Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I’ll tell you what won’t lead to a strong mentality, and that’s our own fans getting the knives out when we narrowly lose to Arsenal.

Really hope some of the fan base on here don’t start reflecting the mood at Villa Park. It’s the last thing we need.

Whether people like it or not if we don't improve he won't be with us much longer. It's been an awful start to the season, one win in six when I'd say five of those games were winnable, obviously not saying that we should have won five games but certainly we should have done better than we have done, it's not as if we've had the most difficult starts to the season.

More than six games! Last year we were praising the mental resilience of the team under Smith which meant we were winning snd drawing the types of games we would otherwise have lost, hell we forced our way up through the playoffs inch by inch. Look at the West Brom games. That was demonstrable mental toughness. 

I’ll tell you what won’t lead to a strong mentality, and that’s our own fans getting the knives out when we narrowly lose to Arsenal.

The players and manager have a lot to learn, and not much time to do it. How about we support them, yeah?

Nah steady on there, what you can't ever criticise or contemplate because that's not showing support. It's 340 am here, I'll get no sleep before work because of that result. I show my support plenty, I'm also entitled to question what might've been....

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's o.k screaming at them to push up but when you're tired physicallly and mentallty you drop deep, it just happens so you cover less space and less areas of the pitch.

To implement that you obviously bring on two fresh legs in middle or final third of pitch to give the existing players a lift and more outballs.

You just don't do nothing and wonder why half the team who are running out of gas by 70th minute mark then lose the game.

Anyone know if Luiz was injured today? To me he'd have been a good player to bring on with twenty left and he seems an intelligent player who knows the spaces to cover and can also move the ball quickly when required. Odd he wasn't in 18 today.

We couldn't handle Guendozi second half so he'd have been a good counter to that.

Sorry but if I was a Coach or Manager being 2-1 up I'd of stuck with the team that had put us ahead twice.

It's easy for us all fans to say Smith should or shouldn't of done this but fact is they scored twice in no time at all, in the blink of an eye really.

Our players no matter what should of seen that game through and if many of you saying that they were tires 70 mins on all while we were one man extra then what on earth is going on with there fitness for a start. Seriously against a side down to 10 men, we should of worn them out but it seemed as though they had an extra gear at the end that we just couldn't find, which we do now know we need to work upto in training.

Smith is going to have to push these players even more and he and the coaching staff need to raise there fitness to extreme levels to cope with the level of the prem.

The poor passing, easy give always is no fault but our own players, we couldn't push them out of our half and it would be our own down fall and rightly deserved for that display.

It's now how we move forward, this needs to stop and players need to keep there guts because they didn't half drop them once we went ahead again, a clear sign to me that we became to relaxed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's o.k screaming at them to push up but when you're tired physicallly and mentallty you drop deep, it just happens so you cover less space and less areas of the pitch.

To implement that you obviously bring on two fresh legs in middle or final third of pitch to give the existing players a lift and more outballs.

You just don't do nothing and wonder why half the team who are running out of gas by 70th minute mark then lose the game.

Anyone know if Luiz was injured today? To me he'd have been a good player to bring on with twenty left and he seems an intelligent player who knows the spaces to cover and can also move the ball quickly when required. Odd he wasn't in 18 today.

We couldn't handle Guendozi second half so he'd have been a good counter to that.

Absolutely spot on mate. I really like Deano and want him to do well but he has to have courage himself to take Grealish, McGinn or both off when they're clearly being overrun and put a couple of fresh players in there. 

Like you said, Luiz would have been ideal. However, he was out so it simply had to be Hourihane and Lansbury into the middle. 

Having said all that, Engels and Mings both made costly errors today that led to goals. For me, it was the same two players that cost us the goals against Spurs too. But, I guess when the ball is constantly coming your way, there is more chance of making mistakes. 

Deano, learn your lessons quick mate. We need you to! 

This isn't Smith lovers vs Smith haters.... I'm one of his biggest fans but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be worried by tonight's result.....

Let's not make this like the Steve Bruce thread hey. It's actually the Smith backers (which I'm one of) that are carrying on OTT on here...

• Like 1

Why do people feel the need to say criticism of smith is the crowd turning or label them as Smith haters? Do you understand how infantile that comes across? 

Criticism involves good and bad feedback. It's not a case of only praising someone. If they perform less than to the standard expected then you will have people letting him know. If you can't handle that you probably shouldn't be on a  internet messageboard. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Sorry but if I was a Coach or Manager being 2-1 up I'd of stuck with the team that had put us ahead twice.

It's easy for us all fans to say Smith should or shouldn't of done this but fact is they scored twice in no time at all, in the blink of an eye really.

Our players no matter what should of seen that game through and if many of you saying that they were tires 70 mins on all while we were one man extra then what on earth is going on with there fitness for a start. Seriously against a side down to 10 men, we should of worn them out but it seemed as though they had an extra gear at the end that we just couldn't find, which we do now know we need to work upto in training.

Smith is going to have to push these players even more and he and the coaching staff need to raise there fitness to extreme levels to cope with the level of the prem.

The poor passing, easy give always is no fault but our own players, we couldn't push them out of our half and it would be our own down fall and rightly deserved for that display.

It's now how we move forward, this needs to stop and players need to keep there guts because they didn't half drop them once we went ahead again, a clear sign to me that we became to relaxed.

I just find that a bit old school in thinking. Arsenal already were on top for good ten minutes before they made it 2-2, had loads of corners and Aubameyang missed a good chance. We had plenty of warning.

With our formation the middle three have to cover huge amounts of ground so no surprise all three were flagging with twenty minutes left.

Just seems to me a British manager thing to think the 11 who started have to pretty much finish the job.

If you look at Liverpool also 2-1 up with twenty minutes left, Klopp immediately pulled off Mane after Chelsea goal (their best player) and put on Milner who we know has incredible workrate and can cover so much ground.  He then put on Lallana ten minutes later and then Gomez for Salah in injury time.

Of course we're talking different levels but that's an example of a world class manager not sitting on his hands when 2-1 up away from home and crossing his fingers the 11 he put out could finish the job.

I'll repeat if Dean will say he didn't have enough options on the bench to see out a 2-1 against ten men what on earth did we spend the money on this summer?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Nah steady on there, what you can't ever criticise or contemplate because that's not showing support. It's 340 am here, I'll get no sleep before work because of that result. I show my support plenty, I'm also entitled to question what might've been....

Criticism does not exist in a vacuum, it requires expectation. When the expectation is unrealistic, so is the criticism. So to answer your post, no I’m not suggesting that you, me or anyone is not entitled to criticise the team, but I am saying that when the criticism is unrealistic, it will in absolutely no way help us stay up. At all.

• Like 2

Could he/should he have made changes earlier? Yes. 

Other than that, the players have to take responsibility on the pitch. The lack of collective experience shone through after we went 2-1 up. At that point, we just needed to keep the ball. Knock it around, pass/move and don’t try and force it, opportunities would have come as the game went on. 

Instead, we gave it away time and time again, then when we won it back, promptly proceeded to give it straight back to them again. We tried to counter at pace, when we just needed to settle and play possession football. Poor decision making and lack of situational awareness on the field cost us that game, not the manager. 

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why do people feel the need to say criticism of smith is the crowd turning or label them as Smith haters? Do you understand how infantile that comes across? 

Criticism involves good and bad feedback. It's not a case of only praising someone. If they perform less than to the standard expected then you will have people letting him know. If you can't handle that you probably shouldn't be on a  internet messageboard. 

Yeah but someone was saying Smith will be gone by Christmas. That’s not constructive.

Just now, HKP90 said:

Criticism does not exist in a vacuum, it requires expectation. When the expectation is unrealistic, so is the criticism. So to answer your post, no I’m not suggesting that you, me or anyone is not entitled to criticise the team, but I am saying that when the criticism is unrealistic, it will in absolutely no way help us stay up. At all.

Yes and it is your opinion that the criticism is unrealistic, it is not a fact just your opinion. We have played against 10 men for roughly 80 minutes in the last 2 matches scored 0 conceded 3..... 

Yeah but someone was saying Smith will be gone by Christmas. That’s not constructive.

It's just someone's opinion, it's neither here nor there. It won't effect how we play against Burnley. Calm down man.

Â