Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Very much so. I understand Hourihane being on the bench because he can play any central midfield position but Lansbury has offered very little since joining the club and I'd much rather see Luiz come off the bench than Lansbury. 

Could've just put all three on the bench as they were v West Ham aswell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I get your thinking, but you're clutching at straws. Davis for Wesley was not the "obvious" substitution that you described it as in an earlier post.

Davis is one year younger than Wesley. Wesley has 2 goals this season in the Premier League. Davis has 2 career goals.

Our bench is wank and DS knows it.

I think it is. When Wesley not only is playing poorly, but is breathing out his arse and we need hold up play, Davis is a great choice. An obvious choice. It's a certainty Deano will reflect on this and see he got it wrong.

Edit. I wrote Wesley, but ment Davis in your quote of me. But you figured it out. 😊

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

What baffled me wasn't just the lack of subs. But the fact that we kept trying to hit them on the counter, go route one, when there were plenty of opertunity to slow the play down  and give us a much needed breather. 

There were more then one occasion where we rushed the ball out to isolated wingers. Or times where Mings would play thru a clustered center instead of rolling it to the side to either Engels or Guildbert, who were completely free. (while we're 2-1 up) 

We can't keep covering and pressing as much as we do and break away every time. We don't have the fitness level for that, no one does. Especially when you refuse to make subs. 

We looked brilliant the first half.  Sadly as we ran out of steam the performance suffered. 

• Like 3

Strange that in his interview he is blaming the team for sitting back inviting pressure and that this is what lost us the game. Does he not realise this happened because half the midfield were starting to blow through there arse. They were knackered Dean, an couldn't run back and forth anymore.

We might not have the quality to turn the game, but when you are 2-1 up against 10 men i'm sure Luiz and others are better to bring on than leaving players who can't run anymore on the pitch.

If Arsenal brought on fresh legs, why would we not follow suit, seems crazy to me??

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

The only explanation I can think of for not making the subs is that he genuinely thinks the bench is not of sufficient quality and that he doesn’t trust them. 

I actually don't think we have brought particular ly well in the summer. Apart from Engels and Heaton the others look a bit low on quality IMO

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Another spot on analysis. I mentioned subbing Grealish, McGinn or both recently in a game and was laughed at lambasted by a few on here. I'm not saying they aren't good enough - they are! - but, after 65-70 minutes when they look knackered, Deano needs to show some character and make at least one change there. 

In essence this is correct, however how much you bet if he made a move like that and we drew or lost the game, shouts would be.

"The f#ck is he playing at? Who takes off their best players when a. (Winning) or b. When we need goals!" Etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

This kind of stuff would be in Football for Dummies. I’m sure that’s not a lesson he needs to learn at all. If such basic stuff is then it’s a huge cause for concern. 

He **** up today and I don’t know what he was thinking, but I don’t believe he needs to learn lessons on such basic stuff. Mistakes were made by many (including Dean) but I’m sure they hold their hands up and we all move on. 

It's not that he doesn't know he should sub off tired legs. It's that he doesn't realize he has to sub off McGinn and/or Grealish when they're knackered. I know the replacements are nowhere near good enough but you still need to do it.

He's stubbornly and naively thinking that they're the best and most likely to create something and so they need to stay on. That's true, but all we needed really after going 2-1 up was to keep the ball to keep the pressure off us. We might have sacrificed some offensive power but in the end it helps us not concede 2 goals and besides, Conor and Henri both know where the goal is themselves.

Like I said, I'm sure he'll learn from it. If we had Luiz on the bench I'm sure he would have made a sub earlier, but that's on him for leaving him out. Like others say, I don't think he trusts Conor and Henri at this level.

Points are a premium at this level and the last two games have been opportunities lost. Going into both games you may have said a point from them would have been acceptable given the opposition but the reality is we couldn't make our numerical advantage count last week against a West Ham side who failed to threaten much and today we again blew a numerical advantage and two leads against an Arsenal side that is defending extremely poorly right now. 

It's no surprise to me that we failed to seize both opportunities when Smith's in game management is seemingly so naive. I like Smith a lot, very good coach, seems to be a good motivator and broadly speaking sets us up well with the right way of playing, but boy he really cannot adapt to a match and make good effective changes, whether that's tactics or substitutions.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In essence this is correct, however how much you bet if he made a move like that and we drew or lost the game, shouts would be.

"The f#ck is he playing at? Who takes off their best players when a. (Winning) or b. When we need goals!" Etc.

Guaranteed. For some it’s all about the result.  Mings heads it over and Engels smashes it up field and we win 2-1 and sit 13thx Everyone is celebrating and Smith is the best manager since JG. 

Such fine margins.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What i don't understand is Smith today and Monday night after the game saying we are dropping too deep but he isn't telling them to. How can this be ?? MAKES NO SENSE.  you ate the manager you tell them how to play !

They’re not robots you know.

When that much pressure is on players always drop deep. It’s a mental thing. If we were good enough we could play our way out of trouble but instead we kept giving it away.  We were better of just smashes it up field any chance we had. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They’re not robots you know.

You don't have to be a robot to follow instructions. It's tiresome hearing this garbage from smith  as we all know it's not the truth. They are being instructed to play like this.

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Sad 1

Why do we appear to unfit? Needs to be questioned. Against Spurs, Palace, West Ham and today.. at the final whistle, our players are collapsing to their knees.

Do we have a conditioning coach? 

We should be able to play football for two sets of 45 with a 20 min rest.

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Why do we appear to unfit? Needs to be questioned. Against Spurs, Palace, West Ham and today.. at the final whistle, our players are collapsing to their knees.

Do we have a conditioning coach? 

We should be able to play football for two sets of 45 with a 20 min rest.

Not up to the fitness of the oppositions players I guess. We all talk about the ability of the top players but maybe fitness levels must be much higher too. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You think he’s lying?  

Of course he is. It's no coincidence it was same as West ham game and spurs game is it? 

You think the players are playing their own way and disobeying the manager?

Â