Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Nothing to do with us but absolutely something to do with Smith, who is supposed to establish us in the Premier League.

You cannot compare clubs like Bournemouth and Norwich to Villa yet i see people making those comparisons all the time.

Completely different run clubs. Different sized clubs. Different expectations.

Nope. Not for this season. 

Just you and some other unrealistic fans. 

And your Bournemouth comparison still makes no sense. 

You wanted smith sacked last year. Your opinion means little on this matter. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

After the debacle at Watford I thought he may be gone - he has had more than enough time and not improved at all - if anything we have got worse as the season has gone along 

Until just before the lockdown  in late feb I never thought his job was in jeopardy at all and thought we were exactly where we thought we were going to be fighting for that 17th spot and a bonus (not bonus...more a distraction) of a cup final.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I didn't want him in the first place.

We need to appoint a high profile name who can handle the expectations of the club. Been saying it for years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Nope. Not for this season. 

Just you and some other unrealistic fans. 

And your Bournemouth comparison still makes no sense. 

Not just unrealistic fans though was it,  also the CEO 

Our ambition is to surprise people. Outside of Birmingham there will be people who don’t follow these things closely, who think we are just another promoted team, who will struggle and likely go straight back down. 

“No-one, not least me and (boss) Dean Smith, believes that is the case. I could not be more confident in the team. I think we are going to have a fantastic season.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2019/07/18/aston-villa-target-two-or-three-more-signings-with-summer-spree-set-to-continue/

•  

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not just unrealistic fans though was it,  also the CEO 

Our ambition is to surprise people. Outside of Birmingham there will be people who don’t follow these things closely, who think we are just another promoted team, who will struggle and likely go straight back down. 

“No-one, not least me and (boss) Dean Smith, believes that is the case. I could not be more confident in the team. I think we are going to have a fantastic season.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2019/07/18/aston-villa-target-two-or-three-more-signings-with-summer-spree-set-to-continue/

•  

We're just going round in circles. 

I wouldn't expect any different from a public statement, and if he really did and does believe this then why has he stuck with him. 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I didn't want him in the first place.

We need to appoint a high profile name who can handle the expectations of the club. Been saying it for years.

Yeah, high profile names were desperate to join a team sitting 13th in the championship. 

Again, your expectations seem to be the problem.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The state of our squad is an absolute disaster. 100% on quite a few people within the club. 

But you don't put the style of play or the manner in which we play, with zero aggression, motivation, graft on Smith. I think your just so into Smith being a Villa man it's blurring your judgement. You and I know anyone else and the banners would be out. He has either run out of ideas or lost control, which of it is it?

20 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Do not think for one minute he is going if relegated or staying up

Only 2 people will make that decision and if your neither Nas or Wes then yours is just an opinion like all others - even purslow is dispensable.

even the staunchest of opinions change with results .

remember levy giving poch a new deal to ward off other clubs after getting to a champions league final only to sack him months later .

managers are sacked on results and opinions change fast , no sentiment in football 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But you don't put the style of play or the manner in which we play, with zero aggression, motivation, graft on Smith. I think your just so into Smith being a Villa man it's blurring your judgement. You and I know anyone else and the banners would be out. He has either run out of ideas or lost control, which of it is it?

I couldn't give a shit about smith being a villa fan. Yes I would put a lot of that on the manager. I've never said he is blameless. 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Probably both 

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Until just before the lockdown  in late feb I never thought his job was in jeopardy at all and thought we were exactly where we thought we were going to be fighting for that 17th spot and a bonus (not bonus...more a distraction) of a cup final.

FFS lol....Fighting :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

Couldn't see that working. DS is happy being coach and doesn't want to step back from the training pitch. IMO should we go down - the feeling is that even if the big name players leave there isn't much required for us to be a force in the championship

Yeah thats what we thought last time and it took us three years to come up.  With a wage cap now in efl be even harder.

Going down would be a absolute disaster

• Thanks 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yeah thats what we thought last time and it took us three years to come up.  With a wage cap now in efl be even harder.

Going down would be a absolute disaster

Would a wage cap be in effect though or would it be Somewhat suspended for 12 months like ffp due to the circumstances 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Everyone on this forum would be happy to survive at 17th, no doubt. But the problem is, an I will repeat for some fans who ignore it. It's not the quality, it's the manner in which we are losing games. I don't follow stats really, but we must have lost more games from winning positions than any other team in the Prem and probably the Championship., we are breaking records again, like the Lambert days.

We have competed in some really difficult games, Tottenham, Liverpool without Grealish, Leicester cup game I could go on. The league game against Leicester,  just proves the vulnerability of the team. Leicester played no better, we were just not on our game, or seemed much interested. This is down to coaching and management, the team is not improving under Smith. If the quality ain't there that's fine, but there's no aggression, no motivation, no one seems interested. One of the only teams in the start up I have noticed going out half arsed. This is down to management. You can tell when the team are on it, cause to be fair we can give anyone a good game, we have seen it with the Liverpool game.

Norwich are a poor team and it shows, but you would not sack the manager, because you can see the motivation of the team. From what I have seen you can see they try every game they play, they are just not good enough. Smith was up in the stands yesterday watching the game, please tell me if i'm wrong, but I haven't seen any other managers up in the stands while the team just ships in goals and loses.

I agree - but were accused of being fickle if we have an opinion. No other club would have accepted this standard this season . 8 games to go we average.08 points per game  = 6 points 32 points not enough relegation . Stats dont lie  we could do something really different in the last 8 games but why would this be so dramatically different to the previous 30 games I cant see the evidence that anything will change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Club record winning streak to win promotion a year before most expected. 

A cup final

3 points off survival.

Yeah, I can see why he's done nothing to earn 1 full season at his job. 

Its just utter nonsense 

If we get relegated you can always say, ' oops, I was wrong there'. No different to Lambert in my opinion, you don't want him back do you?😱😱😱😱😱😱

VLD.

Wage cap hasn't been confirmed yet, and some of the reports I've seen only mention league one and two. Besides don't think it would be easy to enforce a wage cap on a team coming down from the premier league, so even if the Championship voted it in I think there would have to be some sort of exemption for relegated clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

So the Villa fans are looking to get rid of another manager, we havent even got through a full season with Dean yet with him coming in last season and getting us promoted and only 3/4 through this season with still a chance that we'll stay up.  No wonder we are labelled fickle fans, we never give anybody a real chance to manage this club.  Our target this season was always survival and we still have a great chance of that but no let's just give up now.  I'm as depressed as anybody on here but aiming for safety this season, we were always going to be bad for large parts of the season, we just have to be less bad than three others.  Until that final whistle happens we are still right in the mix of whether we are or arent.  Do we look like winning? No. Do our rivals look like winning? No....so just battle through these next 8 games and hope we can nick a win or two and then reassess as a group at the end of the season.

Brighton did a very good impression of a team battling to avoid the drop the weekend!  Lots of fans are labelled fickle  , and most fans would not have awarded a manager so much time. The project has failed  we wont finish 17th unfortunately were simply not good enough the table dosnt lie and the stats are bleak. The task now is to rebuild (YES AGAIN) the whole structure inside the club from top to bottom.   

• Like 1

No way will they implement a hard wage cap from one season to another. It just would not work unless the cap is so high it would be pointless anyway.

If there is one it will be a gradual one spread over at least 3 seasons. And it wont be already for next season. 

I don't see it happening at all unless they make the PL a closed league. The PL will not allow something that forces them to have a 90% relegation wage drop in all contracts. No players would sign those and the quality and attractiveness of the PL would drop.

• Like 1

Â