Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The problem is we didn't replace with any physical attributes to help at this level. 

Engels is just as slow as Chester IMO. Nakamba may be more athletic than Jedinak and Whelan but I think both of those are stronger and more physical than him. I genuinely think another year of jedinak would have been better than nakamba. 

Don't sign engels and nakamba and there's 20+ million for a Benrahma. 

Its all with hindsight but on reflection I think we made every bad decision we possibly could. 

We signed no experience in defence. No physicality in midfield and put together possibly one of the worst groups of strikers the prem has ever seen. 

Exactly.

Quality over quantity any day of the week.

Too many changes in a too short space of time, that was the mistake. 

But in all honesty. Do you think Adomah would do much worse than Trezeguet?

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villa4europe said:

Jedinak played 17 games in the championship last season and was just ok

He was not the answer

I don't think he is the answer. But I don't think him being in the squad over nakamba would have set us back. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

The problem is we didn't replace with any physical attributes to help at this level. 

Engels is just as slow as Chester IMO. Nakamba may be more athletic than Jedinak and Whelan but I think both of those are stronger and more physical than him. I genuinely think another year of jedinak would have been better than nakamba. 

Don't sign engels and nakamba and there's 20+ million for a Benrahma. 

Its all with hindsight but on reflection I think we made every bad decision we possibly could. 

We signed no experience in defence. No physicality in midfield and put together possibly one of the worst groups of strikers the prem has ever seen. 

Yeah signing other players than the ones we did is one thing, but expecting that our geriatric squad players would have offered anything on the pitch or anything off the pitch that Terry might have done is folly IMO.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Exactly.

Quality over quantity any day of the week.

Too many changes in a too short space of time, that was the mistake. 

But in all honesty. Do you think Adomah would do worse than Trezeguet?

Nope. Adomah would have looked just as out of their depth as he does. 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

All the more reason not to gamble on players that nobody has heard of or seen play then

”I needed a car quickly and didn’t have time to do much research so bought a second hand Ssangyong Musso“

but using your analogy, let's buy three expensive wheels for our car because we dont want four cheaper wheels.  You need four wheels, we probably didnt have the money for four expensive wheels and only three wouldve left us short.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We should have shipped out players like Lansbury and Taylor instead of Jedinak and Hutton.

Still leaves room for all the arrivals to arrive that have.

Equally, signing shite like Drinkwater doesn't help either. I would rather play Jedinak than that useless little clown.

Who is going to sign 40k a week Lansbury? Or 30k a week Taylor? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He was not the answer

Neither is Lansbury, but I would have sooner kept Jedinak around instead as he would again offer more experience than what Lansbury can.

Saying to keep Hutton and Jedinak over players like Taylor and Lansbury is not me saying they are going to play 36 PL games.

It's me saying they probably wouldn't have played anymore than what Lansbury and Taylor have all season.

I go back to my original post of the experience factor that they would have offered which would be better served than players like Taylor (who just looks to frightened to to be on a football pitch) and Lansbury (who has hamstrings like candyfloss) can offer.

My apologies if I am not getting my point across correctly.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He was not the answer

No. But Maupay and Benrahma certainly were.

By keeping the squad we could have focused on them and get them easy.

Should have signed Heaton, Targett, Luiz, Benrahma, Maupay. Nothing more. + Mings, Hause and El Ghazi (although i don't count those 3 as signings)

Edited by villalad21

Inexperienced manager and players is why we are going down.

Jack as captain hasn't worked, enough pressure on him as it is plus signing all these unknowns and expecting them to perform has heaped pressure on them. 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but using your analogy, let's buy three expensive wheels for our car because we dont want four cheaper wheels.  You need four wheels, we probably didnt have the money for four expensive wheels and only three wouldve left us short.  

I guess in that analogy. You buy 3 expensive wheels and keep one of the shit ones that might last just a little longer. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think he is the answer. But I don't think him being in the squad over nakamba would have set us back. 

Player who wasn't good enough to start games in the championship would be better than a guy playing CL

Don't get me wrong Nakamba has been one of those hit hardest by the confidence issues and has largely been shit but in terms of scouting and squad building last summer it's not hard to see why we did what we did

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Neither is Lansbury, but I would have sooner kept Jedinak around instead as he would again offer more experience than what Lansbury can.

Saying to keep Hutton and Jedinak over players like Taylor and Lansbury is not me saying they are going to play 36 PL games.

It's me saying the wouldn't have probably played any ore than what Lansbury and Taylor have all season and so I go back to my original post of the experience factor. We lack it.

People are really underestimating the value of having a player like Jedinak in both boxes on set pieces. An area we've massively struggled all season.

And also i do miss that great beard of his.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

No. But Maupay and Benrahma certainly were.

By keeping the squad we could have focused on them and get them easy.

Should have signed Heaton, Targett, Luiz, Benrahma, Maupay. Nothing more. + Mings, Hause and El Ghazi (although i don't count those 3 as signings)

But like I said, great we have Benrahma out wide but we have Whelan and Jedinak in midfield, that does not make us a better team

The players we let go were not good enough 

The players we bought in are not good enough either but that doesn't mean that letting the older players go was the mistake, buying nakamba rather than a 28 year old with PL experience was the mistake 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Player who wasn't good enough to start games in the championship would be better than a guy playing CL

Don't get me wrong Nakamba has been one of those hit hardest by the confidence issues and has largely been shit but in terms of scouting and squad building last summer it's not hard to see why we did what we did

plenty of players who have played in the CL who are not good enough for the prem. 

Agree with the second paragraph. This is all hindsight. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s not about expensive or saving money as we proved the money was there. We just went for a bunch of expensive risks that didn’t pay off. The suggestion is Smith rubber stamped them based on someone else having a bit of a look at them. Smith probably has extensive knowledge of thousands of players in England but took several punts on overseas players from inferior leagues in the hope they might be up to it.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But like I said, great we have Benrahma out wide but we have Whelan and Jedinak in midfield, that does not make us a better team

The players we let go were not good enough 

The players we bought in are not good enough either but that doesn't mean that letting the older players go was the mistake, buying nakamba rather than a 28 year old with PL experience was the mistake 

No. Jack, McGinn and Luiz could have been our midfield.

Benrahma,  Adomah and Maupay as our front three would be so much better than our current front three. So much better.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The recruitment was a failure and Smith was a part of that process. So he has to share the blame.

I don't see the leadership qualities to turn things around.....i just see much of the same moving forward.

We are bringing new players in to a camp with no leadership anywhere, we will just end up getting the same results.....the underlying mood of this group is passive and second rate, mediocrity thrives and multiplies, failure is a bed partner to all this and a breeding ground for more of the same.

I just do not see a way out other than radical change of heart and vision.

I really don't think they can see the woods for the trees.

Â