Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I am at a loss. How can some one so doing so badly keep their job, lose a fortune by being relegated and then if he is sacked get paid a bloody fortune in compensation. 

You must be new to football. 

We hope he can turn things around ??. If Angel Gabriel was sat on his shoulder he still wont keep us up. But IF a miracle happens and we stay up, it will be because others have done worse not that he has saved us. I cant wait until the end of the season now

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The recruitment was a failure and Smith was a part of that process. So he has to share the blame.

I think we'll see how involved he was by if he stays or not. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I remember arguing with you over sherwood. I defended him more than most. 

But the guy was clearly shit and any suggestion of having him back is **** madness. 

There is a reason he has been gifted 2 short term jobs and never been seen again.

You might not think it but I defended him longer than most too. I didn't want him and I think he was awful but I defended him while he was in the job longer than a lot of VillaTalkers.

But it's clearer now more than ever that the guy is a fraud.

• Like 1

Just goes to show consistency is overrated.

Watford sacked 2 managers. West Ham sacked Pellegrini. Both looking like staying up.

Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich sticking with their man. All going down.

Consistency means nothing if your manager isn't competent enough.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we'll see how involved he was by if he stays or not. 

We kept hearing Maupay was too expensive yet we payed more for Wesley than Brighton payed for Maupay.

Very strange.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Watford sacked 2 managers. West Ham sacked Pellegrini. Both looking like staying up.

And will be just as shit and down there again next season, probably sacking more managers

**** that 

I don't enjoy the PL enough to do the shit that won't flush routine again 

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

We kept hearing Maupay was too expensive yet we payed more for Wesley than Brighton payed for Maupay.

Very strange.

By all accounts they quoted us a higher price than he was sold for and we obviously weren't willing to wait until the end of the window. 

One thing I can absolutely guarantee is Smiths role in the recruitment process will have very little to do with fees paid. 

Tactically he is a poor manager. He just does not know when to make a change at the right time. The formations are somewhat baffling at times. Yes he may have been dealt a bad hand but he is not 100% without blame for where we are. Smith would have has some input with Transfers. We said 17th at the start of the season but barring some miracle that looks just out of our grasp. 

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

By all accounts they quoted us a higher price than he was sold for and we obviously weren't willing to wait until the end of the window. 

One thing I can absolutely guarantee is Smiths role in the recruitment process will have very little to do with fees paid. 

In hindsight we shouldn't have released any of the older players and focused on Smith's main targets like Maupay, Benrahma etc.

Instead of panicking having to sign a whole new squad.

As much as people don't like to hear it we did ultimately end up doing a "Fulham".

Lesson learned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You must be new to football. 

I can go back to the days of Vic Crowe as manager, I struggle to remember some one else doing worse (not results, but team passion) We ran our socks off when we played Liverpool earlier in the season. Since then the passion has gone.   The leadership has gone. 

Pretty sure that most of our older players that we let go have retired because they couldn't find new clubs. Could be wrong but I think Adomah and Whelan are the only ones still playing, and Whelan's playing for Fleetwood. So that wouldn't have worked.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And will be just as shit and down there again next season, probably sacking more managers

**** that 

I don't enjoy the PL enough to do the shit that won't flush routine again 

Its all about staying up though isn't it and then at least have a chance to improve. 

5 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I can go back to the days of Vic Crowe as manager, I struggle to remember some one else doing worse (not results, but team passion) We ran our socks off when we played Liverpool earlier in the season. Since then the passion has gone.   The leadership has gone. 

Fair enough. I'm not quite 30 so have only ever known the days of big manager payouts when sacked and the rotating old boys club making a killing. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Pretty sure that most of our older players that we let go have retired because they couldn't find new clubs. Could be wrong but I think Adomah and Whelan are the only ones still playing, and Whelan's playing for Fleetwood.

Hutton and jedinak retired, Whelan went to Scotland got his contract ripped up and went to Fleetwood 

Chester you can make an argument but he was broken 

Elphick and de laet weren't good enough in the championship 

There's a lot of things we could and should have done differently but keeping these players isn't one of them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Its all about staying up though isn't it and then at least have a chance to improve. 

Is it though? 

I think yo-yoing gives us a better chance of improving then appointing someone like fat Sam with the remit of just stay up does

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Hutton and jedinak retired, Whelan went to Scotland got his contract ripped up and went to Fleetwood 

Chester you can make an argument but he was broken 

Elphick and de laet weren't good enough in the championship 

There's a lot of things we could and should have done differently but keeping these players isn't one of them

Keeping them means we could have focused on our main transfer targets instead of getting 4th and 5th choices.

There is no way Adomah is any worse than Trezeguet who we wasted a lot of money on.

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Keeping them means we could have focused on our main transfer targets instead of getting 4th and 5th choices.

There is no way Adomah is any worse than Trezeguet who we wasted a lot of money on.

Next you'll be saying we should have kept hogan so that we could have bought maupay 🙄

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is it though? 

I think yo-yoing gives us a better chance of improving then appointing someone like fat Sam with the remit of just stay up does

Fat Sam may have kept us up on a short term contract and then replace with yo-yoing. But too late now anyway

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Very strange.

Again, another naivety of those doing the recruitment. Got lured in by having a Brazilian Striker. His stats weren’t even that good in a far inferior league. It was madness.

Â