Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think I will wait until mid November before I have a clear view of how capable he is in the Premier League. Was hoping our investments this summer would give us a 14-17th place when season is over, and I still think we can have a successful season and take one of those spots.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I love Smith, I wouldn't sack him whatsoever this season. However, the manner of defeat today is very concerning. Arsenal were rubbish, not good at all and still they've somehow been gifted a win. 

Yeah that’s were im at.

We seem to be sharing the mistakes around and getting punished every time. That’s the Premier League for you. 

It’s going to be a long long season and I think there will be a lot more days like this one. Hopefully there are 3 teams worse than us and we can try and rectify the weaknesses next summer. There are some good elements to this side but some really really weak parts to. You can carry players in the Championship but everyone gets a proper examination in the Prem.

Edited by villaglint

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No he didn’t. He had one fully fit centre half in the whole squad when he took over. Back then you said Smith was out of his depth and would be sacked by the end of the season. 

You were horribly wrong about us back then mate and im confident you’ll be wrong again. 

Don’t think I ever said that. 

Post January we probably had the best squad in the league including one of the hottest strikers in England right now. Getting us up was what anyone would have expected with that squad. It was just that we had a muppet in charge prior to Smith.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Tell you what, man, and this is no reflection on you or your comments, but after the work put in place to build long term, finally, after years of short termism put us a week away from financial catastrophe in the lower reaches of the Championship, if Smith is hounded out by some kind of fan backlash to narrow defeats like tonight, that’s me walking away from Villa after 30 years. 

Well said! Even if we went down, I'd still keep him as he would be the man to take us back up. We need some continuity that has a plan. Yes Deano has made mistakes and some strange subs but he's not Engels making a stupid challenge or Mings heading it down in his own box instead of behind for a corner. 

Let's hope everyone learns quickly. 

Strange comments. There’s no way Smith is under pressure after today.

However I put him at fault for the loss, not something I’ve said before. Arsenal or not we shouldn’t be losing a game against 10 men whilst ahead. He didn’t have a plan second half and we were punished for it. He has to be ready to adapt to games, we were overrun in midfield second half and we needed to flood that midfield desperately. The change didn’t come until we were losing. In all honesty it was like Bruce was back in charge.

By no means the end to our season but every week we are getting cut further and further adrift. No names but a certain team last season did similar and problem also said similar. Saturday is massive.

32 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm just gonna cover that first bit, but that's definitely not the case. Davis has hold up play that's some of the best I've ever seen at Villa, bar Heskey. Much much better than Wesley. By some bloody distance as well.   

Eurgh. The lad has a 1 in 20 goal scoring rate. You're judging his hold-up play on the basis of pre-season friendlies or a few late spells against weak opposition.

Slamming DS for not bringing Keinan Davis on is beyond desperate.

Not defending Smith here, but there are two other coaches in the dug out with him and should be able other an opinion?  ROK and/or JT could have suggested subs earlier in the second half.  Perhaps they even did?   A good coach also listens to his coaches.  

I like Smith, I really do, but he got it wrong in the second half today.  Changes needed to be made earlier and his delay cost us 3 valuable points.  

I mean, the in game management is definitely a worry but there's so much to be encouraged by. I haven't seen his post-match interview but I'm confident he'll realize his mistake and do better in the future. This is a learning curve for him too. Just like Jack now knows to not dilly-dally on the edge of his box in the PL I'm sure Smith will soon realize that he needs to make more proactive subs especially in the midfield (where we're well-stocked!) as players inevitably tire. This ain't the Championship. Jack and John won't be able to dominate for 90 mins.

Apart from that though, we're getting there. Once Neil Taylor is phased out, we'll get even better in attack. We should have 3-6 more points than we do already if it weren't for naivety and a bunch of other factors out of our control. I'm quietly confident that we'll get it right soon and manage to stay up. This is a good team with a good coach that are only going to improve.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Tell you what, man, and this is no reflection on you or your comments, but after the work put in place to build long term, finally, after years of short termism put us a week away from financial catastrophe in the lower reaches of the Championship, if Smith is hounded out by some kind of fan backlash to narrow defeats like tonight, that’s me walking away from Villa after 30 years. 

It wont change mate , people are very short sighted. 6 Games In , were all disappointed but please calm down. What did we really expect this season to waltz up the league beating Spuds and Arsenal at home. Keep the faith  m8 don't walk away -  the same people will be back singing his praises if we string a mini run together.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I mean, the in game management is definitely a worry but there's so much to be encouraged by. I haven't seen his post-match interview but I'm confident he'll realize his mistake and do better in the future. This is a learning curve for him too. Just like Jack now knows to not dilly-dally on the edge of his box in the PL I'm sure Smith will soon realize that he needs to make more proactive subs especially in the midfield (where we're well-stocked!) as players inevitably tire. This ain't the Championship. Jack and John won't be able to dominate for 90 mins.

Apart from that though, we're getting there. Once Neil Taylor is phased out, we'll get even better in attack. We should have 3-6 more points than we do already if it weren't for naivety and a bunch of other factors out of our control. I'm quietly confident that we'll get it right soon and manage to stay up. This is a good team with a good coach that are only going to improve.

well said that man !!!!

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Oh sorry just the repeated quoting of my posts gave me the impression you were talking to me 😁

What, when we’re talking to each other we can only refer to things we’ve only personally discussed? I thought this was a forum, not a DM. We were both commenting on the reactions to the game.

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I know how you feel.  Maybe it’s best to have a break from the forum after games like this. 

• Like 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

What, when we’re talking to each other we can only refer to things we’ve only personally discussed? I thought this was a forum, not a DM. We were both commenting on the reactions to the game.

It's fine mate 👍

3 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Someone commented earlier Smith wanted the players to play higher up & not defend deep , but our players were too tired to carry out ... I can’t understand as few  Arsenal players played on Thursday Europa games & our guys had the whole week off..

Some players just have better pace and stamina. That's what you pay the big bucks for.

I think this squad is missing that fast, direct, athletic option to hit teams on the counter attack. Gabby in his prime would have torn this Arsenal team apart in the second half.

We need to make at least 2 signings in January.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know how you feel.  Maybe it’s best to have a break from the forum after games like this. 

Yeah, you’re not wrong, although I guess we’re all fired up tonight. Everyone needs to sleep on it I guess. I’m off to get drunk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I like Smith, I really do, but he got it wrong in the second half today.  Changes needed to be made earlier and his delay cost us 3 valuable points.  

I also like Smith but he's got hardly anything right this season.

We're six games in and haven't played well yet. There's no periods of control, everything is rush rush rush.

He started the season with the wrong full backs, and still hasn't replaced one of them. That's cost us plenty of points.

The midfield is disjointed and the wingers are having very little effect in supporting the striker. Every single match.

Subs are too late every game.

We have to slow down in possession and stop being careless or we're going down.

14 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Someone commented earlier Smith wanted the players to play higher up & not defend deep , but our players were too tired to carry out ... I can’t understand as few  Arsenal players played on Thursday Europa games & our guys had the whole week off..

just feel that not many of ours have a technical skill/ calm composure/ quick passing ability to hold / circulate the ball to a teammate & cut opponents momentum. These traits of a modern team but i can’t see any of our players do it. We either pump it long / or dwell on it too long & dispossessed.. hopefully Smith see these weakness & sign such type players in Jan window. 

Which is why he should have made better subs earlier. He sticks with his favourites too much.

Â