Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I don't think so either, and I don't think he will be gone by Christmas either. We are just one victory off being in the table position everybody would be content with when the season started. It's not a crisis going on by any stretch. But it doesn't change the fact this was 3 points we should have had, and we didn't get them due to players bottling and Deano's poor decisions. It's fair to comment on that without being labelled as Smith haters or any other bullshit. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yes I don't think arsenal are mentally weak that's the kind of obnoxious comments our fans are coming up with after we've been beat then we deserve that kind of thrashing for some of you to see how they got to us.

We are not above teams you knows they were good enough to beat us and use our sitting back against us, to me that resiliency and not mentally weak.

What!?

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Yes and it is your opinion that the criticism is unrealistic, it is not a fact just your opinion. We have played against 10 men for roughly 80 minutes in the last 2 matches scored 0 conceded 3..... 

6 games, dude. Smith’s job questioned after 6 games. 

It’s Arsenal not Watford. 

• Like 1

It's not unrealistic to expect us to have done better than we have done so far this season, and it's not unrealistic to expect us to be able to hang on to a lead against the ten men of Arsenal, or to beat a ten man West Ham at home, or not to lose against Bournemouth at home, or to a least get a point against one of the worst away teams in the division in Palace.

• Like 2

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

It's just someone's opinion, it's neither here nor there. It won't effect how we play against Burnley. Calm down man.

It’s only someones opinion right now. But When or if the crowd at VP turns on Smith it does start to affect the players. 

Just ask Steve Bruce.

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

6 f*****g games!!

He’s not wrong though and it’s not just six games we saw these issues last season as well. The difference being he had one of the best squads in the league to mask his short comings. 

Edited by jim

Just now, HKP90 said:

6 games, dude. Smith’s job questioned after 6 games. 

It’s Arsenal not Watford. 

I haven't questioned his job, I'm worried about us as a team. You're getting me confused with someone else.

No way will our owners have patience with him unless he is showing clear progress or the ability to learn. He is doing neither. 

They’ll compare today with the Spurs game and deduce that he either a) hasn’t learned that you can’t just sit back against top teams or b) he has bought garbage 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s only someones opinion right now. But When or if the crowd at VP turns on Smith it does start to affect the players. 

Just ask Steve Bruce.

Steve Bruce got the crowd offside because he was a knob, DS has more good will from us but it won't and can't last indefinitely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

He’s not wrong though and it’s not just six games we saw these issues last season as well. The difference being he had one of the best squads in the league to mask his short comings. 

No he didn’t. He had one fully fit centre half in the whole squad when he took over. Back then you said Smith was out of his depth and would be sacked by the end of the season. 

You were horribly wrong about us back then mate and im confident you’ll be wrong again. 

Trouble here is I get the feeling these owners are going to be far more ruthless than Lerner was. They haven't spend 150m just to see us go straight back down. Let's remember given all the upheaval last summer they could've given Steve Bruce up to December if they so wished. Remember when he was sacked we were only 2-3 points off top 6. However they felt with crowd reaction things weren't right and could quickly sense the season was going in the wrong direction and eventually it proved to be the right decision.

I don't want DS sacked like anyone else but Southampton in 12/13 comes to mind. Adkins gettin them two promotions and don't think they were even in bottom 3 when he sacked. Yet they made what at the time looked a baffling change with an unknown in Pochettino. Worked out well for them in next 3-4 seasons.

Hopefully we'll get 7 points on the board in next 3 games and all this will just look like understandble letting off steam after losing a 2-1 lead v 10 men.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

If he doesn't learn he will be gone.

After that West Ham game we all said he have to learn from that and then he does the exact same mistakes a week after. That's the worry.

Tell you what, man, and this is no reflection on you or your comments, but after the work put in place to build long term, finally, after years of short termism put us a week away from financial catastrophe in the lower reaches of the Championship, if Smith is hounded out by some kind of fan backlash to narrow defeats like tonight, that’s me walking away from Villa after 30 years. 

• Like 4

I don't think he's in any danger whatsoever of being fired at the moment but if we don't improve results wise over the next six games then the idea of making a change might start entering the owners thoughts, they didn't spend all that money in the summer for us to come straight back down without a fight, they'll want to do whatever it takes to keep us in the Premier league. Hopefully we can start getting some results and it won't come to that.

• Like 2

Someone commented earlier Smith wanted the players to play higher up & not defend deep , but our players were too tired to carry out ... I can’t understand as few  Arsenal players played on Thursday Europa games & our guys had the whole week off..

just feel that not many of ours have a technical skill/ calm composure/ quick passing ability to hold / circulate the ball to a teammate & cut opponents momentum. These traits of a modern team but i can’t see any of our players do it. We either pump it long / or dwell on it too long & dispossessed.. hopefully Smith see these weakness & sign such type players in Jan window. 

Needs to tell the players to stop attempting 30-yard passes through the middle of the pitch when we're ahead and especially towards the end of games. Also needs to work on recovering second balls, we're never getting to them, whether it's fitness or our shape or lack of subs or whatever.

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I haven't questioned his job, I'm worried about us as a team. You're getting me confused with someone else.

Didn’t say you did, was referring to a previous poster.

Â