Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Yep and the much marvelled stat about Mings' amount of blocks, it's because we continually just stand off and let people take pot shot after pot shot. No other club does that. Chelsea was an absolute shooting gallery.

Depending on last ditch blocking isn't a sustainable defending strategy. It's just last moment desperation and you won't pull it off every time.

We need to stop shots from happening in the first place. We need to prevent crosses.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yep and the much marvelled stat about Mings' amount of blocks, it's because we continually just stand off and let people take pot shot after pot shot. No other club does that. Chelsea was an absolute shooting gallery.

Chelsea shots v Aston villa - 18.

Chelsea shots v Watford - 20.

False.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Bruce was rightfully sacked for not getting us promoted and Smith should be sacked for failing to keep us in this league. We will lose key players who are vital for our progression as a club.

I don't want us to have a manager who only can do a job in the Championship. I want us to have a manager who can do both

Whoooosh!!!!!

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

So, just done some research on this from the 5 bottom teams average shots conceded since restart. Considering we are the only club that allows pot shot after pot shot. 

So, club, followed by average shots conceded per game:

Watford  - 14

Norwich - 13 (not including 37 shots against v man utd in the cup)

West ham - 12

Bournemouth - 11.25

Villa - 11.2

Look, criticise smith. I agree with alot of it. Don't make things up and pull things out thin air to criticise him with. That's not fair and it's a lie. I'm seeing a lot of these types of criticisms, like we've thrown away every single lead we've had this season. 

Some of this things Smith gets criticised for are spot on, some of them are just laughable. This one is laughable.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Although I agree, it's probably why we're both in the positions we are. 

I don't disagree, it was the lie that 'no other team does this' I have issue with.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, hippo said:

Yes if you distance yourself from the fact it's the club you support - the default stance is that relegation usually gets the manager the sack  - there's the odd exception - but that's the probable outcome - if we get radio silence after relegation is confirmed you know what's coming.

Exactly. Although, i think out of all 3, Howe keeps his job if he wants to stay. He may need to. His stock has fallen quite considerably.

18 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If he's acting as you've said which is to throw games so he keeps his job, I'm surprised you're not angrier to be honest. 

I'd be seething if someone was throwing games. I'd be calling the FA, calling the club. You should ring the papers with your story.

but you are off again, I didn't say that.

I said that to keep his job if we go down and get sacked if we stay up is arse about face to me.....that means he could just lose games and keep his job.....that was aimed at the clubs decision makers, not necessarily him.

no where did I say, thats what he is doing.

........you should be a politician.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This really is the long and short of it. People are acting like this is Smith's first season ever with us, and last season never happened. 

He presides over 48 games out 79 where we have failed to win, that includes last season......we are well aware of what happened last season and so do the people who compiled the stats.....his win ratio with us, is 39% even after three quarters of a promotion season.

I am really not sure, why you and others are surprised at the critics...... i have never known a manager survive that, in my experience watching Villa.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

He presides over 48 games out 79 where we have failed to win, that includes last season......we are well aware of what happened last season and so do the people who compiled the stats.....his win ratio with us, is 39% even after three quarters of a promotion season.

I am really not sure, why you and others are surprised at the critics...... i have never known a manager survive that, in my experience watching Villa.

Paul Lambert had less than 30 percent win ratio and lasted 3 seasons and offered nothing and got less of the stick Smith is getting 

10 hours ago, blandy said:

TRO, you'll know I said this about Bruce, who I didn't think would get us to where we wanted to be (promoted). The thing with your comment there is that it's right, but then people keep wanting to cut the short term, er, short. So back to the argument I made about Bruce. I didn't think he'd get us up, I didn't rate him as a manager, BUT I kept saying (despite my personal view on him) he has to be given time - he has to have the chance to do his job in that Fulham play-off season. First season (not quite a full one) he improved the weaknesses we had but finished mid-table. Get rid? No. Give him the chance to do his work. Second season - play-offs, and again "Give him the chance". His last season, into his third year, that's when you start looking around if things aren't going the way they should be.

Now Dean Smith - came in, made an immediate, massive improvement, then there was a slump, then a great run and promotion. Clearly he's got something good going for him. Then we lost a large part of the squad and had to rebuild, in a rush, while finding ourselves in a much harder division. We started promisingly, but with clear weaknesses. We've since lost the spine of the side  - 'Keeper, McGinn and Wesley. So again, quickly bring in more unfamiliar faces, then all of a sudden these new people, not used to England, not used to their life here are put into isolation. It's a quite extraordinary set of circumstances to deal with. And it's only Villa has had to cope with all of that. No one else got promoted through the play-offs, not knowing if they'd be in the Prem, or lost so many players...And all with new owners also unfamiliar to the league and country.

Dean Smith is not the problem here. He might not be the solution to where we want to get to, or he might. Like you say get the short term right. That means giving him a decent chance to sort things out. It's a team thing - it's not just the manager or the coaches - it's recruiting staff, scouts, owners, all of them. He's not had a full season at the club either in the EFL or the Prem, and people are wanting rid. Each to their own, but that's complete short termism at its very worst IMO. No chance of a medium or long term if you don't give the short term a chance. You're right there.

Good post Pete, and much I agree with....but you or I have not got a monopoly on whats right.

This mirrors the opinions of some fans who wanted Lambert to stay despite his win ratio with us of 29% ,some  folk had sympathy with Remi  Garde and RDM....all had mitigating claims.

I think you are right, there are questions, all over the club....but managers are usually the ones who take the blame.....while that may appear not fair, its hard to see an alternative, hence why some us look for a hard nosed, guy, in the role.

I get the argument for time, but something needs to be seen in that time, I agree with what you say about Bruce.....during those 11 games it was time up, despite a difficult summer where Thierry Henry was linked with his job and the Owner ran back down the silk rd, back home and left a young kid holding the baby.

I understand, the argument of new faces from abroad....you could say the club went up, but the new team didn't with so many new faces, who never got promotion and more importantly never played premier league football......we trusted the club to get it right....we were excited at first and why not, you expect them to buy well, you expect them to know what they are doing....This team sadly has got gradually worse in terms of results, despite some folk claiming time to gel....watching the games, i was never convinced that would happen.....I saw things through the season, I have seen in the past and it tells me it doesnt play out well.

I cannot agree with Dean being given a free pass, he has to shoulder some responsibility, just like Bruce had to and the managers before him.

They are given an opportunity when the club appoints them and they know, its a results business.....Dean has already said on a podcast, he is not really a results man, more of a performance man.....He also said The team mirrors the manager, glean from that what you will...it does not fill me with glee.

I don't get the vibe from many folk at Villa that they operate with conviction and that finds its way on to the pitch.

I see things that do not surprise me that he has only won 31games out of 79 despite promotion.

I will concede, I have no more claim to be right to sacking him as keeping him and time is a typical shout from all managers.....my suspicion is, they will keep him, irrespective of our final position.

we will see if that is the right call.

Edited by TRO

If we go down or stay up he has to go, should have been sacked in January and the signings we made in jan was a joke, Wesley was injured before the transfer window and we played I think 6 games with no recognised striker - shambles all around!

3 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

If we go down or stay up he has to go, should have been sacked in January and the signings we made in jan was a joke, Wesley was injured before the transfer window and we played I think 6 games with no recognised striker - shambles all around!

I think it's tough to sack him on that basis unless he explicitly turned down strikers. I'd suggest that is more a failing of the collective group. If you're sacking him, it should be linked to results and performances and that you dont believe he is the man to turn it around.

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think it's tough to sack him on that basis unless he explicitly turned down strikers. I'd suggest that is more a failing of the collective group. If you're sacking him, it should be linked to results and performances and that you dont believe he is the man to turn it around.

It won’t just be on that, the whole season has been a joke from start to now 

Our squad is already worse than last season squad and it will get even worse when Jack, Luiz and McGinn goes.

If the recruitment next season is another failure we ain't getting promoted. Not a chance.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, cheltenham_villa said:

Where did you expect us to finish and what was your target?

I didn’t expect to be relegated that’s for sure, I had us down between 12-15

• Like 1

Just now, rbcuk said:

I didn’t expect to be relegated that’s for sure, I had us down between 12-15

In which case your right, well below par. I thought wed be down there, spending most of the season in the bottom 3 so results wise I got what I expected. I'm more disappointed by the performances, I can deal with losing, i like attacking football and an attacking intent.

Â