Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone advocating giving Sherwood another go here needs to get their head checked.

I'm serious. Lockdown has affected us all in different ways. It's hit a lot of people's mental health.

If you're having thoughts of giving Sherwood another job in football then please talk to someone, or call your GP and get an appointment.

Or it shows how desperate some have got with the thought of getting someone new into others job.

I fear for Villa myself even in the championship under Smith with this squad and without Grealish or Tammy, were screwed if we stay the course,we need change and as soon as were relegated.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

You’re of the opinion that the manager has no say in the players that come in, really?

I'm sure he can veto someone if he really doesn't want them yes. But you need to fill the holes in the squad. We needed a mighty amount of players of course.

Lampard would have had the same choices Smith was given.

It's no coincidence we ended up with Konsa and Engels who Smith knew already. I think Smith stepped in to offer alternatives where he knew of targets that would roughly fit the budget and were better than what was offered.

Perhaps Lampard would have come up with better players, I don't know. It would be nice if the director of football could sign some good ones on his own though. It's very easy to not sign bad players.

I'll be most rattled if Suso stays through the summer.

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

You’re of the opinion that the manager has no say in the players that come in, really?

Its not that the manager has no say, its that he only has the information the scouts give him to base his decision on. There are no games in the summer anyway, but even if there were, you think the manager of any club is able to extensively scout 12 players all signed in about 5 weeks by himself? 

The scouts will come to him and say, there's this chap, they call him Trezeguet, he's a hero in Egypt, rapid, full of tricks, a work horse and absolutely ready for this league, here's his highlights reel. By the way Elmo rates him too, they'll form one hell of a partnership! 

This will happen with several players and they'll decide which one to go for as a team

The manager has a say, but ultimately whoever is scouting the players is responsible for the eventual signings 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, weedman said:

Its not that the manager has no say, its that he only has the information the scouts give him to base his decision on. There are no games in the summer anyway, but even if there were, you think the manager of any club is able to extensively scout 12 players all signed in about 5 weeks by himself? 

The scouts will come to him and say, there's this chap, they call him Trezeguet, he's a hero in Egypt, rapid, full of tricks, a work horse and absolutely ready for this league, here's his highlights reel. By the way Elmo rates him too, they'll form one hell of a partnership! 

This will happen with several players and they'll decide which one to go for as a team

The manager has a say, but ultimately whoever is scouting the players is responsible for the eventual signings 

can't possibly think where we went wrong then.....fool proof!!!

3 hours ago, grobs said:

I liked sherwood at villa and feel like he was dealt a rough hand. Would be happy for us to give him another chance 

you might get laughed out of town.....but then come the win ratio's with us.

• DS - 39.7%
  • TS- 35.24%

followed by the silence....

42 minutes ago, weedman said:

On one hand you say they'll decide as a team over several players and then say it's not Smith fault because he only has the info from the scouts?? But the scout is ultimately responsible. Do you realise how crazy that post is?! Even the scout in your post sound like he from the RAF in the 1940's, "There's this chap...., found him in Egypt. By the way here's his best bits". Jesus Christ, do not take up story telling lol. 

Managers and the DOF will still scout and watch several games over a long period before making decisions on players, including those recommended. Sometimes over several years. They will have extensive information on each individual on the clubs database gathered from several sources included the scouting team.  

I can understand with pointing the finger away from Smith and trying to blame others but when he came out and said he had been to see Wes, Trez and Nakamba etc in action. It seems to me that many people are coming up with any crap to deflect criticism away from him. Including blaming the scouts now.  

Lets just sack sack everyone. 

17 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

On one hand you say they'll decide as a team over several players and then say it's not Smith fault because he only has the info from the scouts?? But the scout is ultimately responsible. Do you realise how crazy that post is?! Even the scout in your post sound like he from the RAF in the 1940's, "There's this chap...., found him in Egypt. By the way here's his best bits". Jesus Christ, do not take up story telling lol. 

Managers and the DOF will still scout and watch several games over a long period before making decisions on players, including those recommended. Sometimes over several years. They will have extensive information on each individual on the clubs database gathered from several sources included the scouting team.  

I can understand with pointing the finger away from Smith and trying to blame others but when he came out and said he had been to see Wes, Trez and Nakamba etc in action. It seems to me that many people are coming up with any crap to deflect criticism away from him. Including blaming the scouts now.  

Lets just sack sack everyone.

Also aside our biggest issue this season has been our defence and most would say all of those players were Smith signings. Tbf our midfield has been pretty ropey but the mcginn injury and playing him out of position has been what caused that. Smith has finally moved mcginn into a position where he impacts the game and I'm telling you now that will be what will save our season. With a midfield trio of Luiz, mcginn and Grealish all playing well we can play anyone in the league and make it a close game except maybe City but as we have seen can take them on and lose due to poor refereeing.

We have proven time and time again this season when properly motivated we can play anyone and have a punchers chance of winning yet we are never motivated for the games we should be winning and we get spanked. Yet we show up for the Leicester twice in the league Cup, Liverpool twice and City in the league Cup, as well as united and Chelsea twice but against Watford, Bournemouth, southhampton and Newcastle we go out there and we get made to look like fools by rookie errors and lack of effort. From each of those teams I'm sure most of us would only take 1-3 players over our current lot yet we are in the relegation zone and we really shouldn't be.

Smith would have had to perform miracles to keep this squad up. And for a manager, new to the prem, that was always going to be difficult. 

Smith might well be a terrible manager but I just think we've made it hard to tell. I look at the keeper situation for half a season. I look at the strikers we've had and the partners ming has had to play with in defence and I honestly don't see how other managers would have made a massive difference. 

I'd give him till December next year. I think it will be interesting to see what the board do. Personally I feel they will stick with smith.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

you might get laughed out of town.....but then come the win ratio's with us.

• DS - 39.7%
  • TS- 35.24%

followed by the silence....

I’m no Sherwood fan... but Smith’s premier league win percentage is only 29.2% (compared to Sherwood’s 35.2% in the premier league with other people’s players).
Its up to a lofty 39% when including the Championship where we outspent everybody 😳

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone advocating giving Sherwood another go here needs to get their head checked.

I'm serious. Lockdown has affected us all in different ways. It's hit a lot of people's mental health.

If you're having thoughts of giving Sherwood another job in football then please talk to someone, or call your GP and get an appointment.

This is exactly the kind of ridiculous post I was referring to. But this board is all aboard this crap, so there's no sense in going through this discussion again. You guys hold your view about Sherwood, and that's fine. I stick to mine, like I always have. Tim didn't get a fair shot at all. Smith has had, and has failed.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Smith would have had to perform miracles to keep this squad up. And for a manager, new to the prem, that was always going to be difficult. 

Smith might well be a terrible manager but I just think we've made it hard to tell. I look at the keeper situation for half a season. I look at the strikers we've had and the partners ming has had to play with in defence and I honestly don't see how other managers would have made a massive difference. 

I'd give him till December next year. I think it will be interesting to see what the board do. Personally I feel they will stick with smith.

As much as I disagree with it i think you are right.

They would have sacked him by now. The board obviously see something in Dean that I just can't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

This is exactly the kind of ridiculous post I was referring to. But this board is all aboard this crap, so there's no sense in going through this discussion again. You guys hold your view about Sherwood, and that's fine. I stick to mine, like I always have. Tim didn't get a fair shot at all. Smith has had, and has failed.

Tim had a perfectly fair shot and he showed he was the worst manager we've had in my lifetime.

I wouldn't put him in charge of an ice cream van.

He's a shit manager and a total word removed.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jim said:

Agree.

Everyone harps on about Smith getting us promoted,  but Sherwood’s achievement keeping us up when we were dead and buried is equally as good imo. Plus he got us to a cup final. 

Is this the point we are at now with some. 

So desperate to criticise the current manager, that we now make up nonsense like this, which has no relevance, just to get an extra dig in. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Even with the squad we assembled? We started the season with Kodjia, Davis and Wesley as strikers..... in the Premier League. We also only have 2 wingers and one is terrible (Trez)

Yep. 

The group of strikers we assembled to keep us in this league have a combined 6 goals. 1 of them got 5 and he hasn't played since January. 

In goal, we switch between a panic loan signing and a keeper we've tried to replace 3 times. 

And people say things like they thought we'd finish 12th.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Tim had a perfectly fair shot and he showed he was the worst manager we've had in my lifetime.

I wouldn't put him in charge of an ice cream van.

He's a shit manager and a total word removed.

I remember arguing with you over sherwood. I defended him more than most. 

But the guy was clearly shit and any suggestion of having him back is **** madness. 

There is a reason he has been gifted 2 short term jobs and never been seen again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. 

The group of strikers we assembled to keep us in this league have a combined 6 goals. 1 of them got 5 and he hasn't played since January. 

In goal, we switch between a panic loan signing and a keeper we've tried to replace 3 times. 

And people say things like they thought we'd finish 12th.

The recruitment was a failure and Smith was a part of that process. So he has to share the blame.

• Like 1

Smith hasn't been sacked at this point because we're in the least ideal situation to sack a manager. With there being a game every few days, a new manager wouldn't have time to get his ideas across, and we'd be limited by who would want to come in our current predicament, so essentially it would be a choice between someone desperate for a job, or just sticking with Smith until the end of the season in the hope that he can somehow turn things around.

I am at a loss. How can some one so doing so badly keep their job, lose a fortune by being relegated and then if he is sacked get paid a bloody fortune in compensation. 

I keep hearing IF WE HAD BETTER PLAYERS. Well if we had better players then maybe you or I could be manager and get better results too. 

• Like 2

Â