Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The too late subs are doing my head in.

Every game our opponents change things up and every game we wait too long to respond or preferably do the first move.

At least we used all 3 subs this time. Sadly after we've given away the game.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Some players just have better pace and stamina. That's what you pay the big bucks for.

I think this squad is missing that fast, direct, athletic option to hit teams on the counter attack. Gabby in his prime would have torn this Arsenal team apart in the second half.

We need to make at least 2 signings in January.

a Eriksen/Bernardo Silva more intelligent & calm type would be better to slowing down / circulating ball / doing Rondo / better touches & ball control & making a opponent chasing round like a monkey tiring them out in the process. These will lessen pressure , as evidently today the ball keep coming back as players simply can’t engineer a outball & keep possession. 

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I mean, the in game management is definitely a worry but there's so much to be encouraged by. I haven't seen his post-match interview but I'm confident he'll realize his mistake and do better in the future. This is a learning curve for him too. Just like Jack now knows to not dilly-dally on the edge of his box in the PL I'm sure Smith will soon realize that he needs to make more proactive subs especially in the midfield (where we're well-stocked!) as players inevitably tire. This ain't the Championship. Jack and John won't be able to dominate for 90 mins.

Apart from that though, we're getting there. Once Neil Taylor is phased out, we'll get even better in attack. We should have 3-6 more points than we do already if it weren't for naivety and a bunch of other factors out of our control. I'm quietly confident that we'll get it right soon and manage to stay up. This is a good team with a good coach that are only going to improve.

This kind of stuff would be in Football for Dummies. I’m sure that’s not a lesson he needs to learn at all. If such basic stuff is then it’s a huge cause for concern. 

He **** up today and I don’t know what he was thinking, but I don’t believe he needs to learn lessons on such basic stuff. Mistakes were made by many (including Dean) but I’m sure they hold their hands up and we all move on. 

• Like 1

" The result was harsh on Villa, who impressed for long periods but paid the price for dropping far too deep in the closing stages and inviting Arsenal pressure. A fourth defeat from six league games means they remain in the bottom three. "

Pretty much that.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49705154

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Most of the squad are new to the league, the management is new to the league, but the management have to learn the quickest.

Silly mistakes made by very tired footballers are why managers get sacked.

I mean, who wouldn't have broken up the holy pairing of grealish and McGinn after 70 mins today? They were invisible after we got the 2nd, against ten men.  Knackered, and not helped by management who refuse to take them off when they can't run anymore.

That's 4 games I can count this season where we've been screaming for a sub, yet one hasn't come until opponents have scored.

Love Smith, but he's got to learn it's ok to make changes before it's too late.

Another spot on analysis. I mentioned subbing Grealish, McGinn or both recently in a game and was laughed at lambasted by a few on here. I'm not saying they aren't good enough - they are! - but, after 65-70 minutes when they look knackered, Deano needs to show some character and make at least one change there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I said it last year after we got promoted, our own fans expectations will be the biggest hurdle to us staying up. 

Not sure about the biggest hurdle to us staying up, but biggest object to us building a system and legacy that includes time to make mistakes and learn - yes, 100%.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Eurgh. The lad has a 1 in 20 goal scoring rate. You're judging his hold-up play on the basis of pre-season friendlies or a few late spells against weak opposition.

Slamming DS for not bringing Keinan Davis on is beyond desperate.

Lots of young players don't have eye watering statistics before breaking through. It's easy to see Wesley can contribute with his physique in a match like this. We didn't need goals at 2-1. We needed someone to bring the team up the pitch and Davis got that ability in spades. 

The decision to leave Luiz out in favour of Lansbury seems mighty strange for me. A guy that Guardiola seems keen to be able to get hold off cast aside in favour of a player unable to get near the starting lineup of a Championship team for the best part of two years is concerning. 

I think Luiz on the bench could have seen him come on for McGinn after 65-70 minutes today and would probably have helped to close that out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

The only explanation I can think of for not making the subs is that he genuinely thinks the bench is not of sufficient quality and that he doesn’t trust them. 

It’s probably true and to be fair to him only 2 of the players on the bench were new signings with one being a centre half. So that could mean that even after all the players we signed in the summer the rebuild is no way near completion.

I was suprised luiz wasnt on the bench. Must be injured. 

Just now, Villarocker said:

The decision to leave Luiz out in favour of Lansbury seems mighty strange for me. A guy that Guardiola seems keen to be able to get hold off cast aside in favour of a player unable to get near the starting lineup of a Championship team for the best part of two years is concerning. 

I think Luiz on the bench could have seen him come on for McGinn after 65-70 minutes today and would probably have helped to close that out. 

Has he confirmed it was tactical?

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lots of young players don't have eye watering statistics before breaking through. It's easy to see Wesley can contribute with his physique in a match like this. We didn't need goals at 2-1. We needed someone to bring the team up the pitch and Davis got that ability in spades. 

I get your thinking, but you're clutching at straws. Davis for Wesley was not the "obvious" substitution that you described it as in an earlier post.

Davis is one year younger than Wesley. Wesley has 2 goals this season in the Premier League. Davis has 2 career goals.

Our bench is wank and DS knows it.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Strange decision.

Very much so. I understand Hourihane being on the bench because he can play any central midfield position but Lansbury has offered very little since joining the club and I'd much rather see Luiz come off the bench than Lansbury. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s probably true and to be fair to him only 2 of the players on the bench were new signings with one being a centre half. So that could mean that even after all the players we signed in the summer the rebuild is no way near completion.

I was suprised luiz wasnt on the bench. Must be injured. 

He was asked in his press conference about injuries and he just said Kodjia. 

Leaving Luiz out today is unforgivable 

Â