Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, hippo said:

Are you seriously you never heard the club mention those ideas before ?  - It seems to me all we have done is talk of such things ? 

I can’t remember hearing something from the club and thinking yes that sounds sincere and what we need to do.

I can only remember hearing things like we have to go back to where we belong and also  the dreaded Villa engine. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t remember hearing something from the club and thinking yes that sounds sincere and what we need to do.

I can only remember hearing things like we have to go back to where we belong and also  the dreaded Villa engine. 

What about Lerners 5 year plan ? - you didn't hear that one ?

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

What about Lerners 5 year plan ? - you didn't hear that one ?

I never heard any reference to having an identity and style of play. About what Villa would mean to people. About changing the culture of the club.

I just heard we had a 5 year plan to get in the champs league.  That was it.

Id post the interview with smith but I don’t know how to. It was in the express. 

It could end up being all talk like the rest of them but with the known pedigree of our new owners it feels different. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

In reference to @Vive_La_Villa we have heard our fair share of proposed plans if you will.

The 5 year plan, The signing of World Class players. Etc. But then that eventually ended in relrgation.

We then get our second owner  who had the ambitious "Playing in the top tiers of football again within 3 years" "Theme parks" and "The Villa Engine" - which of course in the end the wheels fell off.

And so here we are at owner number three and to be fair, many of us have heard a considerable amount of hope and ambitious proposals by the club over the last 12 or so years Vive, since Deadly sold up in 2006 but only to see the opposite happen unfortunately.

Many of us are a tad sceptical of hearing the promises etc. but nonetheless I get a feeling with these new owners that they mean business and are not here to mess around whilst going about things quietly so to speak while the club continues to head back in the right direction.

I was a bit suprised by the appointment of Dean Smith if I am honest but then again I remember what happened the last time Villa hired a manager from a lower ranked club who was also a Villa Fan.

I hope we have finally turned a corner.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

In reference to @Vive_La_Villa we have heard our fair share of proposed plans if you will.

The 5 year plan, The signing of World Class players. Etc. But then that eventually ended in relrgation.

We then get our second owner  who had the ambitious "Playing in the top tiers of football again within 3 years" "Theme parks" and "The Villa Engine" - which of course in the end the wheels fell off.

And so here we are at owner number three and to be fair, many of us have heard a considerable amount of hope and ambitious proposals by the club over the last 12 or so years Vive, since Deadly sold up in 2006 but only to see the opposite happen unfortunately.

Many of us are a tad sceptical of hearing the promises etc. but nonetheless I get a feeling with these new owners that they mean business and are not here to mess around whilst going about things quietly so to speak while the club continues to head back in the right direction.

I was a bit suprised by the appointment of Dean Smith if I am honest but then again I remember what happened the last time Villa hired a manager from a lower ranked club who was also a Villa Fan.

I hope we have finally turned a corner.

That’s just the thing. It was always far fetched statements. Never about the basics of sorting out an identity for the club. Going through short term pain for long term gain. 

I’m probably being naive but this time it feels different. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s just the thing. It was always far fetched statements. Never about the basics of sorting out an identity for the club. Going through short term pain for long term gain. 

I’m probably being naive but this time it feels different. 

What exactly is an identity ? how do we 'sort one out' 

As far as I know we always been Aston Villa ? 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

What exactly is an identity ? how do we 'sort one out' 

As far as I know we always been Aston Villa ? 

Win Every game and someone will create one.

• Like 1

Number 4 has always been my favourite number. This is game number 4 for Deano and his henchmen and I think tonight will be the first time we see the new, meaner Villa. 

Had this vision the other night of the scoreboard showing Aston Villa 5 Bolton Wanderers 0. 40-1 with some betting firms :flag:

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

What about Wyness's 3 phases.

• Team to get up
  • Team to consolidate
  • Team to kick on to Euro spot

That wasn't Wyness' 3 phases at all, you have it all wrong, brother.
It was :

• One pasty as an appetiser
  • One pasty as a meal
  • One pasty as desert
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

That wasn't Wyness' 3 phases at all, you have it all wrong, brother.
It was :

• One pasty as an appetiser
  • One pasty as a meal
  • One pasty as desert

Thought his nickname was twiggy due to his svelt shape.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

To be honest i have always wanted AV to develop an "identity", a lot of the "talk" by Purslow and DS make me more optimistic than i have been in a long time, even accounting for the fact it may take time, and there will undoubtedly be bumps in the road, i just hope we stick with it.

By "identity", i mean the club has a "style of play", regardless of who is in charge, for example a "passing/attacking" style, that is implemented and coached at all levels within AV (junior/U23/senior etc), if a coach is replaced, all it means is slightly different coaching methods, but the core principles and playing style stay the same.

Not comparing us to the following, but for example, clubs like Ajax, Barcelona etc are known for their "identity" or "style", as much as the club is known for its name in of itself, listening to Purslow he wants AV to develop a style that when you think AV, you think "good footballing side", and i hope we stick with it.

One major positive is, that we hopefully will be seeking players to suit the system, and regardless of who the manager or coach is, that remains, we still look for players to suit the identity and system, too many times with AV (and many clubs), a new coach or manager comes in and all the players get thrown out with the dish water, rather than a steady, developing style and identity where the whole club is dedicated to developing a style and identity, in this scenario we dont need to replace the whole 11 whenever someone new comes in as there isnt an argument by a new coach of "well i play long ball, these ball playing players are useless to me", its more "the club plays X style, i just need to develop it further".

I mean, looking at O'Leary, O'Neill, Houllier, McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo, Bruce etc etc, how many new ideas did those managers bring and just keep recycling players and play styles, no consistency.

In closing, im not saying we are Barcelona or Ajax, of course im not, but i only see positives in the ideas of Purslow and DS, the club developing an identity of possession based, attacking football, right down to the core, and having it run through the club, is a major positive to me, and even if it takes 2 years to develop and implement, i think the club will be better for it in the long term.

Also, ironically, looking at the win % stats Bruce is the most successful AV manager since Graham Taylor lol (45.1% win rate), but in the championship ofc......all others were Prem/Old 1st Division.....still think it was the right decision to get rid tho, i'm 100% behind the new regime and what they want to achieve (assuming they actually do what they say, and it isnt just empty talk), if i am typing here in 12 months and we are playing BruceBall ima gonna be MAAAAAD :P.

All this talk of identity is far too positive mate ;)  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

All this talk of identity is far too positive mate ;)  

Darn it, you're right!!!

SMITH OUT, SMITH OUT, WE LOST 2 OF THE LAST 3, ITS OVER, WE ARE DONE, LEAGUE 1 HERE WE COME, OMG ITS OVER!!!

that better?? :P

Â