Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I was desperate for him to fix this but sadly the improvement for a spell of the first half wasn't enough to change my mind after sitting through that abject first half. We haven't looked that poor in a long while I don't think. We've been poor, but that was something else.

The players looked like they'd given up frankly and I just think they have absolutely no faith that what they're being told to do will get the club a good result. 

I will hate to see it happen but I unfortunately have to concede defeat now and agree that his time is up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not the game to sack Smith on. Freak goal from Southampton and second half was a hell of a lot better.

what?? we was so bad in the first half and played better in the second but didnt score in the second????? just wow

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not the game to sack Smith on. Freak goal from Southampton and second half was a hell of a lot better.

Yeah but it's not 1 game is it? It's the end of the road. He's done a good job for us but it's clear it's time to move on. 2021 has been a mess, relegation form. 

Edited by villa89

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

5 losses on the trot. 18 losses in 2021. I don't think 45 mins is football is enough to warrant holding fire tbh.

That's fair enough - not easy to argue with, but I'd still give him time to turn it around. I think he can. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

A real Villa man who has brought some great moments in recent seasons and helped bring positivity back to Villa.

The board need to do the right thing now and ensure they've got a top class replacement lined up and ready to go, they can't let this drag on it's not going to help the club and won't help Dean, who should only be remembered with respect as a villa manager who put us back on our feet.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not just this game though, it was his chance at redemption and it was comically wasted.

I don't think 45 mins were some players showed some effort is enough, it's not as though we really looked like getting a goal.

When Cash had a chance to shoot from inside the area and fell on his arse in the final few minutes you know that everything is going against Dean.

That plus the comedy opening goal, where a looping deflection cut us open like butter and the ball bobbles to their striker who manages a pin point volley.

Aside from a lot of set pieces in the first half, Saints are a one man team, without JWP they would be relegated, but at times we made them look like Barcelona.

As soon as I saw a midfield of Nakamba and McGinn i knew we wouldn't win.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

That's fair enough - not easy to argue with, but I'd still give him time to turn it around. I think he can. 

I`m a dean fan but 7 loses and 3 wins and 1 draw when do you think the turn around will be?

I think that’s it. Really sad the way it’s ended, but then managers rarely leave in happy circumstances.

The £300m (actually I think it’s £340m) figure again being used to hit him with. Yes that’s how much has been spent to add to a “squad” which was Grealish, McGinn and about a dozen players who’s name strikes fear into the heart of a lot of people on here when they see they’re on a team sheet. 

It’s not like he added £340m worth of talent to an existing premier league squad.  There wasn’t a first eleven that could be fielded that could be considered premier league quality. £340m on about 22 players to try and build a squad. 

But anyway, people have made up their minds either way on that front. 

If it’s the end, thanks for everything Dean. You’ve given me and most Villa supporters twice as many fond memories than the previous 10 years worth of managers combined. It’s not even close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

spacer.png

We have lost 5 game in a row! Can I have whatever you are drinking? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

As much as I like the guy 2021 has largely been a shit sandwich for Villa. I think the football gods have punished us for the audacity of actually beating Man United.

and the goal that crossed that line which had the tech worked, would have relegated us.

God damnit, I thought we were on the right track with Dean, completely turned us around and kept making progress, it's been a slow decline this year but 5 in a row, we've basically fallen off a cliff. When you're off, nothing goes your way and that's what we're seeing. I'm so sad for Dean, he loves this club as much as us but this cannot go on. 

I've no idea who should come in but something is seriously wrong here now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If it was just this game then you would be totally correct. It's not just the 5 games in a row, it's the whole of this season and the latter half of the other. I know you probably want to stand by Dean because he is such a top bloke but do you honestly think he can turn this round?

Â