Dean Smith

Demitri_C

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

I sincerely hope you are right.

It would be very hard not to do a better job than cabbage. If smith buys players that fit his style of keeping the ball and playing a passing game then we will improve no end. His major issue will be losing grealish, tammy and mcGinn if we don't get promoted. I can't see him being able to replace those players as they are all playing beneath their level in the championship.  

Edited by villa89

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I totally disagree. We had been standing off them and allowing them to pass the ball under no pressure for 10 minutes before they scored.  I thought it had been coming to be honest. 

Ipswich were there to be destroyed for large parts of the game but instead we just started backing off and allowing them the ball under no pressure. 

The goal came as no surprise to me. 

Regretably you are spot on.

if that is not a lack of effort, workrate or applying yourself.....i don't know what is.

but accept there could be an alternative truth.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It would be very hard not to do a better job than cabbage. If smith buys players that fit his style of keeping the ball and playing a passing game then we will improve no end. His major issue will be losing grealish, tammy and mcGinn if we don't get promoted. I can't see him being able to replace those players as they are all playing beneath their level in the championship.  

I usually like to respond....but after your first line....i think I'll leave it.

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't honestly see any sign of progressing, until we can do a better job of this.

I know you can't close eveything down.....but we make it too easy for them.

it could so easily have been 2-2 again, even though they were hardlly in it for long spells..it could equally have been 6-1 too.

Of course, they'll be times when we’re overloaded but it seems to be happening far too often even against poor teams who don’t really pose intricate movement and threats. Look, only Ipswich and Rotherham have conceded more this season. It’s about defending as a team.

It needs to improve no doubt but I’m hesitant to attribute blame to Smith as the same things occurred under Bruce. I think this can be remedied with the correct personnel in the correct areas of the pitch. I’m convinced that a preseason toward a high and energetic press is imperative too, in order to get the necessary conditioning. You’re playing catch up when the season has started.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Few managers get all their first choice signings but they were certainly all his choices. Was he restricted by funds? To an extent yes but again which manager isn't but lets not pretend he didn't have money to spend to an extent far beyond the reaches of just about every other club in the league. Who else spent £12m on a striker? Who else could afford £80k a week for Terry or £40k a week for Lansbury or Snodgrass. Or the wages for Tammy and Bolasie this season. He spent a fortune.

He wasted a huge amount of money, particularly on loans and short term fixes. He was responsible.

I will treat Smith no differently to any other manager, I will judge him on his results, signings and football. I've little doubt given a similar level of finance and 4 transfer windows he will do a far better job.

I am nott getting in to a Bruce v Smith debate.....Because Smith has much to do and the timeline is out of balance....plus the fact its unproductive.

However, our current 3 best players, Bruce has had an instrumental involvement in them.....Tammy, McGinn and Jack's rise to fame.

but we both need to put it down......Dean Smith is our manager and what he does, is all that matters now.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Well that was pretty pointless then in a thread about Smith.

convenient, as we were talking about Both, in the earlier exchanges.

I agree, lets get back on topic.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

However, our current 3 best players, Bruce has had an instrumental involvement in them.....Tammy, McGinn and Jack's rise to fame.

He takes no credit at all for Jack imo. 

The whole squad needs rebuilding in the summer due to Steve Bruce's efforts. 

One good permanent signing (McGinn) in his time here is truly awful. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Lets see what Dean Smith does....fingers crossed.

I hope he signs really well.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I am nott getting in to a Bruce v Smith debate.....Because Smith has much to do and the timeline is out of balance....plus the fact its unproductive.

but we both need to put it down......Dean Smith is our manager and what he does, is all that matters now.

Yeah, there is no way Grealish would have been a good player without Steve Bruce. 

Haha good one.

Dean has to stand up and be counted now (yes I know that's 1)

I was dead chuffed to get him. I thought if he can do what he was doing at Brentford with those players, then think of what he could achieve with our team. It started brilliant attacking play goals galore climbing the league. He was doing it with this team. We were scared of no one. Optimism was high. Now not so much, what has changed I think only the style of play. Its the same team. I am fed up of reading "look what Bruce left us" Dean was winning with the team that Bruce left us. If we had been winning a few months earlier then Bruce would not have been sacked ( I am not a Bruce fan by the way)

Now all of a sudden they are no good again. Stop complaining about the players we have and go back to doing what was working

Edited by Robtaylor200

2 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I was dead chuffed to get him. I thought if he can do what he was doing at Brentford with those players, then think of what he could achieve with our team. It started brilliant attacking play goals galore climbing the league. He was doing it with this team. We were scared of no one. Optimism was high. Now not so much, what has changed I think only the style of play. Its the same team. I am fed up of reading "look what Bruce left us" Dean was winning with the team that Bruce left us. If we had been winning a few months earlier then Bruce would not have been sacked ( I am not a Bruce fan by the way)

Now all of a sudden they are no good again. Stop complaining about the players we have and go back to doing what was working

Tough to do with scared players. Axel bringing it out, frees up space. Jack welcoming the ball into feet no matter his position on the pitch, opens holes everywhere. A grubby win will help confidence if nothing else.

Smith needs improvement 100%. Another win at Reading essential with Sheff U coming up I think. Players need to find their balls.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, av1 said:

To be fair to TRO, he's probably crediting Bruce more for getting a grip of Jack's crappy attitude when he was being, ahem, a bit of a Jack The Lad! If that's the case, TRO is right to praise Bruce because he did make Jack toe the line. 

I think Jack's performances being better and more consistent is down to the player that severed his kidney. I think that injury, and the fact that Jack was told he could have died, gave him the kick up the arse he needed and since then we've seen the true Jack Grealish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Why are we not converting our chances though.

He also needs to think about the future of Elmohamady as the game changed the minute he came on and imo obviously trying to help us drop points out of obvious stupidity.

I'd like him and Taylor shipped out this week.

We need to see another 3/4 arrive this week.

I don’t think you can blame the manager for not converting chances Andy. Especially when the striker doing the missing is scoring plenty. If he wasn’t then there would be a case for dropping him, but he’s the leading score in the division. If he had scored even half the chances he’s missed we’d be in the play off places at least. That’s not a dig at Tammy, he’s still learning and is way better than any other striker we could get in. 

I agree on Elmohamady, he has become a real liability and we do have cover down the right. Taylor I think will stay because even if we get in a decent replacement we’ll still need back up. By all accounts Taylor wasn’t terrible yesterday, although I wasn’t there. 3 or 4 in would be excellent. 

3 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

You right, he should pick Jack and Axel. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

Â