Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

We had the ball for 68% of the game last night. We scored 0 - They scored 1.

Possession is pointless if you don't do anything with it.

We moved the ball around much quicker which is good but there wasn't much of a cutting edge and not sure we ever really looked like scoring.

We also gave the ball away an awful lot as a result of trying to play out from the back/move the ball quickly which should hopefully lessen as the players adapt and get used to they system and where they are supposed to be at all times.

The downside i guess is that we have gone from averaging 1.67 goals per game playing "defensive Bruceball" to averaging 0.67 goals per game playing more attacking possession based football..

Rome wasn't built in a day mate. Can't have it every way. We either want a proper run modern football club or just talk about wanting one but still demand instant success. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Rome wasn't built in a day mate. Can't have it every way. We either want a proper run modern football club or just talk about wanting one but still demand instant success. 

I know, but we were already scoring enough goals to win games with apparently no tactics or plan. A little disappointing i guess that we have only scored 2 goals in 3 games despite trying to play more of an attacking style, Especially as scoring goals was the only thing we were actually any good at under Bruce.

Not really having a go at Smith, I don't expect things to change overnight and liked some of what we were trying to do last night but i have the feeling it's going to be a long season waiting for things to click.

Edited by LakotaDakota

37 minutes ago, romavillan said:

ha, i get where you are coming from but if you have the ball, they can't score. 

Yet Dean Smith's Villa has been outscored by it's opposition. We need to do much, much more with the ball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm saying there's not much of a noticeable difference in playing style since Smith took over.

This isn't a criticism. More a reflection of how big a job Smith has on his hands. The change will come, but it will be a while before we see the results.

In my opinion.

If you think our playing style has noticeably changed then fair enough. Good for you. That's your opinion. It's not a fact.

That’s the way I see it. It’s not that much different to Bruce. But it will tame time. For me though he needs to try something new. For me I’d put Elmo back a5 rb and Hutton at lb and give bolaise a start against Bolton. 

El ghazi absent again means to me smith isn’t happy with him. I wouldn’t be surprised if this loan is terminated in January 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tumblerseven said:

Or maybe u making some odd comments whitch making u look like u overly critical? 

I agree with terrytini and i think alot of people perceived u like that.

In one comment u say its been a short amount of time. In other comment u sound like u expect BIG changes already. 

Guy made a point about how we move ball from the back and it worked.What was your responce? U said: How can it possibly have worked if we lost? 

I mean this is just nonsence! 

U picked some weird very simplistic positions and thats a fact and thats what confuses people. Because those weird nonsensical comments or positions making u look overly critical of Dean.

I think you are misreading my position.....if that's me, I apologise in advance, but it maybe you too.

What I said to Terry was I was struggling to see the improvement, he was seeing and some others too....is that a crime? or a falsehood? its just an honest admittance.

I was not expecting BIG changes, hence my comments, i was just commenting to those that did.

Maybe my comment was a  bit simplistic granted about moving the ball from the back.....but equally are you saying Bruce teams never did that?

I am not intending to be critical of Dean Smith at this stage and I have no expectation of doing so in the future, now that would be nonsense, when he has had no time to implement his thoughts.....but his name is Dean not Merlin....he has been in the job a "wet day"

If you choose to criticise me for making an honest claim, that I am struggling to see improvement of a quantifiable nature then fine, but let other folk speak for themselves, I'm sure they are big and ugly enough to make their own criticisms.

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

who on earth wants to go to a football match and watch centre halves play tikka takka?

do you know.....That's the best post I have read on here for ages.

12 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yet Dean Smith's Villa has been outscored by it's opposition. We need to do much, much more with the ball.

To be fair.....its still SB's team at this point.

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

who on earth wants to go to a football match and watch centre halves play tikka takka?

Who wants to watch a goalkeeper defence midfield and strikers play as separate entities which is essentially what was happening for the last few years. We are playing out from the back. Hardly revolutionary stuff. It's common sense and the right way to play.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Oooohhh, you need to get down to BMH and tell Dean Smith these things he doesn't know.

• Haha 1

Tro u keep telling people that they misinterpreting or misreading your postion. U had alot of disagrement yesterday with people some even called u a moaner.  If people around u saying similar things maybe those people are not the problem maybe some of your comments are problem. 

I have been reading  all of your comments from yesterday and today and u pretty reasonable guy with pretty reasonabe opinion but again some of the comments confused me and made u look overly critical.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Who wants to watch a goalkeeper defence midfield and strikers play as separate entities which is essentially what was happening for the last few years. We are playing out from the back. Hardly revolutionary stuff. It's common sense and the right way to play.

@screwdriver was convinced the Board just needed to back Bruce to the hilt for him to deliver us the Championship title.

Just sayin..... lol

34 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

We had the ball for 68% of the game last night. We scored 0 - They scored 1.

Possession is pointless if you don't do anything with it.

We moved the ball around much quicker which is good but there wasn't much of a cutting edge and not sure we ever really looked like scoring.

We also gave the ball away an awful lot as a result of trying to play out from the back/move the ball quickly which should hopefully lessen as the players adapt and get used to they system and where they are supposed to be at all times.

The downside i guess is that we have gone from averaging 1.67 goals per game playing "defensive Bruceball" to averaging 0.67 goals per game playing more attacking possession based football..

At the moment the sample size is not large enough to draw valid conclusions - start quoting average goals scored after 20 games in charge.

On the other side it’s too early to quote improved passing or possession stats, although it does seem clear to anyone who wishes to see that a new style is being implemented although a little raw yet

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Stevo985 mentions "confirmation bias" and that's an astute comment.

I've wanted Dean Smith to be our manager for a long time because of his philosophy and ability to transfer that philosophy on to the pitch on match days.

I fully accept that we are just taking baby steps at this very early stage of his management, but already I'm seeing the green shoots of a 'plan' rather than the previous 'kick and hope' that we've endured for so long.

It's what I want to see, so I'm obviously going to jump on any indication that we're making that change. Last night was exciting for me .... It was the glimmer of an oasis in what was an endless desert. It might still be a mirage, but I'm a believer in Dean Smith's methods so to me it's the first sighting of water, rather than the reflection of a piteous sun bouncing off these burning sands.

As Stevo says, it's currently no more than "confirmation bias" at the moment.  I'm happy to accept that for now, but I can't wait to welcome you all to sit in the shade of a palm tree with an iced drink when the Villa oasis is finally a fully formed fact. 

sorry VB....run out of likes today.

I think that is a pretty fair opinion.

and contrary to how some of my posts have been construed.....I too am looking forward to the renaissance.

Edited by TRO

18 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

At the moment the sample size is not large enough to draw valid conclusions - start quoting average goals scored after 20 games in charge.

On the other side it’s too early to quote improved passing or possession stats, although it does seem clear to anyone who wishes to see that a new style is being implemented although a little raw yet

A change in style is fine, if it works. Bruce-ball wasn't attractive, but it did get us close. Time will tell if DS improves us, but a change to a possession/playing from the back system doesn't really mean anything. He didn't exactly improve Brentford, albeit a different stature in club. 

I don't know how our transfer policy will work going forward, but I hope with a bigger budget than Brentford, it means he can take us back up.

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

A change in style is fine, if it works. Bruce-ball wasn't attractive, but it did get us close. Time will tell if DS improves us, but a change to a possession/playing from the back system doesn't really mean anything. He didn't exactly improve Brentford, albeit a different stature in club. 

I don't know how our transfer policy will work going forward, but I hope with a bigger budget than Brentford, it means he can take us back up.

Most Brentford fans would disagree with that.

As would the managers they have come up against.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure. What's your point? 

Exactly what I said. Those types of passes are ineffective and flatter the statistics. 

If you'd have said how many of each 60 were forward, intent-driven passes, then that is evidence of the style we want being implemented. 

Just saying they tried to make 60 passes each gives no real insight at all and isn't helpful.

Just now, Pimlico_Villa said:

Exactly what I said. Those types of passes are ineffective and flatter the statistics. 

If you'd have said how many of each 60 were forward, intent-driven passes, then that is evidence of the style we want being implemented. 

Just saying they tried to make 60 passes each gives no real insight at all and isn't helpful.

The discussion was are we trying to play different. So it was relevant to that. 

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I don’t think it is confirmation bias. I was neither pro nor anti Smiths appointment and have no axe to grind and no bias to ‘confirm’ - it’s clear a day to anyone who that we are playing differently than under Bruce

Those who are not seeing an improvement, Stevo and TRO for example,  were very big Bruce fans so maybe they have a little bias themselves ?

I was never a “very big Bruce fan” and I  wanted Him gone for months. I was also very happy with Smiths appointment. 

Why would I be biased against Smith? 

Edited by Stevo985

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Most Brentford fans would disagree with that.

As would the managers they have come up against.

They were a playoff team the year before he took over, he finished midtable 3 times. Whether their style improved is completely irrelevant if the results were worse.

16 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

As Brentford how they feel about Smith leaving this evening .

• Like 1

Â