Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Would you not agree - that all of these names mentioned are now considered yesterday's men?

A degree of success what does this really equate to though ? You can't put this in a trophy cabinet can you - sorry don't mean that in a flippant way - but no one will remember this.

Yes I can see this deserved some acknowledgment but it only goes so far. As for Moyes - his pal Fergie got him that gig. Look at his record since and you must acknowledge that Utd have looked the other way for managers since then.

For me they are ordinary managers plying their trade - which I give them credit for - but to me they are average no more or less.

Fair enough. Everyone sees it through their own lens.

If by yesterdays men you mean their best is behind them, then yes, you're probably right.

If you're point is we would be better off looking for other managers for our future then I would agree wholeheartedly.

We haven't been top half of the Premier League for the better half of a decade. All these managers have operated at a level on par with our standing during that time.

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Wouldn’t it be great if we had a thread about Dean Smith, who I understand has been our manager for some months now?

I do understand though that people will want to discuss Steve Bruce for many many years to come to the exclusion of all else.

😉

I'd probably prefer to engage discussions about Smith than I would Bruce too.

However unfortunate it may be, Bruce is still relevant to some degree and will be 'til this seasons end as far as I'm concerned. At least.

He achieved 83 points and a play off final which is better than the Champions League winning RDM was on course to do, same goes for Smith's record as is.

12 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

That is quite possibly one of the stupidest things i have ever read on here and there is plenty to choose from

I read this and lol'd

Then I looked at who you were quoting and it all made sense :D 

• Like 1

interesting in the press conference that he said Mings came with good character references so it sounds like a lot of research is going into signings now and we are looking at people that wont be "wastemen"

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I could see us taking the league by storm if we signed Fer and had Grealish return for the remainder.

Unfortunately, Hutton and Taylor are still our starting fullbacks...  Because of this, I think we'll struggle to make the playoffs without some luck.  

Just now, KMitch said:

Unfortunately, Hutton and Taylor are still our starting fullbacks...  Because of this, I think we'll struggle to make the playoffs without some luck.  

Every side has it's weaknesses that can be exploited. Hutton does a pretty good job of getting forward at this level. As does Elmo.

If your concern with them as full backs is from a defensive perspective than I understand and agree. The wall passes that led to the Ipswich goal are a good example of how we can be beaten down the flank. I also think you're bang on about luck playing a role. I'm not sure we've had a whole lot under Smith so far. Not trying to excuse the evident issues.

I applaud him for finally sending guys out on loan to get some game time. It is the best interests of the player and the club, despite with Steve Bruce would have you believe.
Keeping them around "just incase" is just pure self interest and protecting yourself and not benefitting this club.

11 January 2019 CF England Rushian Hepburn-Murphy England Cambridge United 31 May 2019 [54]
29 January 2019 CM England Callum O'Hare England Carlisle United 31 May 2019 [55]
31 January 2019 CM England Corey Blackett-Taylor England Walsall 31 May 2019 [56]
31 January 2019 RB England James Bree England Ipswich Town 31 May 2019 [57]
31 January 2019 CM Republic of Ireland Jake Doyle-Hayes England Cambridge United 31 May 2019 [58]

31 January 2019 CF England Harry McKirdy Wales Newport County 31 May 2019 [60]
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Next season terrifies me. Losing Abraham and Grealish is pretty much a guarantee. I can see multiple clubs in for McGinn too. Who knows if we will get Axel and El Ghazi. Huge core of our team ripped away. 

Thankfully that's anxiety speaking and it's not the reality. Not having a stab at you. I just think there's still a lot to play for and I still have some excitement for the here and now.

58 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Next season terrifies me. Losing Abraham and Grealish is pretty much a guarantee. I can see multiple clubs in for McGinn too. Who knows if we will get Axel and El Ghazi. Huge core of our team ripped away. 

Dunno - Mcginn is under contract and has plenty of years left on his contract - its going take a £20m+ bid to shift him.

Agree with the other departures - but the jan window is always tough - and we seem to have made some very good moves - hopefully these players can tighten up the defence - which is my biggest concern. Smith always manages to get his team scoring goals - its keepin em that needs solving...

• Like 2

Kalinic
Hutton - Elphick/Chester - Mings - Taylor
                        Carroll
              McGinn - Grealish 
El Ghazi - Tammy - Adomah/Green

So, are we better than at the start of January? 

6 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Kalinic
                        Carroll
              McGinn - Grealish 

Because I think we’ve improved the keeper (by how much remains to be seen), I’d say yes.

Annoyed that the full back positions for the remainder of the season don’t look like they’ve been solved. 

8 hours ago, Farlz said:

Kalinic
                        Carroll
              McGinn - Grealish 

We are but the main factor is Grealish not new signings.  Full backs still scare me.

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Anyone think Dean Smith is signing players for a different formation or line of tactics?

Well he has signed two CB'S - that to me doesn't suggest a change of formation is imminent - Id expect Mings to either replace Chester or Elphick.  

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not signing a left back seems to be a glaring error, but I'd imagine that has nothing to do with Smith, all he does is make recommendations, he's ultimately not responsible for any deals actually going through.

This is what it seems alot of people don't realise and it irks me.

I've seen some "This is where we miss Bruce" comments on the likes of Facebook. lol

• Like 1

Â