Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I did say he left a broken manger - and not his fault either imo 

I don't know Dave....Every Manager has difficulties.

Even Ron S had spats with Ellis and Bendall

Lambert....No not for me.

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't know Dave....Every Manager has difficulties.

Even Ron S had spats with Ellis and Bendall

Lambert....No not for me.

But we're not talking about spats TRO - Lerner took one arm and well and truly yanked ( no pun intended ) it up his back - never to be freed.

i honestly believe Lambert had the makings of a good manager and would probably have been served better by staying at Norwich for a while longer.

TRO - we broke him - you could tell this by his interviews and I reckon getting sacked probably came as respite for him..

with hindsight you can argue the job he did wasn't half bad - given his limited resource.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

We have had a shocking run of ‘managers’ some of which I would debate actually have any degree of expertise in that role. All just my opinion of course but:

Gerard Houllier - not bad, could’ve been good but health meant he was gone.

Alex McLeish - dour, dreary and very poor tactically. Not even that likeable as a person. 

Paul Lambert - a half decent manager, forward thinking, I liked him. Stifled by Lerner’s purse strings, and poor results meant he lost the fans and dressing room.

Tim Sherwood - a complete charlatan, no tactical nouse, no football coaching abilities, just a fraud in a stupid gilet.

Remi Garde - the fall guy, no idea if he was any good, but frankly I doubt it.

Roberto DiMatteo - no understanding of team balance, player potential or tactics... not a manager, just another charlatan.

Steve Bruce - not a bad manager tbh, but set in his ways, defensively minded, dogmatic with decisions and opinions to a fault.   

Dean Smith - so far, I think he’s good. Seems astute, intelligent and had a good way with the players. Fingers crossed DS.

I agree with some of your assessments - the one I disagree most with is Sherwood, I believe he will have a career at the highest level.

The worst thing that happened to him was his mini success he had at Spurs  - it almost came too early for him.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, TRO said:

but that was with Them.....I would guess he has got better in time and has better players to work with now.

Like other managers we have had, they matured with us...i.e Saunders,Little,Taylor

His posts were 3 weeks ago ???

8 hours ago, a m ole said:

DelayedHandyGeese-max-1mb.gif

Only time will tell - I have no reason to say this, other than I think that he is most probably reflecting on his career thus far - no doubt a good deal of recognition of his mistakes, the guy is young in managerial terms and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see him rebuild a career for himself - that's just my opinion of course.

35 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Only time will tell - I have no reason to say this, other than I think that he is most probably reflecting on his career thus far - no doubt a good deal of recognition of his mistakes, the guy is young in managerial terms and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see him rebuild a career for himself - that's just my opinion of course.

His career in management so far:

- Spurs manager, finished 6th, sacked after six months.

- Villa manager, left us in 19th position in the Prem, sacked after 9 months (still way too long).

- Swindon Town Director of Football, they got relegated to League Two, sacked after 8 months.

You’re entitled to your opinion, of course, but I’m not sure what it’s based on. He’s the ultimate charlatan in football. Looks the part with his designer stubble and the ‘Sherwood gilet’ and his cheeky confidence was infectious to the point he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He doesn’t have a clue.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

But we're not talking about spats TRO - Lerner took one arm and well and truly yanked ( no pun intended ) it up his back - never to be freed.

i honestly believe Lambert had the makings of a good manager and would probably have been served better by staying at Norwich for a while longer.

TRO - we broke him - you could tell this by his interviews and I reckon getting sacked probably came as respite for him..

with hindsight you can argue the job he did wasn't half bad - given his limited resource.

Massively agree with this, in hindsight I think he did a great job keeping us up as long as he did.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Sherwood is THE worst manager we have ever had in my lifetime as a villa fan (so from Big Ron onwards)

He is an absolute fraud and will never achieve anything in the game as a manager. 

He got us to an FA cup final though.

As you say he wasn’t really a manager. Was just winging it. 

Keeping on topic I reckon players like Bree, Landsbury and El Ghazi will have a chance to impress in the next week. They still play a part for us this season. They have the ability so it’s up Smith and his team to get the best out of them. The attitude may be the issue.  Smith has spoken about how important the attitude of a players is to him 

14 hours ago, Dave J said:

Navigating to what exactly another season in the championship  ? Are you one of those who still thought he could deliver - I say again, he should have gone at the final whistle.

He left us in a fine mess - I have zero empathy whatsoever for him.

OK but you did not address the point i made about who we could have replaced him with considering we had no money at the time...in your opinion, was no manager at all better than bruce?

per your question, yes...we were 90 mins away from promotion so we came damn close, therefore i was willing to see how the start of the season played out and i believe we chose the correct time to dismiss him.

considering the summer we had, i 100% disagree that he left us in a 'mess' and the fact that the team we're left with appears to be strong enough to mount a promotion push backs that up...Saturday was proof of what this team can do with some fresh ideas guiding them and if we average performances for the remainder of the season even 70-80% of what we saw saturday we will indeed be, dare i say it, there or thereabouts....

EDIT: just seen you said sherwood will have a career at the highest level, so lets continue this chat when you sober up ;)

Edited by tomav84
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dave J said:

I agree with some of your assessments - the one I disagree most with is Sherwood, I believe he will have a career at the highest level.

The worst thing that happened to him was his mini success he had at Spurs  - it almost came too early for him.

IT's ok Dave, I have an unexplainable and unreasonable love for Tim Sherwood too, don't let them bully you with logic ;)

Love the guy, and always wished he could have been at Villa in some capacity, passionate and always has nothing but good things to say about us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave J said:

If this was case why has he never managed anothdr side since us? He didn't last very long at Swindon town despite claiming he wasn't the manager.

I feel confident with Smith that we actually have a long term plan now and one that is backed by the new owners and that the players and coaches all buy into. 

Hopefully this will see an end to the short termism of the Xia / Bruce era  as I don't think all these loan players have ultimately done us any favours.

So knowing he has a plan and a style let's hope he can implement it and the squad can execute it effectively...and then trust that it's the right plan. Easier said than done.

It's a case of so far so good, my Walsall mate tells me we will go on long winless streaks under Smith, I don't know if that's true and I would argue that with Walsall and to a degree with Brentford that Smith just didn't have the raw material at his disposoal to do what he wants as consistently as he will with our squad.

Smith has always seemed to have got more out of so called " lesser " players and moulded them into effective, attactive teams.  Bruce signed talented individuals and threw them onto the pitch and sometimes they clicked but this season especially they seemed confused ( and so was I ) by what they were being asked to do.

It won't be boring that's for sure.   

• Like 2

Â