Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Club record winning streak to win promotion a year before most expected. 

A cup final

3 points off survival.

Yeah, I can see why he's done nothing to earn 1 full season at his job. 

Its just utter nonsense 

Let's rephrase these things:

• Club record winning streak in the Championship after winning just 2 games in 13 prior to that and getting his best player back
  • Beating Wolves, Liverpool and Brighton under 18s teams along the way and fluking past Leicester thanks to a one off performance from his reserve goalkeeper
  • 3 points off survival with a much tougher run in than all the teams around us
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Brighton did a very good impression of a team battling to avoid the drop the weekend!  Lots of fans are labelled fickle  , and most fans would not have awarded a manager so much time. The project has failed  we wont finish 17th unfortunately were simply not good enough the table dosnt lie and the stats are bleak. The task now is to rebuild (YES AGAIN) the whole structure inside the club from top to bottom.   

Sorry, I forgot the season is already over and we haven’t got 8 games left 🤣

Apparently the suggestion back in February was a £20m wage cap  for the championship,when we were first down there the last time Agbonlahor and Richards between them were probably on three quarters of that, add in the likes of Henri, McCormack, and Hogan and most of that £20m limit would have gone on them alone. Would just mean having to give playes a bigger percentage of the transfer money, so ultimately all that it would do is just drive the transfer fees up, unless they put a cap on those as well.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

• Club record winning streak in the Championship after winning just 2 games in 13 prior to that and getting his best player back
  • Beating Wolves, Liverpool and Brighton under 18s teams along the way and fluking past Leicester thanks to a one off performance from his reserve goalkeeper

1 point off survival, who knows what GD will be at end of season, it’s close at the moment. Plus if you argue it’s still two.  A win is 3 points!

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

1 point off survival, who knows what GD will be at end of season, it’s close at the moment. Plus if you argue it’s still two.  A win is 3 points!

I admire your optimism - let’s hope weds gives us reason to be cheerful 

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, high profile names were desperate to join a team sitting 13th in the championship. 

Again, your expectations seem to be the problem.

Wolves appointed Nuno after finishing 15th, yes 15th, in the Championship the previous season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

And this is where it gets silly. If you can't give any  credit to the success then you've clearly got an agenda. 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Wolves appointed Nuno after finishing 15th, yes 15th, in the Championship the previous season.

We need to stop comparing ourselves to wolves. Mendes has played a significant role in developing that club. They are an exception not the norm. 

They signed Neves in the championship. Do you really think all championship clubs are capable of doing what they did? 

Edited by DCJonah

To survive we have to start beating the top half teams something we haven't been able to do all season, in fact we've only taken two points from the current top ten. If we are to stay up now it's going to take a miraculous turn around in form, and there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that that's going to happen unfortunately. So despite only being one point and goal difference from safety can see why people have such a gloomy outlooks on our prosepcts of staying up.

Leeds appointed Bielsa after finishing 13th in the championship. If we go down we can still get someone decent, doesn't have to be an household name that everyone knows, I bet hardly any Wolves' fans had heard of Nuno, someone who's had relative success in europe and wants a way into the premier league would take a job at an ambitious championship club.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

We need to stop comparing ourselves to wolves. Mendes has played a significant role in developing that club. They are an exception not the norm. 

They signed Neves in the championship. Do you really think all championship clubs are capable of doing what they did? 

I think WE are capable of it. Wolves were able to sign players of that calibre precisely because they appointed Nuno. Neves would not have gone there without the manager being there. And I constantly compare us with Wolves, because for years I've heard from fellow Villa fans that we can't accomplish anything playing in the Midlands. Wolves have completely turned that argument on its head. 

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes the George Mendes connection is the reason why they are were they are

25 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Reality  - or some interpret as being  fickle

46 minutes ago, sne said:

No way will they implement a hard wage cap from one season to another. It just would not work unless the cap is so high it would be pointless anyway.

If there is one it will be a gradual one spread over at least 3 seasons. And it wont be already for next season. 

I don't see it happening at all unless they make the PL a closed league. The PL will not allow something that forces them to have a 90% relegation wage drop in all contracts. No players would sign those and the quality and attractiveness of the PL would drop.

Easiest thing would be that any players you sign after you are relegated are subject to wage cap.

29 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think WE are capable of it. Wolves were able to sign players of that calibre precisely because they appointed Nuno. Neves would not have gone there without the manager being there. And I constantly compare us with Wolves, because for years I've heard from fellow Villa fans that we can't accomplish anything playing in the Midlands. Wolves have completely turned that argument on its head. 

But then its not the clubs fault if they can't match YOUR expectations. 

You think we are capable of it, not sure on what basis. Wolves have done an incredible job. 

I said it earlier, us not being happy because we aren't matching Wolves, would be like mid table teams unhappy they didn't challenge for the title when Leicester won it. These teams are exceptions, not the norm. 

Â