Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's weird how the more you hear from and about DS the more you like him.

Its weird to me that whatever he does some way translates into what a great coach he is - you seen the way he laces his shoes - world domination awaits !

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Its weird to me that whatever he does some way translates into what a great coach he is - you seen the way he laces his shoes - world domination awaits !

I understand where you’re coming from to a certain point, but admit it, you’re a little salty over the performances so far under Smith ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I understand where you’re coming from to a certain point, but admit it, you’re a little salty over the performances so far under Smith ?

Salty ? 

I wasn't as taken as some , with his appointment. Will qualify that and say that so far he doesn't seem to have put a foot wrong. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yet another positive development, Bruce merely expected the players to "put wor boots on", whereas Smith pushes the envelope by tying the laces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, hippo said:

Nothing like ten posts a day before stating he only ever finished mid table at Brentford and Walsall ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Could we just not all agree never to mention that guy again? 

All past managers will be mentioned from time to time for comparisons or historical reasons.

You cannot just ignore them, however much you might like to. :D

21 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

All past managers will be mentioned from time to time for comparisons or historical reasons.

You cannot just ignore them, however much you might like to. :D

Nope. In my mind there hasn’t been a manager between O’Neill and Smith!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

our problems after said final whistle were far bigger than the manager as we have since learned. we didn't have a pot to piss in at that time, so had no money to pay off bruce and his backroom and certainly not the small fee we paid brentford for smith. do you remember that we were seriously contemplating administration right? so with no money, who do you think we could have realistically replaced him with at the time? or are you one of those that claim ANYBODY could have done a better job than bruce?

i know folks dont want to hear this, but credit where it's due to bruce for navigating us through the summer and rebuilding in a short space of time after the takeover (in spite of the lack of CB), and then not having a disastrous start to the season. it was the right time to hand the reigns over in the end and fortunately it seems like the smith gamble is starting to pay off

Navigating to what exactly another season in the championship  ? Are you one of those who still thought he could deliver - I say again, he should have gone at the final whistle.

He left us in a fine mess - I have zero empathy whatsoever for him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, romavillan said:

Some of us were asking for Smith  the xmas before that...

some were asking in Oct 2016......hindsight is an exact science.

Dean Smith is the future and that's what we should be focusing on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nothing like ten posts a day before stating he only ever finished mid table at Brentford and Walsall ;)

but that was with Them.....I would guess he has got better in time and has better players to work with now.

Like other managers we have had, they matured with us...i.e Saunders,Little,Taylor

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Nope. In my mind there hasn’t been a manager between O’Neill and Smith!

That Lambert fella had all the hallmarks of a good manager at least until Randy forced him into an abyss that he is unlikely to recover from - he joined as a bright energetic forward thinking manager and left a broken one ?

26 minutes ago, Dave J said:

That Lambert fella had all the hallmarks of a good manager at least until Randy forced him into an abyss that he is unlikely to recover from - he joined as a bright energetic forward thinking manager and left a broken one ?

The same old lines rolled out after the last Ipswich game...." i thought we were excellent".....

words from a manager, is not the be all and end all.....but they do give an indication the guy knows what he's talking about.

nebulous soundbites do not fill me with confidence.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

The same old lines rolled out after the last Ipswich game...." i thought we were excellent".....

words from a manager, is not the be all and end all.....but they do give an indication the guy knows what he's talking about.

nebulous soundbites do not fill me with confidence.

I did say he left a broken manger - and not his fault either imo 

We have had a shocking run of ‘managers’ some of which I would debate actually have any degree of expertise in that role. All just my opinion of course but:

Gerard Houllier - not bad, could’ve been good but health meant he was gone.

Alex McLeish - dour, dreary and very poor tactically. Not even that likeable as a person. 

Paul Lambert - a half decent manager, forward thinking, I liked him. Stifled by Lerner’s purse strings, and poor results meant he lost the fans and dressing room.

Tim Sherwood - a complete charlatan, no tactical nouse, no football coaching abilities, just a fraud in a stupid gilet.

Remi Garde - the fall guy, no idea if he was any good, but frankly I doubt it.

Roberto DiMatteo - no understanding of team balance, player potential or tactics... not a manager, just another charlatan.

Steve Bruce - not a bad manager tbh, but set in his ways, defensively minded, dogmatic with decisions and opinions to a fault.   

Dean Smith - so far, I think he’s good. Seems astute, intelligent and had a good way with the players. Fingers crossed DS.

Â