's in Brucie's column.

Who shares blame? Suso! As I've said a billion times.

The players are not good enough. They are not of the quality we needed. They were too expensive. That was his job.

Suso takes a big fat juicy portion of the blame along with Smith. He signed all the players TRO. Smith was busy coaching us to promotion so didn't have time to scout 10-15 players we needed. IMO the job this season was made unbelievably difficult by his incompetence.

In places, I'm seeing very little balance. It's just tantrums wanting Smith out applying no context.

The reason I say tantrums is because people are saying obviously incorrect stuff like we've bottled every lead we've had and Smith would purposely lose games if he thought it would keep him a job. Nincompoopery of the highest order.

I need to add this to my vocabulary.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

So what do we do next?.......sack suso, sign another duff DOF do the same again, Dean accept poor players and rinse &repeat.

We now have 2 people to blame......Manager & DOF 

I say leave the football matters to the manager, he just needs a chief scout to report to him, not  the other way around.

I have sympathy TRO but now we are recruiting from around the world it’s just not tenable for the manager to do all the recruitment 

There is an argument also that in this day and age, Managers should not be trusted with recruitment as they inevitably think short term whilst the club wants to look long term - not my idea TRO, just what is happening in the modern game.   

54 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ability to do what? Finish top 10? 15th?

Did you see a change in style last year from Bruce to Smith? I'd put that down to coaching.

I think it's a fair assumption that coaching has continued with these players.

But this time we're playing Liverpool and Man Utd, not Blackburn and Nottingham Forest.

Putting it all on Smith is wrong.

Trouble is at the start of the season you could see our game plan but it's got to the point where I cannot work out how we are trying to play and how we plan to win games which is essential. We just seem to try and not lose.

29 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So let’s just see if I’ve got this?

Steve Bruce was responsible for the make up of the squad when he was manager.

But Dean Smith Is not responsible for the make up of the squad now he is manager.

OK, fine.

Well hold on, that would depend on when Suso was appointed really.

Let's see...

Ah, OK. Exactly the same week as Smith.

So yes, what you say is correct. Bravo sir.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

So Luiz is getting better? But that can’t be down to Smith can it?

seriously though TRO if Smith goes at the end of the season then fair enough. If he doesn’t those “behind the scenes” will have seen something that other’s haven’t 

He presides over it so yes its down to him, every footballing thing under his stewardship is down to him....directly or indirectly he presides over it.

just like the improvement of Jack was down to the dedicated strength programming Bruce ordered for Jack.

Despite my comments, i will be sad to see HIM go......but I will not be sad to say goodbye to serial losing.......provided the men upstairs make the right move.

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Trouble is at the start of the season you could see our game plan but it's got to the point where I cannot work out how we are trying to play and how we plan to win games which is essential. We just seem to try and not lose.

I get the criticism - we did have a clearer game plan at the start of the season but it didnt work well enough so we’ve fiddled around with various changes and fixed some areas at the expense of others.

Add in the inevitable effect of confidence and a few injuries to key players and we are where we are.

4 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I have sympathy TRO but now we are recruiting from around the world it’s just not tenable for the manager to do all the recruitment 

There is an argument also that in this day and age, Managers should not be trusted with recruitment as they inevitably think short term whilst the club wants to look long term - not my idea TRO, just what is happening in the modern game.   

Despite comments to the contrary, i am not a dinosaur......but I am in favour of what works and i am clear when it don't.

The DOF is like Zonal marking, in the sense, there is an alternative.....it what works that counts.

This method we have employed hasn't worked for us, but is it the method or the man doing it?.......we tried it with Paddy Riley etc and it didn't work either.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

He presides over it so yes its down to him, every footballing thing under his stewardship is down to him....directly or indirectly he presides over it.

If you are saying that he is responsible for the tactics, the coaching and the motivation you are correct

If you are saying that he is directly or indirectly presiding over everything football related ‘Cloughie-style’ this is no longer the case

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Despite comments to the contrary, i am not a dinosaur......but I am in favour of what works and i am clear when it don't.

The DOF is like Zonal marking, in the sense, there is an alternative.....it what works that counts.

This method we have employed hasn't worked for us, but is it the method or the man doing it?.......we tried it with Paddy Riley etc and it didn't work either.

I don’t really like it either but with football so global and such a big money game it seems inevitable 

The DofF is of equal importance to the manager and You are right that we haven’t done it at all well so far. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

If you are saying that he is responsible for the tactics, the coaching and the motivation you are correct

If you are saying that he is directly or indirectly presiding over everything football related ‘Cloughie-style’ this is no longer the case

Maybe not exactly so......but my understanding is, he has the last say on new recruits.

Responsibility has to match authority and vice versa.

maybe we need to know more to be accurate in our assessment of who's who and who is responsible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Ability to do what? Finish top 10? 15th?

We could easily have 4 points or more than we do now, getting something out of Bournemouth x 2 and Watford is not out of the question with this team yet we failed to show up as we have done on so many occasions this season.

As it is we could easily find ourselves 4 points adrift by the time we play United. 

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

I've tried to explain this many times, he won't have it.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm afraid not. This is the way from now on.

We've stuffed it up with a crap DOF. Purslow's issue. Or the owners if they think the appointment of Suso is unforgivable, Purslow might go as well.

Work to do.

2 minutes ago, jim said:

We could easily have 4 points or more than we do now, getting something out of Bournemouth x 2 and Watford is not out of the question with this team yet we failed to show up as we have done on so many occasions this season.

As it is we could easily find ourselves 4 points adrift by the time we play United. 

If we had an average striker we'd have picked up 9 more points before Christmas IMO.

We had Wes falling over himself, holding up effing nothing, and clogging up every play he got involved in.

We had no alternative. Davis was injured. Squad was incomplete.

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

just like the improvement of Jack was down to the dedicated strength programming Bruce ordered for Jack.

Hmm.

Bruce should put Joelinton on one of them. And Shelvey. And Danny Rose.

They'd have three Jacks.

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What a changed man you are from Bruce to Smith. Wonder which column the next manager will be in. I hope for his sake he's in Brucie's column.

Who shares blame? Suso! As I've said a billion times.

The players are not good enough. They are not of the quality we needed. They were too expensive. That was his job.

Suso takes a big fat juicy portion of the blame along with Smith. He signed all the players TRO. Smith was busy coaching us to promotion so didn't have time to scout 10-15 players we needed. IMO the job this season was made unbelievably difficult by his incompetence.

In places, I'm seeing very little balance. It's just tantrums wanting Smith out applying no context.

The reason I say tantrums is because people are saying obviously incorrect stuff like we've bottled every lead we've had and Smith would purposely lose games if he thought it would keep him a job. Nincompoopery of the highest order.

But i seem to remember Dean saying he personally scouted Wes on several occasions and the club came out of the traps quick to sign him......I think we all thought, "early bird catches the worm"....and he was hyped as a catch.

I don't want Smith out, I want him to do what he was signed to do, win games....just enough to keep us up will do, for now.

if he can't, then the club has a decision to make.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Hmm.

Bruce should put Joelinton on one of them. And Shelvey. And Danny Rose.

They'd have three Jacks.

See......you have just done the very same thing you accuse me of......you strawman.

• Haha 1

It was not possible for Smith to scout Wesley as we wouldn't have paid 20 million for a Championship striker. The Belgian season was a long time over before we got promoted 

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

See......you have just done the very same thing you accuse me of......you strawman.

What's that?

I think the physio is still at Villa actually.

If Jack leaves, let's put all our players on the strength plan. Then we'll have a squad of £75m players.

Â