Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I like Dean and I hold my hands up as I was one of the first to say that he would be a good choice of manager for Villa, based on Brentford's style of play and the fact that he was decent guy who loved Villa.

Sadly I have to say that Dean has come up short, and has found the job of Villa manager too big for him. I could list things that he has failed to come to grips with, but that would be a waste of time as they have been repeatedly highlighted on this forum.

Suso is equally culpable of failing to understand the demands of the Premier League with the players he's scouted and signed.

We are probably going to be relegated due to our lack of Premier League knowledge and experience which is really disappointing. "Luck" is now the only chance we have of avoiding the drop.

We have to learn from this bizarre season, or we will be perpetually trapped in a cycle of brief excitement and prolonged frustration. 

I actually enjoyed most of our time in the Championship, and as we are nowhere near ready to compete in the PL, I shall support whatever next season brings.

Very good post Brian , hope you are keeping well mate 👍

• Like 1

We are quite lucky theres no fans at the game. Itd be toxic judging by the comments here. 

I think Smith has done a poor job.

I think the purchases we made are poorer.

I think the application of some of the players yesterday, and over a lot of the season has been very poor.

Blame smith by all means, i am increasingly, but looking towards the championship next season hes part of the problem this season, not all the problem. 

• Like 2

I thought he turned us into the best team in the Championship by the end of last season and I don't see why he wouldn't again next season.  It then depends on whether you think getting relegated is a sackable offence in itself, regardless of what we might need to do next year.  I'd stick with him if it were my decision.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

OK, let's just give Dean 10 more years. I'm sure he'll get it right eventually 🤦‍♂️

Haha you just keep going to extremes. No one has ever said that. You're now arguing with yourself. 

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

How about, `That was fu@king unacceptable. Anyone playing like that in our next game will get my toe up his arse.''

He could have said that behind closed doors. Although I don’t that’s his style. As I said earlier, that’s probably his problem, too nice. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

To just say change it, doesn't mean it would have worked. 

No but to try change an outcome is a sure good way to start, trying something new you don't know the outcome but that's just it, the trying to change a game just isn't there or at least no one is seeing it.

If we of changed shape to a more defensive formation and had more body's at the back, if we had of had more guys charging players down it may of given us windows here and there for some fresh air.

We are being made to feel like we're forced into a tiny cave where the cave feels like its shrinking and shrinking, that there is no way out apart from little tiny holes to crawl through. Thing is no one wants to try go through those holes to reach the outside instead they all want to just cramp up together and make breathing impossible. The crazy thing with the cave it's not the cave thats shrinking, really we are are the ones inside the cave making our space feel claustrophobic.

Comes a time when you can see how much a team is making things tougher for themselves and we most certainly are accomplishing that with style.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I thought he turned us into the best team in the Championship by the end of last season and I don't see why he wouldn't again next season.  It then depends on whether you think getting relegated is a sackable offence in itself, regardless of what we might need to do next year.  I'd stick with him if it were my decision.

And how did he do without Jack in the team? Was it 2 wins in 12?

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Wolves appointed Nuno after finishing 15th, yes 15th, in the Championship the previous season.

Wolves are a totally different kettle of fish. No one can do what they have without a super agent being heavily involved. They aren't a traditionally run club.

I think WE are capable of it.

Not without a super agent we aren't. If we can find one, no problem.

Wolves were able to sign players of that calibre precisely because they appointed Nuno.

No they weren't. It was Mendes.

Neves would not have gone there without the manager being there.

Yes he would. Mendes would have said that's where you're going, pack your bags.

And I constantly compare us with Wolves, because for years I've heard from fellow Villa fans that we can't accomplish anything playing in the Midlands. Wolves have completely turned that argument on its head. 

Jorge Mendes has turned it on its head. Wolves happened to be the club lucky enough where that link was made.

It wasn't through being good on the pitch prior, or having a good academy, or buying well. It was all Mendes. Without him no Nuno, Neves, Boly, Moutinho etc etc.

Would have been great if it was us for sure, don't dispute that. Be great if we could **** Suso off and get a decent agent in so we stopped buying terrible players.

You're mistaken if you think this was possible without an agent moving players freely around for a fraction of their actual value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, high profile names were desperate to join a team sitting 13th in the championship. 

Again, your expectations seem to be the problem.

Funny you should say that but Bielsa joined leeds 2018 right?  Leeds previous season is where they were sitting 13th in the championship In 2017, so its not impossible to bring someone decent in, its money that helps that out a lot more.

• Like 1

There's no point in Smith gettng us promoted if he's then not going to be good enough for the premier league, I know people will say that we can let him get us promoted and then we can make a change, but it never works like that no clubs fires a manager in pre-season that has got them promoted. We have to think more long term, need a manager that will both bring us up and have the ability to do well with us in the premier league.

At this stage now I think he might leave regardless of what happens, our owners won't be sentimental, they will want a manager that has shown a lot more than Smith has shown this season. IF we do manage to somehow stay up, then even if he keeps his job I think he'll be expected to show signs that he can improve us, otherwise he will go early next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wolves are a totally different kettle of fish. No one can do what they have without a super agent being heavily involved. They aren't a traditionally run club.

Not without a super agent we aren't. If we can find one, no problem.

No they weren't. It was Mendes.

Yes he would. Mendes would have said that's where you're going, pack your bags.

Jorge Mendes has turned it on its head. Wolves happened to be the club lucky enough where that link was made.

It wasn't through being good on the pitch prior, or having a good academy, or buying well. It was all Mendes. Without him no Nuno, Neves, Boly, Moutinho etc etc.

Would have been great if it was us for sure, don't dispute that. Be great if we could **** Suso off and get a decent agent in so we stopped buying terrible players.

You're mistaken if you think this was possible without an agent moving players freely around for a fraction of their actual value.

Mendes has been there since summer 2016 and in the first transfer window they signed 12 players and most of them were dross. Nuno was there the following summer and their signings noticeably improved. 

If you even speak to Wolves fans who know more about their club than us, they would say Nuno has been a key factor in getting some of those players over the line as those players wanted to go and play for him.

You're mistaken if you don't think bringing in a high-profile manager of that calibre helped attract some of the players they have.

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Likely to be no grealish , mings , mcginn , Tammy and axel from that team though 

40 minutes ago, useless said:

People over exaggerate the profile of the players that Mendes has brought to Wolves, especially when they were in the championship, most of them weren't getting games at their previous clubs, Neves had only played 626 minutes of league football for Porto, he wasn't injured as he was on the bench most game, Boly had only made seven league appearances for Porto in the last two seasons, Vinagre had only played for Monaco's youth team, Cavaleiro had only made thirteen appearances for Monaco in two seasons, Jota was the one tha was getting games at Porto on loan from Atlético Madrid, and it surprised me when they managed to sign him.

So it wasn't as if they were signing superstars, they managed to find a bunch of talented players that weren't getting much game time and improve them with good coaching from Nuno. If you imagine a scenario in which Mendes never went to Wolves, then most of them are players that we could have signed as championship club if we'd have had the wherewithall to do so, same for Newcastle.

I agree. Most of the players Wolves signed were very talented but unproven outside of their leagues with a lot of developing still to do, or players on the fringes of big clubs like Boly. What they have done is coached them properly and moulded them into a team. Pretty much every player they have signed has improved since going there, whereas pretty much every player that has come here has not. Says it all.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Funny you should say that but Bielsa joined leeds 2018 right?  Leeds previous season is where they were sitting 13th in the championship In 2017, so its not impossible to bring someone decent in, its money that helps that out a lot more.

Biesla is a name but he's not a proven premier league manager. We have no idea if he will succeed. He hasn't even managed to promote Leeds yet. 

It's not just those kind of players that Nuno has improved, the unfashionable names like Saiss, Douglas, Doherty, Coady, and Bennett all improved greatly under his management, so much so that four of those five have played there part in Wolves success in the premier league, before Nuno would never have guessed that any of them would become premier league players never mind become crucial players to a team challenging for Europe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

It's not just those kind of players that Nuno has improved, the unfashionable names like Saiss, Douglas, Doherty, Coady, and Bennett all improved greatly under his management, so much so that four of those five have played there part in Wolves success in the premier league, before Nuno would never have guessed that any of them would become premier league players never mind become crucial players to a team challenging for Europe.

Nuno seems to be an excellent manager. I'm not sure what the point is. He's doing and has done an excellent job.

Are we just naming managers better than smith? There are lots 

There is an article in the Sun today talking about arsenal.....it goes on to say there is only one club worse than  them in the league for conceding from set pieces, excluding penalties....Aston Villa .....it goes on to blame, no organisers or leaders in the squad,as being a fundamental problem........fundamental, if you don't mind, not complex or anything like that......basic.....it is scandalous......for both of us.

Now to me and I suspect many other fans.....this has been the case for some time....going unchecked....its so blindingly obvious, its vexing.

We supposed to have professional people running things and football people building a team.....yet we have fundamental flaws that most fans can see clearly.

We have symptomatic euphemisms and excuses to fill a cement mixer.....its time for some truisms and sensible admissions, that the club has got things horribly wrong. this acceptance of being ok to go down, is grossly defeatist and a sad indictment of some of our fan base......We entered this season with doubt, due in the main, for having not enough leaders and organisers in the squad....it was obvious to the discerning eye.

when strangers can see our flaws, its about time we took off those rose tinted glasses and engaged in the real issues that haunt us......surely a sensible debate can be had without anyone thinking the critics are anything other than grossly  disappointed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Mendes has been there since summer 2016 and in the first transfer window they signed 12 players and most of them were dross. Nuno was there the following summer and their signings noticeably improved. 

If you even speak to Wolves fans who know more about their club than us, they would say Nuno has been a key factor in getting some of those players over the line as those players wanted to go and play for him.

You're mistaken if you don't think bringing in a high-profile manager of that calibre helped attract some of the players they have.

And who brought Nuno to Wolves?

• Haha 1

Â