Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

It’s about the here and now though - one league win since New Year’s Day - worst defence in the league and poor performances - football is a ruthless game - poch was fired months after a champions league final ,  smith has had more than a fair crack at the whip and things are not improving at all - he must be judged on here and now not what happened last year 

But the argument was that he hasn't done anything to warrant being given time. I think he clearly has earned the right to have one full season. 

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No. It's you who speak utter nonsense. 

Finishing in the top 6 in the Championship in the minimum requirement expected. How you get there doesn't matter. 

A losing cup final is something i couldn't care less about.

You're talking like a Brentford or a Norwich fan. Loser mentality. We spent 100+ million in the summer to ensure we're not in this position. The very least we should expect is the team showing some fight and desire.

Haha brilliant stuff. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sheffield United didn't have the backing power we've had. Not even comparable bud.

Both Wilder and Howe managed to do what Smith failed to do at Brentford. Getting promoted with limited resources.

Haha what?

Didn't Bournemouth break all FFP rules in the year they got promoted?

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But the argument was that he hasn't done anything to warrant being given time. I think he clearly has earned the right to have one full season. 

My argument is that many clubs may have shown him the door sooner , I think he has been given longer than many clubs would have , he’s had 30 games and there is no sign of improvement . Personally I think had he gone in January he could have had little complaint .

had he been sacked in October I’d agree with you but I think he’s been given a fair chance 

Edited by Eastie

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No. Quantity would be like Lambert did. Shopping for peanuts in the lower leagues.

We spend some decent fees on players this summer.

Did we like who?  We are talking Premiership prices and players who would come to us.....Joelinton was 40m compared to Wes...Haller was 36m

Midfield, Iwobi was 27m, Sarr was 27m, Fornals was 25m....whereas we had Nakamba for 10m, Trez for 9m and El Ghazi for 8m

We needed quantity....so the price for one above average player we needed to spread over 2 or 3.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

My argument is that many clubs may have shown him the door sooner , I think he has been given longer than many clubs would have , he’s had 30 games and there is no sign of improvement . Personally I think had he gone in January he could have had little complaint .

had he been sacked in October I’d agree with you but I think he’s been given a fair chance 

I think the fact he hasn't, shows the club know deep down that just surviving is the best we could have hoped for this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He  may be happy Being a coach but he must deliver results - if he can’t do that  He shouldn’t be in the job 

Agree - what i meant was I don't see smith being shunted upstairs to DOF - I think we would rather be a coach elsewhere than accept a DOF role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Did we like who?  We are talking Premiership prices and players who would come to us.....Joelinton was 40m compared to Wes...Haller was 36m

Midfield, Iwobi was 27m, Sarr was 27m, Fornals was 25m....whereas we had Nakamba for 10m, Trez for 9m and El Ghazi for 8m

We needed quantity....so the price for one above average player we needed to spread over 2 or 3.

Someone made an excellent point in the pre match thread, that their keeper cost more than our entire starting 11. 

And yet Dean Smith is a terrible manager for not competing with them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha what?

Didn't Bournemouth break all FFP rules in the year they got promoted?

Stop being silly to support your narrative. 

Spent nothing compared to what we did while being down there. Peanuts in comparison.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

My argument is that many clubs may have shown him the door sooner , I think he has been given longer than many clubs would have , he’s had 30 games and there is no sign of improvement . Personally I think had he gone in January he could have had little complaint 

Really, I wouldve been fuming. Just got to a Cup Final on the 28th of January and in the league in January had won 2, draw 1 and lost 1 and sitting 16th in the league and been consistently outside the bottom three all season.  I wouldve been fuming!

• Thanks 1

Isn’t this where the scouting department should be doing their job ? There are players out there but we seem to struggle to get them 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Stop being silly to support your narrative. 

Spent nothing compared to what we did while being down there. Peanuts in comparison.

Haha you're brilliant. You're so angry about Smith that you are now getting confused with how you're dismissing him. 

You claimed Howe was able to do something with bournmouth that smith couldn't do with brentford. Nothing to do with us. 

This is nearly as funny as the time you criticised smith for starting grealish and making him captain. We won 4-0, grealish scored a wonder goal and we went on to break a club record winning streak. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think the fact he hasn't, shows the club know deep down that just surviving is the best we could have hoped for this season. 

Maybe purslow was too big to admit his mistake in handing him a new contract and then sacking him ? Let’s be clear all of this is not just on smith - purslow and Suso have both got be held accountable for the state of the playing squad too 

Really, I wouldve been fuming. Just got to a Cup Final on the 28th of January and in the league in January had won 2, draw 1 and lost 1 and sitting 16th in the league and been consistently outside the bottom three all season.  I wouldve been fuming!

People are starting to rewrite history. Like you say it would have been utter madness. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

Isn’t this where the scouting department should be doing their job ? There are players out there but we seem to struggle to get them 

Yes to spend what we spent and not have 1 player cut it - is poor recruitment. that said Jota and Konsa were most likley DS purchases - and don't look anywhere near it at this level

Just now, Eastie said:

Maybe purslow was too big to admit his mistake in handing him a new contract and then sacking him ? Let’s be clear all of this is not just on smith - purslow and Suso have both got be held accountable for the state of the playing squad too 

The state of our squad is an absolute disaster. 100% on quite a few people within the club. 

• Like 1

Like most clubs do......hopefully Samatta might be one of those, Guilbert with time....maybe Luiz with time.  It's rare that cheap gems hit the ground running these days because scouting networks are so sophisticated these days compared to the old days.  Everbody knows who everybody is.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

After the debacle at Watford I thought he may be gone - he has had more than enough time and not improved at all - if anything we have got worse as the season has gone along 

TBF - the new contract was agreed in principle shortly after promotion. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You claimed Howe was able to do something with bournmouth that smith couldn't do with brentford. Nothing to do with us. 

Nothing to do with us but absolutely something to do with Smith, who is supposed to establish us in the Premier League.

You cannot compare clubs like Bournemouth and Norwich to Villa yet i see people making those comparisons all the time.

Completely different run clubs. Different sized clubs. Different expectations.

But i'm sure you'll keep backing Smith till the very end. Watching it unfold as he is slowly turning us into Brentford.

Edited by villalad21

Â