Dean Smith

Demitri_C

If the players were told to sit deep they would have worked at it and seen these games out. Like Bruce’s teams do. The fact we collapse even when we play this way proves to me it’s not a tactic at all. They are just shattered. 

Suprised you think Smith has resorted to lying in press conferences Dem. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It's just someone's opinion, it's neither here nor there. It won't effect how we play against Burnley. Calm down man.

People read these forums or have people read them for them whether they be player, Coaches, manager or other staff it does happen and all the negativity is not needed.

Constructive critism is fine but all the BS is just wrong when we all  need to be behind who is in charge and who kicks the ball for us.

Why do we look shattered after an hour into every game? A few of them played 46 games last year, and the rest of them shouldnt be struggling so much so early in the season. Either something wasnt there in pre season fitness wise, or the players aren't pulling their weight 

• Like 1

Why do we look shattered after an hour into every game? A few of them played 46 games last year, and the rest of them shouldnt be struggling so much so early in the season. Either something wasnt there in pre season fitness wise, or the players aren't pulling their weight 

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Of course he is. It's no coincidence it was same as West ham game and spurs game is it? 

You think the players are playing their own way and disobeying the manager?

Smith is quite clearly not telling the players to drop deep. It's a mental issue with the players, lacking the belief to push up and take control. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Points are a premium at this level and the last two games have been opportunities lost. Going into both games you may have said a point from them would have been acceptable given the opposition but the reality is we couldn't make our numerical advantage count last week against a West Ham side who failed to threaten much and today we again blew a numerical advantage and two leads against an Arsenal side that is defending extremely poorly right now. 

It's no surprise to me that we failed to seize both opportunities when Smith's in game management is seemingly so naive. I like Smith a lot, very good coach, seems to be a good motivator and broadly speaking sets us up well with the right way of playing, but boy he really cannot adapt to a match and make good effective changes, whether that's tactics or substitutions.

Broken my solemn vow never to enter the thread of the current manager, but FWIW this is where I'm at as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Smith is quite clearly not telling the players to drop deep. It's a mental issue with the players, lacking the belief to push up and take control. 

Do you think its their lack of familiarity with each other or just a group lack of general confidence?

7 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Is this not a reason to make substitutions, fresh legs and send them on with new instructions, hype the team up a bit. Arsenal needed to do it in midfield an it worked. Shocking, I thnik not!

20 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

Because the games are more intense at this level.

You have less possession, you're pressed more quickly, the opposition are faster and move more, the intensity is sustained for longer, etc.

Let's just be realistic - we lost away to a team that will finish in the top 6. It wasn't on our list of must-win games. We now face a string of games against teams we should be looking to beat, and we'll have a much clearer idea of this team's qualities after that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Why do we appear to unfit? Needs to be questioned. Against Spurs, Palace, West Ham and today.. at the final whistle, our players are collapsing to their knees.

Do we have a conditioning coach? 

We should be able to play football for two sets of 45 with a 20 min rest.

Our ball retention is horrendous at times. It's no wonder our players are all knackered, we rush things so much everyone is up and down the pitch all the time. Need to work on dominating the ball better and having resting periods in the game.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

People read these forums or have people read them for them whether they be player, Coaches, manager or other staff it does happen and all the negativity is not needed.

Constructive critism is fine but all the BS is just wrong when we all  need to be behind who is in charge and who kicks the ball for us.

I haven't read all the comments but it is still a matter of opinion what is constructive criticism and what is BS. I've had 2 hours sleep to think and I'm still feeling very much the same.... That was a shambolic 30 mins of football that could have been managed by the players and the manager so much better.

We can keep being optimistic, and that is how I want to be. However a couple more performances like that and it'll be Xmas and we'll be in the bottom 3.

Based on what I've seen, Burnley will be the hardest game we've had so far and we'll do well to get any kind of a result. Another loss and we will be becoming detached soon. 

We may beat Burnley and all of a sudden I look silly, I hope that is the case, but to blindly defend any manager is naive.

I like Dean Smith, in fact I've said he was becoming my favourite Villa manager (of my time) but don't let the fact it was Arsenal at the Emirates, it was a poor performance (last 30mins) Ive seen from players and coaches under his reign.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Our ball retention is horrendous at times. It's no wonder our players are all knackered, we rush things so much everyone is up and down the pitch all the time. Need to work on dominating the ball better and having resting periods in the game.

Very much this.

In the last 20 minutes we just needed to put a foot on the ball, keep it simple and slow the game down. We needed that instruction from Dean along with fresh legs in midfield to pull it off.

Alas, a winger change and a double substitution with 5 minutes to go when the game was gone is what we got. 

Had to do better, Dean

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No I think they are naturally dropping deep when under intense pressure because they shattered and scared of getting caught too high up the field because won’t be able to handle balls played through them. On top of that they can’t handle the press and keep giving the ball away which causes them to drop.  Our fitness levels and inability to keep the ball is hurting us

I also don’t think people appriecate how much better Spurs and Arsenal’s players are compared to ours. 

We didn’t sit deep against West Ham.  We just ran out of ideas.

spot on.....and it was similar in the championship and we still seem uncomfortable with it.....that's why I think we need 2 holders. with 4 in front i.e 4-2-3-1

Our players are not quite good enough yet to play 4-3-3 in this league,they are not defensively competent enough to turnover or for us to press or cope with the press......We do not have control of the centre of the pitch to see a game out.

• Like 1

Â