Dean Smith

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Likely to be no grealish , mings , mcginn , Tammy and axel from that team though 

Yeah Tammy was a massive massive army in his own, absolute destroyer at that level.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is an article in the Sun today talking about arsenal.....it goes on to say there is only one club worse than  them in the league for conceding from set pieces, excluding penalties....Aston Villa .....it goes on to blame, no organisers or leaders in the squad,as being a fundamental problem........fundamental, if you don't mind, not complex or anything like that......basic.....it is scandalous......for both of us.

Now to me and I suspect many other fans.....this has been the case for some time....going unchecked....its so blindingly obvious, its vexing.

We supposed to have professional people running things and football people building a team.....yet we have fundamental flaws that most fans can see clearly.

We have symptomatic euphemisms and excuses to fill a cement mixer.....its time for some truisms and sensible admissions, that the club has got things horribly wrong. this acceptance of being ok to go down, is grossly defeatist and a sad indictment of some of our fan base......We entered this season with doubt, due in the main, for having not enough leaders and organisers in the squad....it was obvious to the discerning eye.

when strangers can see our flaws, its about time we took off those rose tinted glasses and engaged in the real issues that haunt us......surely a sensible debate can be had without anyone thinking the critics are anything other than grossly  disappointed.

Even more so when the head coach and his assistant were both defenders 

We needed to sign players last summer  with more Premier League experience. Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Guilbert, Konsa, Hause, Luiz, Nakamba, Wesley, Davis, Samatta, Hourihane, Jota, McGinn all had no PL experience and are mostly either pretty young or new to the country, or both. 

Most of them have played lots of games this season so it is hardly any wonder we are where we are. It's OK having inexperience if you are a very decent player but we averaged circa £10m signings and these days it's peanuts. 

Whoever made the decision to go with inexperience, they are the ones to blame for our plight. 

We should have tried to bring Cahill back to add experience to the defence. We should have signed more experienced CM's and at least one striker who knew the league well. 

• Like 2

Am I happy with where we are, of course not. Do I think Smith is at fault, Yes I do along with others. Will I still back him until he is no longer manager of our football club. Yes 100%

• Like 1

If you'd have said to any of us last summer that the likes of Hause, Hourihane, Davis, Elmohamady, and Nyland would be getting regular game time I think we would have wondered what was going on.

• Like 3

Has he lost the dressing room I wonder as we show no desire or work rate and that’s what’s disappointing most with our performances along with repeating the same errors again and again ...

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

We needed to sign players last summer  with more Premier League experience. Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Guilbert, Konsa, Hause, Luiz, Nakamba, Wesley, Davis, Samatta, Hourihane, Jota, McGinn all had no PL experience and are mostly either pretty young or new to the country, or both. 

Most of them have played lots of games this season so it is hardly any wonder we are where we are. It's OK having inexperience if you are a very decent player but we averaged circa £10m signings and these days it's peanuts. 

Whoever made the decision to go with inexperience, they are the ones to blame for our plight. 

We should have tried to bring Cahill back to add experience to the defence. We should have signed more experienced CM's and at least one striker who knew the league well. 

I do think that most of those players who we signed will end up back somewhere near where we originally got them from.

They should be grateful for the chance they've been given by this club, I don't feel it though, I feel they have not put in what they got from there chance at the best league in the world.

We need to know who signed off for these players, it isn't fair to the fans not know where we can point the blame exactly, there's more secrecy at Villa than there is in this country's spy sector.

Inexperience is what has messed us up, I've a feeling and is just a feeling that Smith didn't get his men he wanted, that there is no unison between Smith and Audi that they are world apart in who is brought in..

Only the truth can set us free on all this I think.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

If you'd have said to any of us last summer that the likes of Hause, Hourihane, Davis, Elmohamady, and Nyland would be getting regular game time I think we would have wondered what was going on.

This is actually a good point and a damning indictment of our recruitment (notwithstanding injuries we’ve had).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

£10m is peanuts, that's why the players we bought with PL experience like Mings, who actually barely had any experience, cost £23m, Heaton who is in his 30s cost more than £10m, Targett cost about £14m, Luiz I guess you can say came from a PL team but cost £15m despite actually ever playing a game.  How much money would we have spent buying other PL players?  Cahill is such a red herring and I get fed up every time he is brought into the conversation, just because he played for us for a bit doesn't hide the fact that an established team from basically down the road offered him money that would probably have made him our highest paid player, he was 33 and barely played in a year, he's not even a Brummie so I doubt he actually has that much affection for us given O'Neill scrapped him so early in his career.

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

This is actually a good point and a damning indictment of our recruitment (notwithstanding injuries we’ve had).

Its a very good point. 

Look at the team yesterday. In goal, we have a guy, who smith tried to replace the first chance he got. 

We have a back up cb starting at rb and a back up lb starting at cb. Hourihane, who should be a squad player, in midfield and a kid who was playing non league 4 years ago, starting up front. 

Their keeper cost £75 million. 

And smith is a disaster because we didn't go toe to toe with them. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Even more so when the head coach and his assistant were both defenders 

Eastie, I smell a rat.

something is not right, behind the scenes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And smith is a disaster because we didn't go toe to toe with them. 

No, he's a disaster because his team can't even be organised enough to take affective throw ins, free kicks or corners. Basic training ground stuff. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Has he lost the dressing room I wonder as we show no desire or work rate and that’s what’s disappointing most with our performances along with repeating the same errors again and again ...

Hardly surprising. We put in truly abject lacklustre performances and he comes out and he tells us we worked them really hard

35 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think its more to do with character than inexperience......its not too old or too young, its can they cut the mustard and invariably, they can't.

Just on the £10 mill being peanuts......John Egan and Chris Basham cost next to nothing and there are cases like this all through the division.....crikey Kompany only cost 7 mill for Man city....just as a couple of examples.....not  to mention Vardy and Mahrez...ings at 18 mill....give me strength.

Most good managers could build a good team with £140 mill, yes even in the Prem.

Arsenal have similar problems to us and they have spent massive money on some of their players, but not bought the right ones to build a complete team.

The way we go.....we could spend £500 million and still get it wrong.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Our guys were not showing for the throw-ins yesterday. I thought that was strange and possibly indicative of the fact that no one wants to take responsibility.

That was a not a team fighting for survival - it was a bunch of players Some who played like they couldn’t give a toss and half of them know they will get a big money move elsewhere should we drop . 
it was a dire gutless display . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

I think it comes down to character and leadership on the pitch. I don’t think we have much of either in abundance.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Our guys were not showing for the throw-ins yesterday. I thought that was strange and possibly indicative of the fact that no one wants to take responsibility.

This has been a Villa staple for as long as I can remember. At best we manage one or two touches before we lose the ball after a throw in.

Part of it this season might be that our players rather have a bit of respite to catch their breath rather than try and start something quick since we have to chase the ball so much, but not showing for the ball is as Villa as WDFAFC.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

No, he's a disaster because his team can't even be organised enough to take affective throw ins, free kicks or corners. Basic training ground stuff. 

All flaws worthy of criticism. 

To call him a disaster is just laughably over the top. 

• Like 1

Â